X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If that's all my business is worth.

Ok this may sound petty.

Basically there are now two convenience stores that I will never shop at again. First one I bought a bag of milk for 4.99, I gave him a 5. He takes it and closes the till and gives me no change. I don't say a word and walk out with my purchase. Last night I bought two drinks from another store, my total was 3.04, I gave 3.05 and again I got no change.

I know it's only one cent but it's my one cent. If my business is worth so little to you that you won't give me my change then you can have that change and I'll just go elsewhere.

On the flipside the smootie place in the mall has multiple times of instead of giving me the 23 cents just handed me a quarter. Them I'll go to anytime.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

I'd be like "Open the till and give me my change."

Comment

Here in the Netherlands, we round to the nearest 5 cents, generally rounding numbers in the middle in the customer's favor. And I honestly don't mind, it saves a lot of spare, nearly-useless change in my wallet.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
        Here in the Netherlands, we round to the nearest 5 cents, generally rounding numbers in the middle in the customer's favor. And I honestly don't mind, it saves a lot of spare, nearly-useless change in my wallet.
        same here.

Basically anything that ends in 1 or 2 rounds down to the nearest whole number, 3, 4, 6 and 7 round to the next five cents (up or down), 8 and 9 round up to the next whole number. (so i.e. an item that is $25.01 would be $25, whereas something that is $25.03 would be $25.05)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Canada doesn't even do pennies anymore. The useless pennies are just annoying anyway. I usually just tell them to keep it because I don't want it in my pocket.

Comment

I certainly (and alliteratively) agree that pennies are pretty pointless.

But the point is that we DO still use them here (and apparently wherever grem is), and both of these clerks (if not as general accepted policy of the stores themselves) unilaterally decided to not give gremcint HIS money back.

(I'm not going to use the phrase "It's the principle of the thing" ---I tried that here once over a four dollar matter and got lambasted.)

This is particularly hypocritical because if a customer was a penny short and reached into one of our drawers to snag one, I'm pretty sure we'd be incensed. (Pretty moot point, given the prevalence of the "got a penny...need a penny...." trays, but still.)

Gotta come down with Akasa on this one: "Open the till...."
            Last edited by sms001; 11-07-2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I agree. Open the till.

Had this happened to me, I's say it's not that I didn't get the penny. It's that YOU made the decision not to give ME MY penny. Without even asking. How hard is it to scoop a penny out of the till anyway? The Canadian system of doing away with pennies and rounding up/down? Great. I'm all for it. But until we adopt it, it's your job to give the customer his change.

Sometimes it really is the princlple of the thing.
              Women can do anything men can.
              But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
              Maxine

Comment

Yup. Not cool.

Those were gremcint's pennies to do with as germcint pleased.

It's not up to some clerk to decide that gremcint didn't really want them, particularly as that's apparently not the case.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I agree, often I'd rather not even bother to have the penny back - but it's MY money, and I decide. If it's ok for the clerk to keep my penny, what about my 2¢ ? Or my nickel? Or......

Legal Tender is Legal Tender, and a store has an obligation to charge only what is listed on a price tag, and give exact change to a customer.

I agree with you about not shopping there, but I'm a firm believer in going one step further, and letting owner/management know why. It's quite possible that no one else even realizes a clerk is doing this. I would hate to own a business, and lose customers due to something I was unaware of, and therefore, had no chance to correct.

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I even find myself feeling the same way with the 5c piece now, but yes, I expect to get it back, even, if I'm just going to drop it into a box for whatever charity is collecting this week at the shop.
                    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Yup, I've often decided to drop that penny into the "need a penny, take a penny," cup at places, but that's my choice to make. The clerk making the call? Not cool at all. I'd call and ask for the owner/manager and complain.
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

You see that a lot in restaurants, and for a lot more than a penny. Had one place short me $0.90.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Where the heck was I this week where someone did that, just gave me change that was short pennies... the change should have been something like $0.47 but I was given $0.45 or something else that rounded down to the nearest dime/nickel.

That said, I actually had someone round up my change to the nearest nickel last week, so I think it all comes out in the wash over longer periods of time.

At work we have a plastic tub of pennies beside the cash register. The register already doesn't have enough drawers for all the coins -- we have nickels, dimes, quarters, and loonies (dollar coins) in the coin drawers, and toonies (two-dollar coins) in one of the bill slots. So the pennies are in the bucket. If someone's change is $X.X4 or $X.X9 I'll round up and give them the full dime or nickel. But I don't round their change down unless they say "I don't need the pennies".

Comment

Those pennies add up. I save mine in a jar and cash them in a couple times a year. Usually I end up with somewhere between $30 and $50 over the course of a year.

Comment

i like getting pennies myself. If they're older than 1983 they go into a little Hello Kitty tin.

Comment

Working...
                              X