This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New-fangled parking kiosks

So my town has these electronic parking kiosks. You put money in and it spits out a little ticket stub. You put the stub on your dashboard.

Had an out-of-towner approach me yesterday pretty much just looking to vent at someone who lives/works in town.

1. Yes, sir, I realize it's a hassle we don't have kiosks on any block. If you let me finish my sentence I would have said I'd been asking for one on my block for a year.

2. Yes, sir, I'm sorry that a couple of the kiosks apparently aren't working. I wouldn't put it past user error but it could be these things are just pieces of junk

3. Yes, sir, I'm sorry that they now charge for Sundays where they used to not do so. I guess our local government doesn't care about welcoming more people into town on Sundays when it's slow

4. Yes, sir, I'm sorry they doubled the cost for parking but it's really not all that much

I don't even know who to complain to about non-working parking kiosks. I doubt anyone in the borough knows either.

Quoth An Haddock View Post
    I don't even know who to complain to about non-working parking kiosks. I doubt anyone in the borough knows either.
    The answer is no one, apparently; and if you try to fight it...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08...arking-ticket/

Comment

well that's an interesting take on lawsuits.
      i wonder if it's part of a plan to discourage "frivolous" lawsuits, or just spite...

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        well that's an interesting take on lawsuits.
        i wonder if it's part of a plan to discourage "frivolous" lawsuits, or just spite...
        The word 'spite' has the unmistakeable ring of truth here.

Comment

Dunno if it is similar over in the states, but over here most of those kinds of machines have a notice on the machine saying "If these machines are out of order, DO NOT PARK here" as they ticket/tow anyone who does not have a ticket in their window since there is no way of verifying how long the car has been sitting there short of dragging out security camera footage.

Side note: with the exception of privately owned parking, most places that have those kinds of units usually only run until about 8pm, then it is free parking until 6am the next morning
          Violets are blue,
          Roses are red,
          I bequeath to thee...
          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
            Dunno if it is similar over in the states, but over here most of those kinds of machines have a notice on the machine saying "If these machines are out of order, DO NOT PARK here" as they ticket/tow anyone who does not have a ticket in their window since there is no way of verifying how long the car has been sitting there short of dragging out security camera footage.

Side note: with the exception of privately owned parking, most places that have those kinds of units usually only run until about 8pm, then it is free parking until 6am the next morning
            No dice. We have a kiosk roughly every other block. And parking is at a premium in town here. It's horrible on weekends as we're a restaurant town.

Ours run until 9pm because our town has had their status lowered to a "junk bond" rating because they owe so much money on a failed condo project. They also charge for Sundays now, whereas it used to be free to encourage people to come into town and spend money on a quiet day.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
              No dice. We have a kiosk roughly every other block. And parking is at a premium in town here. It's horrible on weekends as we're a restaurant town.
              Can you pay for parking at one of those other kiosks and drive and park at a block that doesn't have a kiosk?
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
              X