X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, is that ever going to work?

Related by a coworker.

CW went into a local $BIGRETAILSTORE to look for a TV. He'd been wandering around some other big retailers and he saw one he liked in the latest store. Only it was a few hundred more than the place down the road.

So he asked a manager if he was willing to price match.

"No."

That surprised him, as the retailer in question often has a "We'll beat it by 10%" sign.

CW pointed this out. Manager then offered this. "Go and get a written quote and I'll match it"

Seriously? How is that ever going to work? Match a price from a place the customer is sent to?

Predictably, CW went and bought the TV at the other place and came back to show the receipt as a "written quote". Cue CBF from manager. CW said the expression was worth the trip back to the store.

I've never hear of any place that will do price matching on the customers word alone, though usually they rely on sales fliers.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

^ This. Sadly, there's too many scammers out there to simply take someone on their word about pricing. Now, sometimes you get lucky and the store might have competitor's flyers on hand to take a look in, but I've always seen the requirement as bringing in physical proof of the pricing at the other store.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
        ^ This. Sadly, there's too many scammers out there to simply take someone on their word about pricing. Now, sometimes you get lucky and the store might have competitor's flyers on hand to take a look in, but I've always seen the requirement as bringing in physical proof of the pricing at the other store.
        yeah. i was told at my last place that we could price match up to 5 bucks, but beyond that we'd need proof

Comment

And if its just the store's regular price, it might not be listed in any flyer, so there's nothing to bring in as evidence.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
            And if its just the store's regular price, it might not be listed in any flyer, so there's nothing to bring in as evidence.
            good point. although i know some stores can do a physical printout of the pricecheck.

my last store could. it would also include the time and date. But it wouldn't print out the store information, so the only way to truly prove it was from us would be if the register tape had the return policy on the back. normally it does but they also have plain white tape too.

Comment

Yeh, but what was the point of the person, in the OP's story, going to the other store to get a written quote just so store #2 could match it? If they're just gonna match it, might as well buy it at the original store.

Comment

There is occasional reason to do so - you know the first store and their after-purchase customer service is better or they have a better return policy.

In this case, if you're neutral between store #1 and store #2 and the manager has that attitude, the other store is getting your business.

Comment

To get around the "must be an advertised price" flyer requirement, the electronics stores around here either check prices online or call the store in question to ask about the price. There is absolutely no excuse for turning a customer away in order for them to verify the price themselves. I would say, nine times out of ten, that customer ain't coming back.

Comment

When I've gone in to price-match, they call the other shop and check what price they have on the item. They have the numbers for all the local shops by the phone and it only takes a minute or two.
                    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                      When I've gone in to price-match, they call the other shop and check what price they have on the item. They have the numbers for all the local shops by the phone and it only takes a minute or two.
                      They might also check to see if the item is in stock at the other store. Many places will not price match if the item is out of stock at the other store.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        I've never hear of any place that will do price matching on the customers word alone, though usually they rely on sales fliers.
                        mart of wall does

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          Many places will not price match if the item is out of stock at the other store.
                          The Bossman loves when people try to get him to price match on stuff that's out of stock with the other guys. We get that a lot, dealing with surplus parts.

"Oh, well, I can do that, too. Anything I don't have in stock is just $1. You'll never get a single delivery, but when you do, it's only $1!"

Yeah. He gets really snarky with people who are so utterly ignorant of the law of supply and demand, especially when we're the only supply in town (rarely, in the whole world).

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                            Some years back, I did a lot of sharpening, using a stone and Norton's honing oil. I'd bring Lee Valley Tools' catalogue to "Orange Apron", and show the page with the description and price (and picture of the can - showing size) as proof that someone else had the item at a lower price.

BTW, places with a reputation for low prices may have higher prices than their competitors - I was recently pricing the Dremel 7300 kit, and found the best price at "The guys who bought out Lansing and Building Box", second best (2 bucks difference) at Orange Apron, and over 10 bucks higher at "Floor Mart". I guess the reason their yellow face mascot is smiling is because he's fooled people into thinking they're getting a bargain while they're actually paying higher prices than at a competitor.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yeah that makes sense, taking advantage of people who just assume "Floor Mart" must be cheaper by virtue of being "Floor Mart", rather than doing the actual research.
                              "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Working...
                              X