Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents at Howl-O-Scream Busch Gardens!

Went to this event in the VA park for the first time. This is now my FAVORITE theme park; good prices, amazing food, decor was given 130% effort! The employees warned us later in the afternoon that at 6pm they would release the psycho clowns, werewolves, mutants, gouls, vampires, etc. And that at that time the park would become a PG-13 environment and that everyone would be free game to scare. So that and the signs at the gates AND through the park were pretty good disclaimers that it's going to get scary for little kids. Promptly at 6, smoke machines turned-on, the red and black lighting rose, creepy music filtered from the speakers and the sh*t got real in an awesome creepy way!

I don't know if some people didn't care, or figured it wouldn't be 'that scary' for their kids, or figured they were going to get their money's worth (Howl O Scream went until 11pm) even if their kids wet themselves. But there were parents right, left and sideways REAMING employees about the how inappropriate it was for small children and even SCREAMING in the faces of the costumed characters for scaring their kids! My boyfriend's mom was nearby when an actor scared a woman and her kids and she began screaming at the actor AND his mom too like she had something to do with it!

Sigh. Other than people not watching where they were going, and a few obnoxious drunks, we had a blast! Though we kept getting complimented on our 'costumes.' We weren't wearing costumes! (I felt like Jim Carrey in 'Once Bitten' : "But I'm NOT dressed like a vampire!!")

Although that reminds me that, even though you're 'terrified' it's not appropriate to run up to a random stranger, grab them in a bear hug and bury your face in their chest; you're liable to get punched or accused of being a pick pocket.

I also liked the parks zero tolerance policy on line cutting and saving spaces (can get you kicked-out without a refund); saw these girls try to sneak through the stroller lane to get on the train faster; they were sent back with all us regular folk. Same with the people who said "But our friends are up THERE!" Heehee.
    Last edited by LillFilly; 10-16-2012, 04:49 PM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

People don't read signs. *sigh* And screaming at the employees--classy.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You know, I don't like being scared, but on occasion my friends some how manage to convince me to go to a Halloween event somewhere. I remember once time they managed to do this because I was totally looped out on medication. The only thing I truly remember is this one guy dressed as a werewolf came jumping out, snarling, and all I could think to do as a response was to say,

"Oh lookit the big puppy!" I was sooo out of it. Apparently the guy in costume thought this was hilarious and instead of being all big and scary decided to cuddle against my side and then follow me around, snarling and "roaring" at the other guests and at times other employees who were trying to scare me.

Too bad I can't remember more of it.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        "Oh lookit the big puppy!"
        Niiice paisley horsey...
        [/Firesign]
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

OMG so true. EVEN the signs say its a pg13 scarefest and that parental discretion is advised/required. At the park i go to i have seen kids as young as 3-6 in the park getting scared by the scare actors and they were LAUGHING! THAT doesn't bother me. it means the kids and parents know what to expect. What DOES bother me is that parents yelling at the actors for screaming and chasing their kids. This happens at the park i go to as well. The actors do not touch you at all. I had one parent get MAJORLY PISSED OFF at me because i refused to take their side during the haunted event. I just calmly stated that if they read the signs it states 'Recommended for Guests over the age of 13.' The actor thanked me and i said with a smile while looking at the parent: "No problem. GLAD I could be of assistance to you."
          Parent walked off glaring at me. If looks could kill she would have been given a life sentence for murder.
          NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

First, that sounds really fun!

Second, they must be the same parents that take their tots into R rated films and then have a fit when their kid starts bawling.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
              "Oh lookit the big puppy!" I was sooo out of it. Apparently the guy in costume thought this was hilarious and instead of being all big and scary decided to cuddle against my side and then follow me around, snarling and "roaring" at the other guests and at times other employees who were trying to scare me.
              That sounds like a really awesome employee, & a great party!

Did he follow you home?
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

There's a local theme park that does the same thing beginning at 6 p.m. We took Khan a few weeks back and were sure to leave before then; some of the decorations that were up permanently (in daylight) were pushing it a bit. I'm disgusted that parents have so little regard for their children's feelings and then try to blame employees who are doing the jobs they were told to do.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

At least you had the sense to take your child out before things got "nasty" after dark. Some parents i fucking swear seem to look for an excuse to blame park employees and scare actors for doing the job they are required to do. Last Sunday I saw this 4 year old with her parents in the middle of an active scare zone. The girl was cracking up and "growling" at the monsters even asking her parents if she can keep one as a "pet". It was down right hysterical. Im sure the parents were smart enough to tell the girl that these monsters were just "playing" and it was all pretend. Like a big costume party.

"
                  NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAH, I used to work at Busch Gardens!!! Love that place!! I was in the nice gift shop in Ireland.

Howl O Scream was always my favorite time to work the park, too. Many stores in BG have air conditioning, but in the summer it's pretty pointless because we have to leave the doors open. In the fall it's nice and cool, the park is quieter, and you get all the fun stuff that happens after six....and it IS pretty spooky, parents who keep their timid kids around after the cut off deserve what they get (having to comfort frightened babies. I do feel awful for the kids, though).

That said sometimes the park employees initiate the suck; one decided to crawl under a bush and break the first rule (no touching) by grabbing my sister's leg. She jumped, kicked back, and broke his nose. XDDDDDD

Comment

Quoth Marszenka View Post
                      AAAAAAAAAAAAH, I used to work at Busch Gardens!!! Love that place!! I was in the nice gift shop in Ireland.
                      I use to work there also started at the corn dog place across from the stable then moved up to the special beer tasting room they put in at Octoberfest. Loved working there so much even with the stupid guest we had to put up with at times.
                      Last edited by protege; 10-27-2012, 02:58 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote tag :)
                      Lay your hands upon me
                      Like an angel from above
                      Put your arms around me,
                      'Cause you're fallin'

Comment

Quoth Marszenka View Post
                        "This is your chance to own a piece of Ireland."

Gosh, it's been ten years since I've seen that show ONE TIME and it still gets stuck in my head sometimes.

Comment

I installed and did field service on the original lighting control system in The Globe Theatre... in 1975...

The Compleate Shakespeare in thirty minutes!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
                            First, that sounds really fun!

Second, they must be the same parents that take their tots into R rated films and then have a fit when their kid starts bawling.
                            Or complain to the manager when their kid hears a swear word in that R-rated movie.

Same ones who take their kids into a pub then complain that there's alcohol being served or inebriated people around.

Or show up at parties that had an invitation clearly stating the event was to be adults only.

They'll take their kids where ever they chose, and expect the surrounding atmosphere to be changed to suit them.

Madness takes it's toll....
                            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

[off topic] OMG did you ride Verbolten?! That is like the best coaster EVER!!!!!

[/off topic]
                              What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Working...
                              X