Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regardless of what the actual risk is (1 in a 1000, 1 in a million) there is still a risk. That is why every gas pump I've ever seen bears a prominent warning sign stating something to the effect of "BY ORDER OF THE FIRE MARSHAL: No Smoking, No Cell Phones, No Unauthorized Containers, Shut off Engines."

I'd say that the simple fact that these idiots were ignoring the sign (not to mention common sense) makes them plenty sucky and worth complaining about. If I were the OP I'd be upset, too.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
      This reminds me of 2 guys who were smoking on top of an oil tank at a refinery and it blew up, just over 2 weeks ago.

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/01/ma...p-of-oil-tank/
      1 guy and 1 girl, actually. But if they died, that would be a darwin award right there.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
        This reminds me of 2 guys who were smoking on top of an oil tank at a refinery and it blew up, just over 2 weeks ago.
        Quoth draco664 View Post
        1 guy and 1 girl, actually. But if they died, that would be a darwin award right there.
        Seems to me that on top of an oil tank would be pretty much out of sight of everyone else. Given the stereotypes - a guy and a girl smoking - an explosion at an oil refinery would be one-hell of a post-coital contraceptive.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It IS very odd that there didn't seem to be a cutoff readily available.
          As far as the 'odds' issue is concerned, it seems moot to me. It's like the whole cell phones on airplanes thing; who CARES what the odds are, comparing the risk to the gain is so ludicrous that billions to one don't make it acceptable.

Comment

Technically, a one-in-a-million occurrence should be happening around 300 times in the USA alone. (Obviously law of probability states that it should be happening, but like all probability, just because you flip a coin ten times doesn't mean you'll get five heads and five tails.)
            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              according to hollywood 007 can shoot a fuel tank with a .9mm and make it go kaboom
              OT but being a SciFi buff I always thought it was funny that if you were running from the bad guys all you had to do was run through a door and shoot the lock with your laser pistol to make sure that the bad guys couldn't follow you. On the other hand if you needed to get through a locked door all you had to do was...shoot the lock with your laser pistol and woosh the door would slide open.

Bonus points if they use both options at different times in the same movie!
              You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Couldn't you have just ran over and press the emergency stop button, which is usually located on the building itself or close by?
                If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                  OT but being a SciFi buff I always thought it was funny that if you were running from the bad guys all you had to do was run through a door and shoot the lock with your laser pistol to make sure that the bad guys couldn't follow you. On the other hand if you needed to get through a locked door all you had to do was...shoot the lock with your laser pistol and woosh the door would slide open.

Bonus points if they use both options at different times in the same movie!
                  I'm thinking star wars.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    I'm thinking star wars.
                    May the farce be with you.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                      Who smokes while filling up their tank WITH their car running!??!
                      Everybody freaking out about them with lit cigarettes, but honestly, this worries me more!
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Everybody freaking out about them with lit cigarettes, but honestly, this worries me more!
                        Possibly because my brain shut down at the lit cigarette part, & didn't even notice the running fricking engine until you noticed it I think I need to go lay down in a darkened room now...
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I remember a comic strip (think it was "Captain Vincible") where the protagonist is in the gas station, filling up his humongous car. After a while, the attendant says, "Would you mind shutting off the engine? You're gaining on me."

Comment

Working...
                          X