Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back in school after over a decade out. Luckily for me, I'm doing all my classes online.
    One, it's convenient for me because I'm a new dad.
    Two, they would require much more from me than just the classes I want to take.
    Three, the cost was much lower.
    Four, I was not limited to one school. I'm taking courses from multiple schools.
    Five, the most relevant to the thread: the students.

I work with a lot of these students and I can honestly say they are some of the dumbest people I've ever met. How they manage to crawl out of bed in the morning let alone pass some of the classes they take is beyond me. Even driving on campus is a task because they are so immersed in typing on their phone and listening to music while trying to cross at a busy intersection all the while not looking up once to see if a car might be making a turn or coming through.

Not too long ago, I was training a new employee at my work place. We were putting together truss for a concert and this kid actually asked me which way he had to turn the bolt to tighten it. You've got a 50/50 chance there, sport. Either the nut comes off or it tightens. It's really not that difficult. Have you really never tightened a bolt in your life before? Righty tighty, lefty loosey, maybe?

The work ethic of these kids is also pathetic at best. They spend more energy trying to figure out how to do as little as possible. I've had to yell at many a student to stop whining and just do the damn job or go the hell home. It's even worse when we're moving something heavy and they are half-assing it which upsets the balance of whatever we are lifting. It would actually be easier for me to take their whole side myself than to juggle around trying to find the correct balance to move something.

Then there is the phone issue... these kids can't get off their damn phones. Our job is pretty lax; we're permitted to use our phones while on the clock but common sense tells you that you don't use them while you're expected to be actually working. You use them when you're on break or when standing by to stand by. Half the time they think they aren't expected to be doing anything at that moment because their face is buried in their screen. Our job is dangerous enough as it is, adding this into the equation is just moronic.

The scary thing is that some of these people are going to school to do things like engineering and some pretty hefty science based careers. They just completely lack any amount of common sense.

Yup, happy to be homeschooling.
    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I feel your pain. I am in my final semester for my degree in Social Work, and in the lead up to this semester, we had 1 student who was late to every single class. Every one...for two years.

Then there were the ones that complained about their GPA when they did crosswords each day in class and ignored the professor....

Stupid is as stupid does (thank you Forrest). We have had students in the class who have asked why the black people were denied the right to vote, and why were they upset about it (this was in a class that dealt with community action and advocacy)

But all of the above help in the real world..where clients are late, or don't show up. Where they ask stupid questions (Why don't I get food stamps if I make $2000 a month? I can't live on that!) and where they ignore you during counseling (one girl ignored me for 6 sessions).

And yes, community college was better then university. I took all of my lower levels at the community college because I, too, was in the derp math class and needed the help.
      Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        I can't speak for anyone else, but I refuse to take online classes. The reason why is because I'm aware of my own limitations and I don't know that I have the self-discipline to not goof off online if I had to take an online course. I have a feeling I'd completely forget to participate in any of the online discussions, do the work, or anything else, and thus fail the course. Not because I'm dumb as a rock (I'd say I'm at least smarter than marble), but because I can't always concentrate the way I should.
        I've had some. Yeah I was bad and slacked off a lot in my "pop journalism" class cos I just didn't care.

But for one class ... taking it in person would have been BORING. I had already worked professionally with computers for about 4 years when I started my computer degree... and I found out there was NO WAY OUT of taking ... Intro to Computers.

Comment

I have my degree in history, and I always showed up a half hour before class. In my experience, the fastest way to piss off a professor was: 1. Show up late repeatedly for class. 2. Have your cell phone activate during class. 3. Not read the book. (Heaven forbid!)

Currently, I am in graduate school at my Alma mater. I get a chuckle when freshmen complain about their "workload."

Comment

I've been late for classes 2 times. Unfortunately, it's the same class. First time, I got stuck in what must be the first traffic jam in history on that highway (it's a rural highway, but there was a 3 car accident, and it was icy). Second time was that I somehow managed to get lost. (I think I took a wrong turn going for the 3000 classes, rather than the 2000, and ended up circling the entire building once before I found the teacher and sheepishly followed him to class.)

I wish I could opt out of online classes because I definitely do not have the dicipline, but I have to take Beginning Keyboarding. I type 130wpm max (if you have Skype, and you type that fast, you can see the pencil that shows 'you're writing' snap. It's fun) 90wpm average if I'm trying, 70 if I'm not.

But still, have to take beginner keyboarding. Sigh.

At least for the cell phone thing, I don't have to worry. I don't have one. People are surprised, but I have 10 dollars loaded onto my skype, so if I have an emergency, I just have to find the nearest Golden Arches or public library, and use my tablet. And the one or two times I've been stranded by the side of the road, someone helped me before I'd even have a chance to call someone.

So I generally don't view cell phones as a necessary thing, but you can't pry some people away from them. One of my college professors would ask anyone if she caught them looking down if they had a cell phone. After a while everybody was looking up at the ceiling, hands where she could see them, so she didn't interrupt the class every 5-10 minutes to 'bust' someone.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
              I'm in my capstone class at community college. This is quite literally the first class I've taken where everybody seems to take the class seriously. There was one person late the first day, only because he was given the wrong start time. Other than that, no one's been late, and no one's asked a moronic question. I'm somewhat flabbergasted.
              The joys of upper level classes. As one of my history professors stated, those are when the students who really care start coming together. (Because what party happy jock wants to sit in on a class that details the history of modern times with particular focus on the Cold War and plenty of first hand accounts? Bliss!)
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                The joys of upper level classes. As one of my history professors stated, those are when the students who really care start coming together. (Because what party happy jock wants to sit in on a class that details the history of modern times with particular focus on the Cold War and plenty of first hand accounts? Bliss!)
                Not only that, but the party happy jocks tend to have failed out by that point. I hated generals because of the lazy attitude that so many people had as well as the people who, bless their hearts, didn't have the intelligence to be seeking a degree (good, decent, hard working people, and even smart in their own way, but just not academic intellectuals).
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
                  I wish I could opt out of online classes because I definitely do not have the dicipline, but I have to take Beginning Keyboarding. I type 130wpm max (if you have Skype, and you type that fast, you can see the pencil that shows 'you're writing' snap. It's fun) 90wpm average if I'm trying, 70 if I'm not.

But still, have to take beginner keyboarding. Sigh.
                  I can sympathize. In one program I took (decided to switch to a different one at another college), I wasn't able to get out of "introduction to computing" (basic stuff with Windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint). Not online - it was an automated course loaded onto computers in the college library. The fact that before I went back to school, I had been a programmer, and I HAD WRITTEN SOME OF THE PRODUCTION CODE ON THE MACHINES RUNNING THE AUTOMATED COURSE, wasn't enough to get out of it.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

For everyone's frustrations, may I offer my condolences and the following:

"Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I've mentioned my daughter's response in her mandatory college computer class in 1998 to the question "Have you typed in a program and run it? On what kind of computer?"

Yes.
                      TRS-80 Model I.

She's now a middle school science teacher.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Something I just thought of, the only thing I hated more than students who asked stupid questions is the professors who act like every question is a stupid question. I had a macro economics professor who taught that the world economy is not a zero sum system, one region's gain was not another region's loss. One student asked, "but all economic inputs are zero sum, so why wouldn't the output be zero sum also?" Rather than explaining why things like economic multipliers work and other explanations on why what seems like sound logic is wrong, just snickered and said "well, I guess if you don't understand then you won't" keep in mind this was an intro class, not an advanced one, so a question why what seems like common sense to those who have limited knowledge on the topic would be appropriate.
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                          For everyone's frustrations, may I offer my condolences and the following:

This is the computer course at MY college.

My students come to me not knowing you can flip between windows with Alt-Tab, or that you can Tab between fields on a form.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I deal with students all the time, having towed their cars while they were in "Class" so, I get all the frustrations of the constant phone use and inability to follow simple instructions first hand anyway....

The most infuriating thing is their total lack of ability to problem solve without having their hands held the entire time and walked from one step to the next, simply telling them that to get their car out of impound they'll need to meet conditions "A" "B" and "C", Have Photo ID, have $115 cash/credit, Come to the front door no later than midnight, they just stare at you and say "uh..... what" or "I don't understand"

Sorry, I can't make it any simpler. And no, don't thrust a phone in my face and tell me to explain it to your mommy or daddy, like it or not, you're an adult now and will have to figure this stuff out on your own, win or lose. I'm not involving extraneous and unneeded parties. Incidentally, I blame phones/the internet for this condition, with these folks so used to just hitting a button and getting the answer, when they find themselves in a situation where they have to do the mental legwork, I shouldn't be surprised they have no idea how. That's why so many get towed in the first place, they simply CANNOT think of what to do when there isn't any free parking where they were intending to go, so they just park because the "had no choice". That's why I nab so many people who have valid permits for lots as little as 2 blocks away.... I really and sincerely believe that easy access to databases full of answers have made certain people forget HOW to solve problems, or even IDENTIFY their existence! Okay, rant over.

Can't follow simple instructions? Well, then NO CAR FOR YOU!
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                              This is the computer course at MY college.

My students come to me not knowing you can flip between windows with Alt-Tab, or that you can Tab between fields on a form.
                              God, that was my educational technology course for undergrad. What made it worse was we didn't have to do anything harder than make spreadsheets or powerpoints, and the professor got pissed when I got ahead of her in steps or didn't do things exactly the way she had written in her instructions. (She'd go the long way or repeat the steps to make sure we "had gotten it".) We had a number of....discussions over how to try and compromise. it...didn't help.
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

"I don't even know what a verb IS!"
                                ...The sad thing is, she had no idea she had just answered her own question/statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X