This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameStore sighting

So I popped into the local GameStore earlier to take advantage of a trade offer, and was an unwilling part of the following:

A woman comes in with 2 or 3 kids. She's trying to figure out if you "really" need the Wii U to play Wii U-labeled games (can't seem to grasp what the employee's telling her). Meanwhile she let the kids loose to cause trouble.

I'm holding a stack of my old games to trade in and waiting quietly at the counter (employee is finishing up with a non-sucky, but highly entertaining, old guy), when...

One of the kids tries to yank the games out of my hands.
    Me: "HEY! Hands off!"
    Kid looks puzzled, and starts trying even harder to get me to give them up.
    Kid's mom: "He just wants to look at them!" (...so?)
    Kid: "MOM! I want this puzzle game!" *yanking even harder on a Layton game*
    Me: "I said HANDS OFF. These belong to ME."
    KM: "You should be ashamed, getting the last copy of that game!" "My child wants it!"
    Emp: "Those aren't our games, yet."
    KM: "They're in your store, what do you mean they're not yours?"
    Employee: "Ma'am, until that customer trades those games to us they are legally hers. If you don't control your child you're going to leave. Without your preorder, there are other people I can sell it to." The threat of losing both a Wii U and her deposit sunk in and she called the kid off.

In hindsight, I should have said "Sure, $50 and it's yours."
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-08-2012, 06:39 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Oh man, I do not want to know what that kid is going to become if being told to not touch something that doesn't belong to him confuses him.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
      Oh man, I do not want to know what that kid is going to become if being told to not touch something that doesn't belong to him confuses him.
      The kind of guy you see on "Cops", with a car full of stolen merchandise, yelling, "I didn't do nothin'!"
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        A woman comes in with 2 or 3 kids. She's trying to figure out if you "really" need the Wii U to play Wii U-labeled games (can't seem to grasp what the employee's telling her).

Kid: "MOM! I want this puzzle game!" *yanking even harder on a Layton game*
        Me: "I said HANDS OFF. These belong to ME."
        KM: "You should be ashamed, getting the last copy of that game!" "My child wants it!"
        First bit: That definitely calls for a query about the relationship between arboreal regions and ursine defecation habits.

Second bit: Even if they had been games you had selected and were preparing to buy (rather than games you were trading in), that's definitely suck on the part of kid and KM. After all, it could have been a game your child wanted and you'd been searching for for weeks. If it's OK for her kid to grab the last copy of a game they want from someone else, then (by symmetry) it's OK for someone else's kid to grab the last copy of a game they want from her kid.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
          God help that child if he tries that on me. I have few material possessions that I hold dear but those that I do, I cherish.
          If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            After all, it could have been a game your child wanted and you'd been searching for for weeks.
            If this had been a few years ago when the first Layton game was stupidly hard to find...there probably would have been a mauling. I was resisting an urge to go off on the kid (do not annoy the wolf) and I think I snarled at him, which probably worked just as well...a were living within a known population of "crazy" people does have its advantages

If they had pushed the employee to the point where he gave away their Wii U, I probably would have jumped on it to see their reaction (then again, they probably would have cooked up some ridiculous "ruining Christmas" story on PFB/M3C/the local news and gotten him in trouble).

Comment

I'm wondering if that mother always lets her kid launch themselves at people they don't know??

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                The kind of guy you see on "Cops", with a car full of stolen merchandise, yelling, "I didn't do nothin'!"
                Considering that his mom was backing his behavior up, as if the store OWED them something... she'll probably be right alongside him saying, "My baby didn't do nuffin!"

In hindsight, I should have said "Sure, $100 and it's yours."
                Fixed it for you.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

In hindsight, I should have said "Sure, $50 and it's yours."
                  The staff would have asked you to leave then, at least temporarily.

No, not because they're being dicks or anything like that. Under the law game stores that allow trades are considered pawn shops and are required to have proof of any transaction that occurs on their property. Even if they're not the ones benefiting from the sale, they're still considered responsible for it if it happens under their roof.

In response to this any time a proposition for a sale occurs between two people in the store that is not store staff, they are asked to leave the store and conduct the sale outside.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That's why I didn't do it. I was, however, waiting for the kids (and possibly mom) to go further than they did so the mom would haul out the "Ima gonna call the PO-LICE!" card (at best, I might have been able to claim attempted theft on the part of K; at worst, K and KM would have been cited for making a bogus report and banned).

LL, I was wondering about the people on CL that are selling GameStore store credit and say 'meet at a store to verify balance'. I'm guessing that verifying it can be done, but the actual exchange of money is to take place on the sidewalk.

Comment

I was, however, waiting for the kids (and possibly mom) to go further than they did so the mom would haul out the "Ima gonna call the PO-LICE!" card (at best, I might have been able to claim attempted theft on the part of K; at worst, K and KM would have been cited for making a bogus report and banned).
                      Actually, if the kid touched you without permission, that's assault.

I know, I know, but in cases like this mommy and her little special snowflakes need to be stomped as hard as possible... not the snowflakes as much as mommy of course.

Comment

If that was me I might've hit the kid. I'm very jumpy and if he comes out of nowhere and tries to essentially steal from me, there would've been chaos.
                        Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                          If that was me I might've hit the kid. I'm very jumpy and if he comes out of nowhere and tries to essentially steal from me, there would've been chaos.
                          THIS. I startle very easy, and I have this fear that some child will grab me or something I'm holding or something, and that I'll accidentally retaliate, and be hauled off because "That bad man hit mah babeh!"
                          There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

The "mother" might not have learned any new words, but she would have been surprised at the combinations, and startled by the volume of delivery. I am not a quiet person.
                            Last edited by Dave1982; 12-12-2012, 11:04 PM. Reason: there was no need to quote the entire post.

Comment

LL, I was wondering about the people on CL that are selling GameStore store credit and say 'meet at a store to verify balance'. I'm guessing that verifying it can be done, but the actual exchange of money is to take place on the sidewalk.
                              Can't believe I missed this for a month!

Those are a case of responsible sellers. They want you to meet them at the store to prove they're not simply selling you an empty card. You meet them and a staff member verifies the value then the deal is done off the store property (cards are often considerable non-transferrable).

It's the ones that avoid doing that process that you should be wary of.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                              X