This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to start an ironic flame war...

I don't remember if I ever posted about this before but it's just in my head right now.

How to start an ironic flame war. ... cos I did start one in the online RPG I use to play.

The flames came because I posted a thread about how to get free stuff in game.

The irony came from the fact that my advice was on the lines of "don't beg. use manners".

Still, it really got under people's collars...

I saw this more times than not on the slew of MMORPGS that I've played over the years. I don't know what it is, but for some reason telling people to not beg or harass people when looking for some help really pisses off a lot of people.

I'm of the opinion that those people who get pissed off are SCs in real life and have yet to come to the realization that in the online world, people can ignore you, report you, and tell you NO without any repercussions. Throwing a fit will not help you when the person on the other side of the internet connection has something you want and no reason to give it to you.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Yep, I've always told people not to beg in games. It really doesn't encourage people to want to help them.

The biggest issue with it was when I was a GM on a private server and it'd just cause them to whine. Yeah, a swift kick off the server because they kept at it usually shut them up when they returned.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        the person on the other side of the internet connection has something you want and no reason to give it to you.
        And now, because of the ill-mannered request has a good reason to not give it to you.

I find it small of me, but so many years of retail and food service wore my skin thin and I'll occasionally indulge in a moment of schadenfreude when this scenario plays out.

"What? 'GIMME 500 Gold!' You just joined our alliance yesterday and that's the nicest you can ask?"

Go Fish.

Comment

It's bad if you allow it. Most games I play are war and guild/team/alliance related, beggars and whiners get booted, looted and zeroed out.
          “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
          ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I saw this more times than not on the slew of MMORPGS that I've played over the years. I don't know what it is, but for some reason telling people to not beg or harass people when looking for some help really pisses off a lot of people.
            Yeah true noobs get offende by this.

The people who were offended by me however weren't the noobs but people who thought I was *being* a begging noob.

I really think they never read beyond the title of "how to get free stuff" because they were carrying on as if I was running around the game screaming "free stuff plz!" when... if they'd actually *read* my post they'd see that my advice was the exact opposite of what they were accusing me of doing.

One of the anecdotes from my original thread was about how I was in the game one day, falling asleep while playing. I suddenly saw someone in front of me and was thinking, "um what do you want", but I hadn't yet started typing anything.

He asked me, "Are you going to beg?" and when I replied "no" he started giving me stuff. I was the first person he met that day who hadn't begged so he wanted to reward me for not being a grabby jerk.

Yet... yeah, according to people replying I was suddenly the biggest beggar in the game.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              The irony came from the fact that my advice was on the lines of "don't beg. use manners".
              Manners. Oh, the horror. . . .

What is it with people?
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                Manners. Oh, the horror. . . .

What is it with people?

Maybe the people that despise manners believe that anyone that uses manners is somehow declaring themselves better then anyone else?
                Cast in the name of Death, Ye not living.

Comment

Reminds me of when I was still a fairly new paladin in FFXI. One of my Linkshell members kept begging for free money. I ignored the request still not feeling comfortable to deny him straight on. I was still new to this Linkshell myself, and didn't want to rock the boat.

Damn, now I miss FFXI. No one seems to have 360 copies in stock anymore.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    Damn, now I miss FFXI. No one seems to have 360 copies in stock anymore.
                    Why do you need so many copies?
                    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I know this is about NOT begging for stuff on a server... but this made me think of something that happened and gave me a chuckle...

I play World of Warcraft.. lots of characters, plenty experienced... I moved over to a new server and made a new one, and started playing... when I reached the 'big city' and it's trade chat, I just typed in 'Just got on to this server, hate being broke... will someone give me 10,000 Gold? =P'... it got laughs in trade, and despite the fact I was joking some kind soul came over and actually gave me 1500 Gold. Said it was cause I asked so nicely. Kinda made me go O.o. But was awesome. Just laugh when I think about it now.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                        Why do you need so many copies?
                        On the off chance that you aren't having a jest, that's short for Xbox 360.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There are 360 different xboxes?

I'm reminded of a comic put out by Dan Shive over at El goonish shive where he comments rather negatively on people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. He apparently received some strong responses to this from people angry at him about, his response was to defend his position and comment that he can't help but assume those so angry must be people who don't in fact wash their hands after going to the bathroom.
                          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Just the other day I put a guy on /ignore because every. single. time. he asked for something he'd repeat it in triplicate.

It was just normal things he'd want, though: checking to see if anyone wanted to run through a dungeon with him, or asking for a buddy for a particularly tough zone. Never the sort of grabby begging.

He just would always always ALWAYS ask in triplicate. And it finally annoyed me enough that I /ignored him.

[LFF] AnnoyingDude: Hey, anyone wanna do GB with a 23 Cappy?

Like that, less than a second apart.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              Just the other day I put a guy on /ignore because every. single. time. he asked for something he'd repeat it in triplicate.
                              lol!

Knock knock knock. "Penny."

Don't blame you for the block there Ses - just reading it sounds annoying. Wonder what the motivation/problem was.

Comment

Working...
                              X