This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously Qwest/CenturyLink?

Backstory: Mom works from home when she's not traveling. Since she uses a voice over IP phone that needs a ton of bandwidth, we need to get the absolute best plan that they got available.

however, because the alternative, Comcast, is a PIECE OF @&%*ing √¬∫†, we switched to Qwest and CenturyLink...unfortunately they did several really really crappy things...

They borked our phone up, screwed up the internet, then expected us to pay for their screw-up.

Yes, seriously. -_-; we got the house resided last year. Then we noticed that our landline wasn't working. So we called them, got them to come out, and they fixed it. Unfortunately they turned our freaking cable box into a birds nest and massively borked it up. So whenever the phone was used? It'd take out the internet and we'd have to reboot it.

Slight rant - mom's intellect score took a massive penalty. She seemed to forget that we're paying for these devices called "Cell phones". Numerous times, we would have some kind of exchange like this...

Me: Hello?
    Mom: Did they fix it yet?
    Me: No, and because you just called the landline, you knocked the internet out."
    Mom: DOOH!

Me: Hello?
    Mom: hi, did they fix it yet? Is Qwest around?
    Me: What number did you call?
    Mom: But I thought I called-OH NO I CALLED THE LANDLINE!!
    Me:

Then at one point, mom calls a freaking pharmaceutical hotline at 11 at night...USING THE LANDLINE. -_-; she even used the darn thing earlier to call someone and then when I got mad at her (Cause she caused me to disconnect from a game of League of Legends. I could get BANNED for that!) she said "oh I didn't know that outgoing calls knocked it out too". Uhm...yeah right. -_-; ugggh...

At one point, we notice footprints in the snow from a snowstorm and they hadn't fixed it. Someone had been by in the day and it wasn't us. Eventually, they come by and fix it.

But wait...they want us to pay for their own screw-up. What the hell?! YOU messed up. They kept calling and said we owed them money for fixing the box and we refused to pay because they never told us it'd cost money. They threatened to send us to collections and we then told 'em off after we called the BBB and they sided with us. (Yes, the BBB actually didnt' side with the business.)

They demanded an outrageous amount of money for better service

Because mom would always suck down all the bandwidth and every time she tried to screen-share at all, the quality of the call would go to crap. So she asked CenturyLink if they had a better service. They said that if we wanted a better service than we already had, it'd cost about an extra $300 a month.

THREE HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS A MONTH?!? Who the heck pays that much?!? I don't even think BUSINESSES pay that much for internet!! That BETTER have been some kind of glitch or something but mom was told, by a person, that they'd have to pay an extra $300 a month if we wanted better internet. WTF, if we're paying THAT much, we better be able to connect to the internet during a power outage! Mom told them no so we'll have to deal with that shitty internet. -_-;

so it looks like w'ell ahve to go back to Comcast...and you all know Comcast spends about as much on Customer Service as you'd spend to get a Twix bar at a vending machine.
    Kangaroo Squee!

What the hell kind of speed were they promising for $300/month?

Sounds like you didn't get much of an improvement when you switched.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Digitalpotato View Post
      THREE HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS A MONTH?!? Who the heck pays that much?!? I don't even think BUSINESSES pay that much for internet!!
      Depending on the actual speed being offered, that might be reasonable. Fractional T1's (which you will LOVE as a gamer) are right around that cost - I'd make them run new lines from the distribution box to your house for that price, though.. maybe replace all the connections as well (not that you couldn't do this yourself for about $30).

Comment

They threatened to send us to collections and we then told 'em off after we called the BBB and they sided with us. (Yes, the BBB actually didnt' side with the business.)
        Watch your back on that one though. Remember, the BBB has no legal authority so even if they side with you, it might not remove the bill, or the mark from your credit report. (unless the company agrees that it does... and still watch your credit report to make sure it's not there)

I'd also consider contacting the FTC who DOES have legal powers in this area.

Comment

Quoth Digitalpotato View Post

THREE HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS A MONTH?!? Who the heck pays that much?!? I don't even think BUSINESSES pay that much for internet!!
          They actually do. The hotel I used to work at actually paid even more than that. We had two $300 a month connections, one for the guest rooms, and one for our front desk connection (we had to do continuous back ups to the corporate servers, so it used a lot of bandwidth). For a high bandwidth business connection that is actually kind of reasonable.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Checking my provider, their business T1 service starts at just about $300/month. Their highest offering clocks in at about $1500/month.

However, my 6000/768 aDSL (which clocks in at close to top speed for me) only runs me $20/month with an annual contract (which comes out to about $23/month after you add in the statute-related fees).

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A bit OT, but what kind of game bans you for having legitimate connection problems? That sounds like a seriously dick move on their part.

Comment

League of Legends is a head to head ranked team MOG. It's very competitive, and as with any game of its sort, there are a lot of people would rather disconnect their internet rather than lose a match. >_>

More info on the LoL anti-disconnect system.

Generally speaking, it's suggested that if your connection isn't stable, you shouldn't even try to play because it's disrespectful to the teammates who are likely to take a hit to their rankings because their team was down a man.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                X