Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once got a call on my cell because some idiot had put the wrong number on her resume.
    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
      I once got a call on my cell because some idiot had put the wrong number on her resume.
      We kept getting calls at our house in Texas from the deadbeats who previously had our number. Near as I can tell, none of the callers called us a second time... we just got new calls from other people, looking for the aforementioned deadbeats.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Got one a couple of days ago, an international call from France, apparently.

"Yes is this (canadian grocery store) ?"
        "Nope, you got the wrong number."
        "Ah, ok, sorry"
        "Have a nice day."

5 minutes later

"Yes is this (canadian grocery store) ?"
        "Look sweetheart, you gonna have to try another number, this is not (canadian grocery store) !!"
        "I don't understand, I'm calling from France (big whoop) and I was given this num*CLICK*

Oh dear, my give a f*ck hooked the hang up button.
        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

When we had a landline, we would occasionally get voicemails from a doctor's office trying to reach someone or another about their prescriptions. As long as they left a return number, I would always call back and explain that they had a wrong number. Didn't matter. They'd call us back again the next month.

As for my cellphone, I'm running an Android App called Mr. Number. I have it configured for Whitelisting. If your number isn't in my contacts, you go straight to voicemail, no exceptions. Phone never even rings. Leave me a voicemail. If I want to talk to you, I'll add you to my contacts. Otherwise, bugger off.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

i have 3 phone numbers now.

Skype (sis's area code - cos it keeps calls easy for her & i've had the number for 6 years now)
            Google Voice (next state over, but close enough that it's not unusual - good for job hunting and easy to remember)
            cell phone (Billy's old number, but his callers don't bother me, so I keep that one on purpose)

I haven't used the cell in a while - not many minutes on and people who need to get ahold of me know the other numbers.

Skype - normally I only get direct calls from Sis (cos it's a local call for her) or from wrong-numbers in that area code. Those are usually cute really, little kid's voice asking for some girl. Aw... sorry, wrong number. (i only hope they dialed it wrong and the girl didn't give the wrong one on purpose)

google voice - most of my calls go through this (and ring my skype). best option i've done in a while cos when spammers start bugging me I just block them and they get the traditional "3-tone" disconnect beep and a message about the number not being in service.

Comment

I got a wrong number not long after I got my first digital mobile phone (replacing my old brick analogue mobile phone) in 1996 with a new number, that is still my number today. It was on a Saturday morning just after 8am. At the time I was a uni student, so 8am was too early for me to be woken up. I answered the phone (no caller id then) and this woman asked "who is this?". I told her my name, and she laughed and asked why I had my mum's phone. I told her it was my phone, but she just laughed again and asked me to put my mum on the line. I told her again that it was my phone, that my mum wasn't here, and I had no idea who I was talking to. She laughed again and told me I knew who she was and put my mum on the phone. I said again that my mum wasn't here she was 200kms away in my home town, and I still had no idea who I was talking to and as I was now awake I was beginning to think this was a wrong number. The woman asked why my mum was in my home town, and of course I knew who she was as she was my aunty. I asked which aunty, and got the response (with a laugh) how many aunties did I have?

Now that I was fully awake I explained to the obvious wrong number. My mum is one of 5 kids, so 4 aunties there. Dad is one of six kids, so another 5 aunties makes 9. Mum and dad have two great aunties each, which brings it up to 13. I also have about 5 honourary aunties, which brings the total up to 18. I also said that my mother was in my home town because that is where she lives. It was my phone, not my mother's, and "aunty" you need to check the number you have called because you have rung the wrong number. I then hung up and went back to sleep. Never got a call back, so guess my "aunty" didn't really want to talk to mum.

Comment

Just remember, if someone calls you and then asks who YOU are before giving their own name, your name is "*click*"
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Just remember, if someone calls you and then asks who YOU are before giving their own name, your name is "*click*"
                  Or if you feel rather irritated, tell 'em they've reached the Grand Central Station and then hang up. I love confusing people that way.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

When I was a youngster in Middle School I received a call that insisted I was the bratty younger sister of their query. News to me as I am an only child. But as I was a precocious youth I carried out an impertinent argument with the caller while experiencing the Twos. Said caller hung up when I flushed. I never heard back from them.
                    Last edited by FenigDurak; 03-03-2013, 08:08 AM. Reason: Apparently I have an excellent vocabulary on white wine.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      I annoyed a telesales person the other day with this:

T: Hi, is that Mrs.X
                      Me: Depends, who are you?
                      T: You don't know if you are Mrs.X?
                      Me: Not until I know who you are!

Totally confused him into silence.
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I only ever had one wrong number arguer, and it was kind of weird. Apparently someone planned an extended family reunion for everyone with my last name. I didn't think it was that common, but judging from the number of these calls I get, it must be a lot more common than I thought. As far as I can tell, my number got printed on the invitations, instead of the number of the person who arranged the reunion. I don't remember if I got one of these invitations, but if I did, I must not have noticed my number was on it.

It started early on a Saturday morning. I was sleeping in, and the call woke me up. This lady asked for someone with my last name, but a woman's first name. I told her she had the wrong number. She verified the number, which mine was, but I told her there was no one there by that name. She asked me, "Are you sure?"

OK, I think if anyone else lived there, I would know about it. I told her that I was the only one who lived there. She ended the call, and I tried to go back to sleep. She called back a few minutes later, asking me if I was sure that the person she was looking for didn't live there, and could that have been my mother. I told her no, because (1) that wasn't my mother's name, and (2) my mother didn't live with me. I was probably not as nice as I should have been that time, having my sleep disturbed twice by the same person in the span of just a few minutes.

I got quite a few other calls from people trying to call the person who arranged the reunion, but thankfully, the rest of them didn't try to second-guess me when I told them they had the wrong number, and explained that somehow the wrong number got printed on the invites.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                        X