This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and now i know why we don't see much sign-solicitation here

Now I know why I don't often see many hanging advertisements around here... Whenever the maintenance men see them they make rounds of all the buildings - top and bottom floors alike - to remove them.

I was out walking the dog when I saw one of the maintenance men pulling them. He asked me if I happened to know when they were hung up (roughly within the hour) cos he was hoping to catch the sign-hanger.

As he said, "The boss hates these."
    (I suspect he hates them too cos having to pull them down takes him away from other work)

Sadly though... I recognized the company that placed them. ... my insurance agent. I wonder if they're going to give him a call about it.

In most of the US, they're illegal when placed on public property. The question is, do local authorities removed them in a timely fashion, so they're not a nuisance? (Political signs, at least locally, are legal from three days ago to a few days after the election, then the people putting them up can be fined.)

Comment

No idea really. All I know is that this isn't public property so it's mainly just trespassing issues.

But that does bring up a good point - one is suppose to get permission before hanging adverts etc. The "South 2" roller derby team my BF & I are working with... they're big on placing advertisements at local businesses - but only if they've been granted permission. They don't ninja-post cos they're working on getting a good reputation, so that other establishments are happy to work with them.

So say... when I posted one of their business cards at a deli last night, even though it looked like it was pretty open to anyone to place cards, I still asked first.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
        In most of the US, they're illegal when placed on public property. The question is, do local authorities removed them in a timely fashion, so they're not a nuisance? (Political signs, at least locally, are legal from three days ago to a few days after the election, then the people putting them up can be fined.)
        seriously? Years ago when I was living in one apartment complex owned by this old couple they insisted on putting political signs on the apartment property for the candidates THEY liked but wouldn't allow anyone else to put out any. So it looked like everyone supported that candidate when it wasn't true.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          seriously? Years ago when I was living in one apartment complex owned by this old couple they insisted on putting political signs on the apartment property for the candidates THEY liked but wouldn't allow anyone else to put out any. So it looked like everyone supported that candidate when it wasn't true.
          While tacky, that's probably legal (local laws may vary), since it's private property.
          Last edited by Gurndigarn; 10-05-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

That reminds me, I need to find out what the laws are around here regarding placing political signs on private property. Last year some doofus put one on my lawn. I hadn't yet made up my mind about the candidates in that particular election, but I did NOT want ANYBODY'S sign on my lawn unless I put them there myself. It went straight into the garbage tote.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Pretty sure that the doofus was breaking the law, there.

I think the same thing goes for the multi-unit place not allowing the other side to be displayed.

Thankfully, yard signs don't seem to be a thing in this neighborhood. It might be that people are just too low on Maslow's Hierarchy to go there.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                That reminds me, I need to find out what the laws are around here regarding placing political signs on private property. Last year some doofus put one on my lawn. I hadn't yet made up my mind about the candidates in that particular election, but I did NOT want ANYBODY'S sign on my lawn unless I put them there myself. It went straight into the garbage tote.
                It's almost guaranteed to be illegal-- how bad is anyone's guess.

The better solution is not to throw it out-- it's to get a decent quality, weatherproof blank yard sign, permanent black marker, and permanent red marker. Take the red marker, draw a big circle with a slash through it on the sign they left. With the black marker, write in letters big enough to be read from the road "stop littering my yard with your signs", or something like that. Then pop that one beside or above the sign they left.

Comment

Update:

I was talking to the landlady today and saw a bunch of <pizza place> adverts hanging up inside and mentioned the ones I'd seen before.

Turns out, my insurance agent personally called to apologize and promised that it wouldn't happen again. That sounds more like him cos he's always been polite to me. (only insurance agent I've ever had who sends random "thank you for being my customer" cards etc)

Oh and the pizza place also apologized and sent her a pizza.

It's almost guaranteed to be illegal-- how bad is anyone's guess.
                  Trespassing I would guess, maybe mixed with littering (if you're feeling particularly evil ) The hard part would be to catch the culprit though.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    That makes me glad about our legislation re: political signs. The law simply states that no matter whether the property is private or not, signs can only be displayed while an election is on, and MUST be taken down at latest 48 hours after the election is over. (Perhaps it is a "grey area" regarding placards in windows or bumper stickers on cars, but we don't have much problems with that over here.)
                    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                      That makes me glad about our legislation re: political signs. The law simply states that no matter whether the property is private or not, signs can only be displayed while an election is on, and MUST be taken down at latest 48 hours after the election is over. (Perhaps it is a "grey area" regarding placards in windows or bumper stickers on cars, but we don't have much problems with that over here.)
                      personally i dislike the government dictating what i can and cannot post on my own private property. although i guess the signs may piss off neighbors who have different political views ...

Comment

In the US, the government, specifically, cannot prohibit the posting of signs on private property; it's a First Amendment thing. They can, however, dictate the time period in which they may be displayed. I suspect that this is mostly to go after people who have public access locations that would otherwise leave signs hanging on their fences for years.

HOAs and the like are not the government, and thus, are allowed to dictate what you do and do not post on your property if you are part of their territory. Which is why a guy I know had his condo association start to sanction him about his satellite dish (not allowed in the bylines); so, because he was ornery, he replaced that with the ugliest plastic lawn flamingos he could procure (those were allowed) until the neighbor who complained decided that the dish was the lesser of evils.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Reminds me of what my college (now university) tried to do some years back. They tried to force students into not displaying college logos, sorority/fraternity letters and symbols in the windows...of their off-campus apartments. I could have somewhat understood if it was on college property. But several blocks away? Pardon my French, but fuck that. Most of the "offenders" had the same attitude--it's not their property, there's not a damn thing they could do about it. Once that was pointed out to the college administration, it was quickly dropped.

Back on topic, when I had to distribute flyers, I always made sure to get permission. The exception, was when I worked as a courier...and got stuck dropping coupon packets off at a couple of apartment buildings. Not exactly the best of buildings either--think of dirty hallways and light bulbs hanging from strings. Since I was occasionally shadowed (watched) by my boss, I didn't have much of a choice. Ran into the landlord for one of those buildings, and he was pissed. Can't say I blame him, but I had a job to do. Rather than deal with him again, I'd simply wait until it got dark.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            In the US, the government, specifically, cannot prohibit the posting of signs on private property; it's a First Amendment thing. They can, however, dictate the time period in which they may be displayed. I suspect that this is mostly to go after people who have public access locations that would otherwise leave signs hanging on their fences for years.

HOAs and the like are not the government, and thus, are allowed to dictate what you do and do not post on your property if you are part of their territory. Which is why a guy I know had his condo association start to sanction him about his satellite dish (not allowed in the bylines); so, because he was ornery, he replaced that with the ugliest plastic lawn flamingos he could procure (those were allowed) until the neighbor who complained decided that the dish was the lesser of evils.

^-.-^
                            Yes and no. We recently had two articles in the local paper about political signs. Local governments do have time limits on signs being posted....
                            http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...etter_wai.html

But the Supreme court ruled back in 1994 that time limits don't matter when it's private property....
                            http://blog.syracuse.com/opinion/201...ee_speech.html

HOA's do have different rules since when you live there you agree to abide by their rules. So if they have time limits you do need to adhere to them. But as for dishes, those are also allowed, with restrictions...
                            http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
                              HOA's do have different rules since when you live there you agree to abide by their rules. So if they have time limits you do need to adhere to them. But as for dishes, those are also allowed, with restrictions...
                              http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule
                              My story was from before 1996, when that rule went into place, and it was rather larger than the 1 meter diameter limit.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X