Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We get it here, too. Though I've never tried it. I'll stick to what I like.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      To the best of my understanding, that nasty stuff is most frequently used here in the States -- elsewhere, real sugar is the standard, not the exception.
      I'm under the impression it's because of the corn subsidies. HFCS is just much cheaper than sugar here.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
        I've seen it around here (PA) some.
        jones is here in both states ky and tn

Comment

I know you can find Jones Soda in stores in California. I've seen it in both Food 4 Less and Stater Bros (though haven't been in one of those for most of a decade).

And the Dublin, TX bottling plant for Dr Pepper continues to use cane sugar, but the parent company finally prevailed and has bought out the former owners so they will no longer be shipping it outside of their contract area.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

HFCS is just much cheaper than sugar here.
            It used to be, at least in the 80's. Now, however...? No idea. I know the price of corn has skyrocketed over the past 10~15 years or so, for reasons (theoretical or otherwise) best discussed on Fratching, not here.

Most (but not all) Coke put out in the pre-NewCoke era was sugar-type; I am one of those who thinks pre-NC Coke was better than Coke Classic. To the best of my understanding, that was when HCFS became the de facto standard.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I am one of those who thinks pre-NC Coke was better than Coke Classic.
              Not having been alive then, I can't speak to that. All I know is that I have a hell of a time saying no to a coke when I go to the Mexican place down the way that sells it sweetened with cane sugar.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
                Jones Soda also has no high fructose corn syrup, but I'm not sure if it's sold outside of Michigan.
                You can buy Jones soda in South Dakota.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Jones soda is in tx...Hansens is another brand that uses cane sugar

Comment

I was able to get Jones Soda in Tennessee when I lived there. Haven't looked for it in Illinois since I can't have can sugar either now. Jones Soda always had fun packaging, too.
                    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

I've seen it around here (PA) some.
                      I've tried Jones - their cola tasted like coffee to me. I quite like some of their other flavors.

COSTCO near me carries Mexican Coke. I've also seen Mexican Fanta in a few stores.

Canadian Coke sometimes has cane sugar, but the label says 'HFCS or Cane Sugar', so you never know what's in a given can.

I'm quite fond of Pepsi's Throwback, and that's sugar.
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Jones: Started showing up in groceries in notable amounts down here last summer or so. Almost nobody carries cans, tho, it's almost all bottles.
                        Quoth mhkohne View Post
                        I'm quite fond of Pepsi's Throwback, and that's sugar.
                        Yup, it's good stuff ^_^ In the US, it's likely to be cane sugar. In Europe, I would guess it could be either cane sugar or beet sugar.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          When I was younger caffeine helped calm me down supposedly since I was (still am) ADD - only back then the words "ADD" & "ADHD" hadn't been created yet. It operates similarly to Ritalin IIRC. Back then I was probably more ADHD than ADD.

So yes, Mom gave me coffee when I was in grade school - doctor's orders! ... Unfortunately she tried to dress it up for me with a couple of spoons of nestle quick, and it always turned into a weak chocolate milk drink that I could barely get down. I often wonder if I went back in time and gave my younger self a cup of coffee the way I like drinking it now... if it would have gone down more easily. I mean I loved the smell of coffee... but I associated the taste with those drinks from grade school.

These days I'm more ADD vs ADHD. So caffeine affects me more like it does others. Kinda. Sometimes if I go without it for a long time and then have say, a power drink or espresso, I'll spike and then crash soon afterwards and be very sleepy.

And as i drink more, my tolerance goes up of course. Had some diet cokes keep me up all night long cos I had given up on soda for over a month. but these days i drink more soda and coffee so they don't affect me much.
                          Also pure ADD. Ritalin seemed to make me more hyper, so they tried a diet of soy milk, Diet Coke and Coffee. For some reason, I wasn't allowed normal milk. Then again, I used to be lactose intolerant when I was little.

I've got it mostly under control now, but if you leave me with absolutely butt nothing to do, you bet I'll be running around screaming in less than five minutes. I can handle some boredom, but if I get completely bored...

IIRC, Caffeine also puts me to sleep. I downed around six cans of Mountain Dew, and ended up napping an entire afternoon.

On the upside, I got to drink Diet Coke at breakfast.

Comment

Not having been alive then, I can't speak to that. All I know is that I have a hell of a time saying no to a coke when I go to the Mexican place down the way that sells it sweetened with cane sugar.
                            I remember when they changed to New Coke and then to Coke Classic. And I remember the people complaining about both of them.

I don't know if you can get "coke syrup" in the store anymore - we use to get it when we were sick - but that's what the soda originally tasted like to me.

but if you do want coke with cane sugar... you might also want to look around for Kosher stores. During Passover, iirc, Coke does market sugar-cane sweetened soda (HFCS isn't Passover-kosher). look for these symbols

Comment

I remember when they changed to New Coke and then to Coke Classic. And I remember the people complaining about both of them.

I don't know if you can get "coke syrup" in the store anymore - we use to get it when we were sick - but that's what the soda originally tasted like to me.

but if you do want coke with cane sugar... you might also want to look around for Kosher stores. During Passover, iirc, Coke does market sugar-cane sweetened soda (HFCS isn't Passover-kosher). look for these symbols
                              Think I've seen Coke Syrup in Warehouse type places like Costco and Sam's Club, but not in a standard grocery store.

We also have Jones soda here in Southern CA, though I've only had their fairly yummy Cream variety. We also get a lot of Mexican Soda, so you'll see me walk out of Wak Mart with a Mexican Orange Fanta. It's really the best.

Now I really want a Mexican Fanta. You know, I think I'll be seeing my BF later. Maybe I can convince him...

Comment

It didn't matter if it was better or worse, just that it was different, as almost every blind test they did showed that people actually liked the taste of NC better than OC when they didn't already know which was which. But I agree that CC isn't as good as OC, and the change from sugar to HFCS might be part of it.

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X