This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost had my credit card jacked

I was on my way to work yesterday, and was running a bit late due to coming straight from the cardiologist. (Stress echo: no blockages. Yay. ) Stopped at the nearest gas station; as it's not the cheapest one in town, I only put in $20 worth, which is about one round trip in this vehicle. Here in NJ the stations are commonly set up to pay at the pump, but self-serve is illegal, so the pump jockey has to take the card from me and insert it in the slot himself.

I get to work, I remember that I've got a credit card due on the 20th. I log on to pay it, and just for the heck of it I check the Recent Transactions list of my various cards. (They all wound up at the same megabank due to various mergers over the years; one of them even started out as a NYNEX calling card, once upon a time. Remember those?)

There's the purchase at the gas station, sure enough, but it's for only $1. OK, I can see that, they authorize a dollar before pumping to see if the card will go though at all.

But then there's another pair of transactions. A pending charge, and a pending credit, both for $1.70. The merchant is shown as "Aaron House", of whom I've never heard, with no phone number attached. This smells vaguely fishy (or phishy) to me somehow.

I call the credit card issuer and ask them who that is. They tell me as follows:

1. The company is listed as a software vendor.
    2. The transaction was classed as "rugs/floor coverings".
    3. The telephone number (which she had to look up). I reverse lookup the number and find it's a CPA's office somewhere in Cheeselandia.
    4. The card was not present; it was an "internet transaction".

All right, something definitely smells phishy there. Perhaps someone ganked my number, ran a charge to see if the card was live, and then credited it the same day, hoping both transactions would age out before I noticed them.

I asked her if there might have been a skimmer on the pump; she says it certainly sounds suspicious, but there's unfortunately no proof. Also, this card has the RFID chip in it, so they might not even have needed a skimmer, just a reader stuck on or near the pump.

The credit card lady suggests canceling this card and reissuing it with a new number, and I agree that this seems a prudent course of action. Shame, too, because just a couple weeks ago that very card was cancelled and reissued due to attempted fraud, and I'd only just gotten it.

(They'd called me on that one. Seems someone had tried to charge $999.90 on it at zagg.com, which sells mostly iPhone cases and similar cheap crap: I can't even imagine how many of those he had to order to total up to that much money.)

So it looks like I might have dodged a bullet here. Were it not for the one-in-30 coincidence of another of my credit cards having a bill due that day, plus my own nosyness on my own transactions, I might be looking at a huge charge for some random crap that I didn't even buy. Sure they'd reverse it when I noticed, but some people don't even look at their bills before paying them...

yikes.

this is why i never want an RFID credit card. When I saw that Mom had one I gave her my Japanese business card holder cos it's made entirely of metal.

my only RFID cards at the moment are my old train cards (2) from Japan. So even if they were hacked there'd be nothing useful on them. At the most they might access the funds, and there's less than 1000¥ on each (10 bucks... actually it may be more like 500¥ or so).

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
      I asked her if there might have been a skimmer on the pump; she says it certainly sounds suspicious, but there's unfortunately no proof. Also, this card has the RFID chip in it, so they might not even have needed a skimmer, just a reader stuck on or near the pump.
      Snopes says no on that one.

my spouse's card was compromised when he ordered a pizza, also we had fun at the call center when one employee was caught having stolen CC# from customers that called in to pay a bill, or order a phone.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I had that happen myself twice. The first time, I noticed some small charges for Blizzard Entertainment ($20 or $30 here and there), and a $400 to Paypal for some Chinese-sounding merchant. Roughly $600 in total fraudulent charges. I called my bank, and they issued me a provisional credit. The first person I talked to apparently didn't know how to handle it, and told me I'd have to fill out a merchant dispute. But then she transferred me to someone else, who told me that no, I wouldn't have to do that, because I hadn't actually done business with any of the merchants. A few weeks later, I got a letter from my bank telling me that the merchants had agreed to remove the charges, and the credit was now permanent. The biggest pain was that they had to cancel my card, and then I had to wait almost a week for the new one to arrive. And we were leaving for vacation soon, and I was worried that it might not arrive on time. I'm just glad that I caught the charges. If I hadn't, they might have maxed out my card, and I would have been stuck with no way to check into our motel room.

The second time, the bank caught it and called me at work. Someone in New Jersey tried to charge $500 worth of stuff to my card at a Walgreens. And this was a swipe transaction, so someone had somehow obtained a counterfeit copy of my card. No idea how that happened. The fact that I answered my work phone in Harrisburg answered their first question -- I was not in New Jersey buying stuff. I've never even been to a Walgreen's. Luckily, there were no other fraudulent transactions. So once again, they had to cancel my card and issue me a new one. It kind of sucked when it happened the first time, because I actually had the number memorized. But maybe that's not such a good thing.

What I really don't understand is that if someone had the knowledge and resources to clone a card, you'd think they'd know how to keep a low profile, i.e. not make a large purchase in another state, which would get flagged by the bank. Then again, maybe this person had purchased a cloned card from someone who was selling them. We had a spammer here on CS trying to sell a bunch of those awhile back.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

A few years ago, we logged on to my husband's bank account, and we saw a $250 debit from his checking account from a Bell Cellular phone store in Mississaugua, Ontario. Problem is, we're from Wisconsin, so we wouldn't have a Canadian cell phone. We go to Ontario once a year, but in July, and not to that part of Ontario. Because the lady at his bank could tell she was there in front of him and not in Mississaugua, his bank issued the credit right there and then, and of course issued him a new debit card.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            What I really don't understand is that if someone had the knowledge and resources to clone a card, you'd think they'd know how to keep a low profile, i.e. not make a large purchase in another state, which would get flagged by the bank.
            They don't think they're going to get caught, but they do know the value of the card is time limited, so get what you can while you can.

This happened to a friend of mine; a waitress at Backout actually kept the original card because my friend was so distracted (big family dinner) she neglected to get the card back. The waitress then went on a spending spree . . . at Walmart.

Got good video of her using my friend's card. She was given a nice set of silver bracelets, free.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              We had a spammer here on CS trying to sell a bunch of those awhile back.
              Hopefully his ass in in jail now for theft and fraud.
              ......../\
              ....../__\
              ..../\...../\
              ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                They don't think they're going to get caught, but they do know the value of the card is time limited, so get what you can while you can.

This happened to a friend of mine; a waitress at Backout actually kept the original card because my friend was so distracted (big family dinner) she neglected to get the card back. The waitress then went on a spending spree . . . at Walmart.

Got good video of her using my friend's card. She was given a nice set of silver bracelets, free.
                I had a co worker do the same thing! He kept a customers card and then went on a shopping spree to the grocery store and Wal-Mart! He tried to deny it, and continued to lie to the boss and area manager, even though we have audio and video at our store AND they had him on video at the grocery store and Wal-Mart!! My boss and area manager were livid!

Oh, and kind of on the same subject of theft.A couple of months later my manager hired a young lady for opening shift and on her very first day she stole money out of my purse!! I knew she did it and told my manager. I was saving an empty box to take home with me and I placed this box on our coat rack shelf in the breakroom and next to it I had my purse, well I was headed outside for my break so I grabbed my purse off the shelf and took my smokes and cell phone out and then I put my purse inside the box so I would not forget to take it home, the only person who saw me do this was the new girl because she was in the breakroom getting a drink at the same time. When I came back from my break I reached into the box to get my purse and I noticed the front flap was open (I had $13.00 inside that front pocket), so I looked inside the front pocket and noticed the money missing! My heart started thumping and I started to get extremely mad! I knew instantly that it was the new chick! I told my boss and the area manager happened to be in the office at the same time so they looked it up on video, yep she not only took from my purse but she also pilfered through all the purses on that shelf! On top of that she tried to deny it, even with evidence!! Some people! I do not understand how you can deny something when there is video evidence of you commiting the crime!!

My boss gave me my money back by taking it from the till and I think they took the money from her paycheck so they would not eat the cost. I thought that was very awesome of her because she did not have to do that even though the new girl did not cough up the money when they confronted her!
                Last edited by jnd4rusty; 02-23-2013, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
                  I do not understand how you can deny something when there is video evidence of you committing the crime!!
                  Because they probably subscribe to the theory of the Big Lie-- "If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth, even when what you are saying is total crap." (as defined by Richard Belzer)

They think if they tell the lie like that, then people will grudgingly accept it as truth. Trick is, the Big Lie works great for propaganda and advertising, but not so well when trying to get out of a crime when evidence is sufficient to pronounce your guilt.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

There's a security show on TV, which I cannot recall the name or network at present, that rolls around pointing out flaws in a store's system. They take a few days and try to tighten up loss protection at the place, as the owners tend to be in denial. It's highly amusing to watch those they catch try and deny what happened.

In one of the instances a lady had placed a pair of sunglasses in a shake from a fast food place. They ended up pulling the glasses out in front of her, and she still kept up the act with "I have no idea how they got in there!". Uhm... because you did, and it's on tape? It's rather sad, really.
                    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                    And it's not what I wanted to be
                    The weight on me
                    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

On top of that she tried to deny it, even with evidence!! Some people! I do not understand how you can deny something when there is video evidence of you commiting the crime!!
                      I never understand that mentality.

Saying "it wasn't me" is only remotely funny in that shaggy song. actually trying to use it in real life though... when faced with a video of it... just makes them look dumb.

Comment

Grr, yes. I had this issue a while back with both mine and my hubby's debit/credit cards. I noticed a hold on mine for something like 200 bucks for QVC, which I called and they told me they'd already flagged it for fraud, so the hold would lapse and which card it was. I called and canceled mine right after. Hubby's was a month later and there were charges from places in FLORIDA. So we went up to the bank, filed disputes, because the actual card had been used in between those charges by the hubby (gas at the local station), proving that HE had possession of the card. So his got canceled and issued a new one as well.

*sigh* The only place I can think of where this could have happened to both our cards at the same time was WoW. Couldn't have been Second Life, because after that one hacking, his card was canceled by the bank right after Linden Labs notified us and he never used a card there again. Now I use Paypal for everything I can.
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                          Now I use Paypal for everything I can.
                          Be careful with that - Paypal is NOT a credit card company, or even a bank, and there are NO regs on what they have to do in cases of disputes with merchants. It does have the advantage that it's not giving every idiot website your card, but also, you're trading legal protections for whatever Paypal's rules are this week.
                          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Hmm, I thought they were a genuine bank these days?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              Hmm, I thought they were a genuine bank these days?

Rapscallion
                              I could be wrong, but I don't think so, at least in the US.
                              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Working...
                              X