Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forget the passport. We'll just wait for the killer bees to come to us!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget the passport. We'll just wait for the killer bees to come to us!

So On Friday I trek downtown to the government office to renew my passport. Good times. Woot-woot.

So, the system at our passport office is that you line up for a clerk to pre-check your papers and you are given a number and sent to a general waiting area to wait to be called. Each clerk has a window with a huge digital display over it that displays the number they are serving. There is a also a huge electronic sign directly in front of all of the chairs in the waiting area that displays which number is being served and at what window. Every time a number changes it makes a very loud BING-BONG noise that is pretty much impossible to miss.
    So basically, if you have your shit together at all, you are not going to miss your number. Especially on a day like Friday, where the room is 3/4 empty and there only 3 windows open. Definitely not too hard to keep track of, in my opinion.

(I know you all realize exactly where this is going, and thank you for your patience!)

So, there is a guy in the row of chairs in front of me who is gabbing on his cell phone at top volume. "Blah-blah-, yay Friday, goin' to take the boat out, Billy needs a new jet-ski first, I am an entitled wanker and everyone is really gagging to know about MY weekend plans."
    He finally hangs up and looks up at the HUGE, noisy electronic sign that is directly in front of his chair. Then he looks at this ticket.
    Back to the sign.
    Makes a puzzled "Whubba?" noise.
    Looks at ticket.
    Back to the sign.
    Ticket.
    Sign.
    Just for fun, he turns his ticket around and looks at it from a different angle, in case this changes things.
    Nope. Doesn't.
    Sign.
    And...then he proceeds to lose his shit.

He goes storming up to one of the windows where a clerk is serving someone else, (someone who was capable of keeping one eye on the HUGE, GIANT, Bing-Bonging electronic sign) and lets loose.
    Some highlights:
    "For Christ sake, you people are supposed to keep an eye on things around here!"
    "If someone doesn't show up when their number is called, doesn't that seem WEIRD to you? Wouldn't you INVESTIGATE that?" - I swear, I can't even convey the tone of voice he was using when he said this. Just, total disgust at the incompetence that he is forced to deal with. It made me feel so stabby.

He ends up talking to someone who I assume was a manager, and unfortunately, they decide that whichever clerk is finished first will see him next. (total BS, in my opinion. Make the guy take a new number. Ass. )

But even that's not good enough for assport man. He wants one of the clerks to stop processing someone else's paperwork, and take care of him immediately. Yep. Make a paying customer, who managed to keep an eye on the GIANT RED GLOWING BING-BONGING SIGN gather all their paperwork together, leave their business half-finished and go back to their seat to wait again.
    Yeah, not happening, thank goodness.

So the guy walks back to his chair, but the entire time he is looking around the room, trying to make eye contact with people so they can commiserate with him, all the while shrugging his shoulders and making this exaggerated "isn't this CRAZY" face. No-one backs him up, mainly because they are all paying more attention to the GIANT EXTREMELY NOTICEABLE SIGN at the front of the room.

And then, the best part. There is a lovely couple next to me and it is obvious that English is not their first language. They seem completely perplexed by this idiot, and they are worried that there is something else they need to be doing besides watching the HUGE IMPOSSIBLE TO MISS SIGN. The man turns to me and asks me in broken English
    " We only need to look at sign?"

Me: Very loudly, and very much directing this towards Captain Assport " Yes. That's all you need to do"

Nice couple confer for a moment, but I think they still can't figure out what just happened. Nice husband shows me his number: "So sorry, but this is all I need?"

Me: "YEP. You only need to watch for your number. It's pretty simple, actually."
    Short silence while nice husband processes this.

Then he says " Why didn't that man watch numbers?"

Me: "Good question! I guess he was too busy on his phone!"

Captian Assport actually turns around his chair to make sure I can't miss the death look he is giving me, and almost misses his turn again as the clerk is waving him down from her window!

Me: pointing to the clerk" You're going to miss your chance again Buddy!" (said with a big bright smile)

My god. What is with people?
    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

what a moron. i'd like to say he'll have learned his lesson but ... yeah, can't say that, not when he almost lost his spot. again.

Comment

As an ex-travel agent I can probobaly fill in the preceding and following scene(s):

TA: And your name as it appears on your passport?
      CA: Bob Snufflebucket
      TA: Is it Bob or Robert on your passport?
      CA: WHA?! I don't need a passport - I'm only flying to <Canada /Mexico /Bermuda>! Just sell me the ticket!!!eleventy!!!
      TA: *thus ensues the directions to get a passport, docs needed etc. all of which will have to be repeated because the first few times CA will not write anything down and/or their cell phone cuts out*

Day of flight:
      TA: Hi, this is aunti...
      CA: This is Bob! The plane took off without me and I was waiting in the bar! They never even called my name! FIX THIS!!!
      TA: *looking at availability for further flights out and know he will be on standby most likely for the rest of the day thus ensues oh, I can't even type it all - the instructions for repairing dumbass mistakes is to painful to recount*

And if I'm "lucky":
      TA: Hi, this is aunt...
      CA: This beach sucks! It is all rocky not white sandy like I imagined!
      TA: *this is the beach I repeatedly told you was not a white sand beach and showed you actual pictures of what it looked like? That beach?!*

Comment

Quoth I am the Lizard Queen!! View Post
        My god. What is with people?
        That's the question we all seem to ask here, at CS, every day. Sadly way too many people are EW's and SC's.

He's a nasty combination of both.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

At our DMV, we have the Bing-Bong signs that make the sound and say the number twice, and people STILL miss it.

(As an aside, I always have this almost uncontrollable urge at the DMV to grab fistfuls of numbers from the ticket machine and then go outside and scalp them.)
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

We've had SO much delicious SC pwnage around here lately, I was hoping that #484 would see the '483' on the GIANT RED GLOWING BING-BONGING SIGN and when Entitled Wanker is about to get waved over stand and declare: "No! I do not yield!"
            Bless your ESL folks though, talk about pitchin' you a softball!

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            (As an aside, I always have this almost uncontrollable urge at the DMV to grab fistfuls of numbers from the ticket machine and then go outside and scalp them.)
            Thank Dog I'm not the only one! (And not just the DMV either.) It would be line cutting though, I would be taking the tickets from those who would come after me. Still tempting.
            (And am now reminded of Beetlejuice's attempt to number jump. That didn't work out so well.)

Comment

Would you believe I've seen worse. I've seen this system, with an added 'estimated wait time' on both the ticket and the Big Glowing Sign (tm) and someone will take a ticket and promptly leave the building.

Oh, I'm sorry. Is waiting for service in the place providing the service too much for you to handle? Are there too many of the ordinary unwashed peons in this near-empty room for you? Grow up and wait in the waiting room like everyone else dumbass. That's what it's there for.
              Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                Would you believe I've seen worse. I've seen this system, with an added 'estimated wait time' on both the ticket and the Big Glowing Sign (tm) and someone will take a ticket and promptly leave the building.

Oh, I'm sorry. Is waiting for service in the place providing the service too much for you to handle? Are there too many of the ordinary unwashed peons in this near-empty room for you? Grow up and wait in the waiting room like everyone else dumbass. That's what it's there for.
                for some people, they see "oh i have 20 mins" so they decide to go have a quick smoke, or they're choosing not to inflict their weekend plans on the room at large and are choosing to have a quick phone conversation outside.... sometimes, they're running back to the car to get a book....

i'm just playing devil's advocate and offering up possibilities...
                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

yeah but that's still no one else's fault for them missing their spot. especially when they act like the whole operation's suppose to stop to wait for them.

kinda like my jury duty today. sure i had to sit and wait quietly for 45 minutes before i got to leave. it's why i took care of my potty break, and everything else i had to do before i went in.

Comment

auntiem you have some great stories!! More more more!

Yes, he was special fellow all right.

when Entitled Wanker is about to get waved over stand and declare: "No! I do not yield!"
                    I swear, I am making it my mission to say this to one person today!!! That is awesome!

Yes, I agree that some people would see the " estimated wait time 20 minutes" sign and try and do something productive or go for a quick smoke break, but I personally would never trust a sign enough to do that. Because you know the one time you take it to heart and run out to your car, the wait will be only 5 minutes and then you are hooched. And like PepperElf said, if that happens you only have your stupid self to blame.

The again, I also like to get to the airport about 3 hours before my flight leaves, too. I may have issues.....
                    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

auntiem you have some great stories!! More more more!
                      Ask and ye shall receive:
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...highlight=real

After a dozen years at that job my motto was "Some people shouldn't leave the house let alone the country."

Comment

some people would see the " estimated wait time 20 minutes" sign and try and do something productive ...I personally would never trust a sign enough to do that....you take it to heart ... the wait will be only 5 minutes and then you are hooched.
                        The normal person comes back in, sees that they're hooched, and goes back up to the ticket dispenser for a new number. (Probably thinking, "Hey, bet I don't have to wait long.)

The SC takes us back to the top of the thread again.

(And am an early bird at the aerodrome too. Best people watching ANYWHERE, and with books/movies/tv/music on the phone, waiting isn't NEARLY as tedious as it was "back in my day.")

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          The normal person comes back in, sees that they're hooched, and goes back up to the ticket dispenser for a new number. (Probably thinking, "Hey, bet I don't have to wait long.)
                          I brought in my DS/book/study notes and caught up on them while waiting to see someone. Since they've now gotten rid of rego stickers for cars, I only have to go to the DMV to upgrade my licence in December, then after that for renewals. (technically before they ditchd the stickers, you could go and pay it at the post office before the rego date, but I preferred to pay it at the DMV since I got the sticker right there and then. Now I pay it at the post office)
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I renewed my license early this year, and I noticed the new electronic sign, being such as you described.

Said sign having *EIGHT* numbers, to allow for a crapload of numbers to be called at once and remain on the board long enough for everyone to see them. Even with 12 terminals running.

Except... there was one guy who waited for the customer to show up, and after a minute, he pressed the button a few more times, making number 134 appear eight times on the board.

Which meant that, though 134 had an 800% better chance at noticing his number, numbers 106, 108, 109, 257, 452, 522 and 899 did not.

Within a few minutes, ALL the terminal attendants were pressing the buttons rapidly, and calling the numbers loudly, and the whole point of the machine that goes PING! had gone out of the window, and gotten noise complaints.

Quoth Les Claypool
                            I been to hell, I spell it... I spell it DMV
                            Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Working...
                            X