This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UH no

I was shopping in the Mart of Wall with my sister in law and my niece while on vacation when my sister in law had to use the rest room. I was sitting on a bench playing with Lydia when this lady and her friend came up to me.

Lady: Excuse me is that Jax's little girl?
    Me: Yes it is.
    Lady to her friend: Yeah it is her isn't she cute?
    Friend to her: Yes she is.
    Friend to me: Can I hold her? Goes to take Lydia.
    Me moving the baby out of reach: No you can't.
    Friend: What?! Why not?!
    At this point Jackie came out.
    Jackie: Oh hi I haven't seen you in a while.
    Lady: Yeah its been a long time. By the way who is that holding Lydia?
    Jackie:That's my sister. Why?
    Lady:She was very rude to me and my friend and wouldn't let us hold her.
    Jackie:Of course she didn't she doesn't know you.
    At this point the lady and her friend just stormed off. Turns out it was someone Jackie barely new and she would have never let her hold the baby anyways. I was just shocked by the whole thing I mean really who thinks it's OK to do that?

Oh, hell no. If I was out somewhere with my goddaughter and some random person came up to me claiming to recognize her, there is no fing way I would hand her over. That makes me smart, not rude.

You're right. Who does that?

Comment

I had one person I didn't know hold my daughter when she was a baby (one week old). It was my husbands fire Chief, and he was right behind him. I'd seen pictures so I had an idea, but I was just introduced to him (hubbys basic graduation) when he took J and wandered off.

This is a man who has become like family and who I trust with my husbands life, not some random acquaintance.

Comment

Quoth tigger222 View Post
        I mean really who thinks it's OK to do that?
        I'm going to quickly jump into my Captain Obvious spandex here and point out that she did. Of course she'd probably turn vicious if someone asked to hold her child while she wasn't around.
        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth kpzra View Post
          I had one person I didn't know hold my daughter when she was a baby (one week old). It was my husbands fire Chief
          ..... and therefore someone you trusted (your husband) knew him; and presumably knew him well.

But I'm the same. I have never met my sister-in-law's brother, so if he'd come up to me when Ash or Josh were babies and asked to hold them, I'd have refused him until one of the rest of the family came up to introduce us.
          Then I'd have been embarassed and handed her/him over, of course. But as in the OP - the crucial part is that he is a stranger to me.
          He's the exact same level of relationship tot he kids as me - biological aunt/uncle - but I don't know him, so I'm not trusting the most precious and helpless family member to him!
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I would not have let her hold the baby either. You were entrusted with someone's child and did the right thing by not handing a baby over to a stranger, even one claiming to know the child.
            So she thinks you were rude? Fuck her, she's an obvious idiot and an asshat.
            I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

Oh no. My sister has a lot of friends I don't know and there'd be no way those "friends" would get to hold one of the kiddies. I'd be polite but firm, "Sorry, I don't know you. Until my sister introduces us, I'm going to have to say no."

Tables turned if one of my family members handed over one of my kids on the strength of someone knowing my name... There'd be one less setting at the family table come Thanksgiving.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                ... There'd be one less setting at the family table come Thanksgiving.
                And an extra large roast beast.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Never forget that kids are not even totally safe with some family members. With children, paranoia can be a bonus. Vigilance is your friend.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Lady:She was very rude to me and my friend and wouldn't let us hold her.
                    Hell she sounds like a customer whining at a manager...

even worse so that it's over whether or not she had the right to hold someone else's baby without permission from the parent

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                      Never forget that kids are not even totally safe with some family members. With children, paranoia can be a bonus. Vigilance is your friend.
                      I never forget.

I KNOW some members of my extended family were abused. I have my suspicions as to the abusers. And my brother knows those suspicions - I had no intention of letting my niece and nephew anywhere near them.

Unfortunately, ALL I have (for the living abusers) is suspicion, not even anything to take to the police. Just hunches.
                      Certain of the abusers are answering to a Higher Authority (presuming you believe in Heaven, Hell and/or Karma); so children are safe from those ones.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                      X