This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No ID check?

So, I am staying in a fairly large room at a fairly large hotel in a fairly large chain.

I was having problems with my keycard earlier, so I went to the front desk to let them know.

I told the woman the room number and she just gave me a brand new card.

She was very nice, but holy...

I mean what's the point of showing ID at all in the first place if it's that easy to break through their "security"?

(side note..I am at a work thing so not paying for this room at all, but holy crap it's the largest I've ever been in. Meeting suite: two bathrooms..two separate entrance doors (with two separate room numbers even), a Murphy bed, a full size couch and two smaller lounging chairs. You get the picture... TV is kind of small though. Could also use a kitchen rather than a small microwave and fridge. )

I take it you never met this clerk before?

If I can recognize the guest and see them in the system, then I don't need to check their ID. Sometimes if I know I just checked them in a couple hours ago, I'll ask "what room did I put you in?" to jog my memory. But if I don't know the guest, then either ID or DOB is definitely needed!

If you don't know this clerk, then perhaps drop a word to management. That's a BIG security issue right there.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Pretty much what bhskittykatt said.

I kept losing or accidently discharging my hotel keys when I was in Tennessee, but the clerks knew me well enough that all they needed was my room number.

Comment

I know she hasn't dealt with me directly. It's slightly possible that she saw me getting checked in two nights ago because there were several people behind the desk at the time.

But that seems like such a slim possibility to me. Especially since many people were checking in for this particular conference that night.

But I may just drop a tip later about it, without mentioning the clerk's description. Maybe just a general "shouldn't everyone be checking ID for this?"

Side note again: I just looked up the brand. I didn't realize the parent company owned so many other brands as well. Yeesh. They have to be in the top 3 or 4 in the world....*checks*...top 6. Figured it would be pretty high.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
          But I may just drop a tip later about it, without mentioning the clerk's description. Maybe just a general "shouldn't everyone be checking ID for this?"
          That would be quite appropriate.

Side note again: I just looked up the brand. I didn't realize the parent company owned so many other brands as well. Yeesh. They have to be in the top 3 or 4 in the world....*checks*...top 6. Figured it would be pretty high.
          My brand was just acquired by a new company. Our old parent company owned several brands, mostly across the pond from here. Our new parent company owns several other companies with several other brands, many of which I'm more familiar with here in the States. It's making my head swim, figuring out which ones are our new cousins and which ones aren't.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

It's possibly the same holding company, then.

It's hard to choose one, though.

ETA: Hmm..I doubt that's it...this is actually incredibly hard to figure out. It's like a new acquisition happens every other day. Well, if it makes your head swim, mine will most certainly drown in those crazy currents.

Comment

It's possibly the same holding company, then.

It's hard to choose one, though.

ETA: Hmm..I doubt that's it...this is actually incredibly hard to figure out. It's like a new acquisition happens every other day. Well, if it makes your head swim, mine will most certainly drown in those crazy currents.
              Nope, that's not it. "Ebony Rock" is our new holder. They own "Rich Blonde Heiress" company as well as the "Windy-ham" brands, among others.

Comment

Working...
              X