This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the MIL

My husband and I and 2 kids take my MIL to lunch at a national chain. She orders a caesar salad and some soup, we also order and wait. Food comes out, she eats some soup and then moves on to her salad. She says "Thats not a caesar salad". I ask her whats wrong and she says "IDK, but thats not a caesar". So, i try and trouble shoot what exactly is wrong with her salad when the server comes back around. She immediately goes "This is not a caesar salad." Hes says "Whats wrong with it". She says "I dont know, but thats not a caesar." He goes, very respectfully of course "Well ma'am, thats how we make the caesars here..." and explains a little. She responds. "Thats not a caesar". He offers her another salad of her choice, she declines and states "Thats not a caesar". I Look at the server and give him a big and genuine "Im sorry".

Manager comes right over and asks my MIL whats wrong with the salad. MIL cant name one thing wrong with it except that its "not a Caesar". Manager explains about how they make their salads and really tries to get out of my MIL what exactly she was expecting her salad to look like. Doesnt work, manager offers her another salad, MIL declines so manager states she'll just take it off the tab.

Once the staff is gone, I ask MIL again, whats wrong with her salad.....and then she goes "Well, its not a caesar, theres tomatoes." Really? REALLY? TOMATOES! You mean the tomatoes that are easily removed with a fork, or even your fingers?

I get the check and leave the guy a hefty tip and again heartily apologize to him. He accepts the apology with a grin, so I know hes over it but I was so embarassed and so was hubby.

And next time...im making her pick up the damn tab!

Personally, I love tomato on my Caesar. I know it's not traditional, but it's really tasty, especially if they used fresh anchovy, not paste.

Comment

I love tomatoes on my ceasar! I also like thinly sliced red onion.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I can't stand it when people don't use their words.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I've never had tomatoes on a Caesar and would certainly be startled ... but if it bothered me that much, I'd just pick 'em out and eat 'em separately. It must've been annoying that she knew exactly what it was she didn't like about the salad but, despite repeated requests for clarification, wouldn't say so.

Comment

Ah it's the old 'Read my mind' routine again. Always a crowd-pleaser.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

to be honest i'd probably be happy to have tomatoes. i find Caesar salad to be kinda boring... (although ... i probably also wouldn't have ordered it, for that same reason)

Comment

Ugh, she tells the server she doesn't know why she doesn't think it's a Caesar, but freely tells you. Had the server known, he would have taken the Caeser, removed the tomatoes and returned it to the woman and everyone would be happy. I hope you don't have to take her to restaurants often.
                Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                Fiancee: What?!
                Me: Nevermind.

Comment

We don't take her anywhere often. She lives 900 miles away. Teehee.

Also, I LOVE tomatoes!

Comment

actually, I believe she got exactly what she wanted. He comped the salad. I bet she still ate it.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                      I love tomatoes on my ceasar! I also like thinly sliced red onion.
                      Sounds good. I'll try that the next time I buy a head of romaine. My grape tomato plant is starting to produce quite nicely.

Back to the OP:

OK, I give up: what in the name of all that is sacred is wrong with stating the problem and not making an idiotic and infantile guessing game out of this matter?
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                        actually, I believe she got exactly what she wanted. He comped the salad. I bet she still ate it.
                        She actually didn't eat it because (say it with me now) " that's not a Caesar." she pushed the plate away in a very infantile gesture and glared at it with her arms crossed while talking to the manager, waiter and myself. Other than that, it's been a good visit with her. I'm Honestly not sure what her actual issue was.

Comment

Some people shouldn't eat out except at their own "familiar" restaurants. There are very few dishes that have one specific "official" recipe (and more often than not, even if it does, the majority of people don't make it the "official" way anyhow). Pick a dish, any dish, and every place you find it, it will be a little different. If you want something exactly as it's served at a particular restaurant, then go to that particular restaurant - cause odds are, it's going to be just a bit different anywhere else. And if you only like it how you make it, then stay home, or never order that out.

Madness takes it's toll....
                          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Eh, old people. My mother once ordered a salad from the dinner menu at a restaurant and then complained that it was too big. We tried to explain that she had ordered a dinner salad and so of course it was bigger than the the usual little appetizer/side dish kind, but nope. She was determined to be annoyed about it.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                            X