This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parties and Power Cuts!

So, yesterday there was a huge fireball downtown as a substation blew up, leaving Market Street, one of the major four open shopping streets, (more-or-less) without power.

Now I've been avoiding Market Street recently. If you like in the UK and watch a programme called The News, you can probably guess why by looking at my location. I live in Eastleigh and we have a by-election going on - for the last three weeks it's been nothing but candidates, candidates, candidates. If you're pig sick of hearing about it, think how we feel!! While I'd love to bitch incessantly I'm not going to other than to mention that the Platypus Party (coding them via animals to avoid any hint of who they are, CGPGrey style) Headquarters is along Market Street and the Kookaburra Party are also around a lot. They were all sucky too, but not in a way to do with their politics; more just getting involved in the suck where they shouldn't.

I had to stop my avoidance of Market Street because the home furnishings shop is down there and I need to get new curtains - mine have gone mouldy!! >.< I found that, because of the explosion yesterday, most of the shops down there were closed, with hastily-scrawled messages in the windows saying 'Closed due to Power Cut'. Funny thing was that in many shops lights were still on - I figured that the lights and the tills etc. were on different circuits, and one working despite the substation blow-out didn't mean the other was too.

However there were many other people who were rattling doors, banging on windows and swearing to whomever was unfortunate enough to be listening. Ponden Mill was 'lights on nobody home' and it seemed that everyone's curtains had gone mouldy at the same time as I saw no less than three groups attempt to gain entry. One man just stood there shaking the door handles silently; another couple banged noisely on the door and said to me, or at least the general vicinity of where she thought a welcome ear was, "Oh for fuck's sake why can't they open?" -_-

And since it just happens to be election day, the Kookaburra Party were out in force and to be honest their presence just seemed to be making a bad situation worse, almost encouraging the SCs to complain. The Platypus Party's HQ was affected too, AFAIK (it was at the other end of the street), and this was making them crabby towards the Kookaburra Party people and I saw a full-on argument between two pairs going on over the shops!

Yeah I legged it. I didn't want to have to run the gauntlet of folk being kept from their precious shopping (Market Street is quite a long street!!) and other folk desperate for me to exercice my civic duty in their favour...I just headed home another way. I'm going to Winchester on Saturday and I'm going to see if I can get my curtains from C&H.

People!! A power cut is not the end of the world; there are other places to get things!! I didn't bitch because I know curtains aren't made of gold leaf made under a full moon!!

*sigh*
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Ah, the joys of multi-phase power. The lights can be on, but not the power needed to run heavier machinery. Very important in the food business, since the lights will be on, gas stoves and ovens will be working, but your fridges will go out without anyone noticing unless they are trained to ALWAYS check on a regular basis.

Comment

major power outage AND an election?

oy. sounds kinda like a doozie of a day!

Comment

I would vote for an actual platypus, probably do a pretty passable job.
        Plus FUZZIES!
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I love platypi, cute and deadly. ^^

It was a bit of a doozy, not least when Housemate and I got to our polling station at the local church to find that there was another less than 100 yards away from it. O.o sense, it makes none. It's been a surreal 3 weeks, with articles about and famous politicians round the local landmarks all over the news.

Closer to home, having to decide whst's more important...new curtains, or getting John Lewis to fix our damned TV. The built-in DVD player is fooking up and it's only four months old.

Comment

Actually, polling stations close to each other does make sense, for example if the constituency boundary runs between them. In the municipal elections last year, the polling station I was assigned to had signs indicating that it served several sub-districts at once.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
              Actually, polling stations close to each other does make sense, for example if the constituency boundary runs between them. In the municipal elections last year, the polling station I was assigned to had signs indicating that it served several sub-districts at once.
              That's kinda how it was here with the last election. I found out that my polling place was actually in another district - probably for convenience and anticipated increased turnout.

Not that it mattered much. The districts here are small anyway - maybe a mile or 2 of area tops, so it wasn't much of a drive.

Comment

Ah - thing is it was literally just us having this election. Eastleigh, one constituency. I don't know why they moved this other polling station to be next to our local and usual one, but I do know that my friend D was unable/unwilling to get there after she finished work because she was told this is where to go...and it's literally on the other side of Eastleigh to her home, in the opposite direction of her walk back from work.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                  Ah, the joys of multi-phase power. The lights can be on, but not the power needed to run heavier machinery. Very important in the food business, since the lights will be on, gas stoves and ovens will be working, but your fridges will go out without anyone noticing unless they are trained to ALWAYS check on a regular basis.
                  Can be REALLY fun when you've got a situation like a machine shop I used to work at. All the lights were on one phase, but the emergency lights were powered by a different phase. Guess which phase went out? Of course, that meant the batteries on the emergency lights were drained by the time the power company had to shut EVERYTHING off while fixing the problem. Emergency lights should be powered by the same phase as the regular lights (or better yet, have roughly 1/3 of each kind on each phase).

Co-workers were clueless about how 3-phase works. Roughly 1/3 of the milling machines wouldn't start at all (control for the magnetic starters was on the affected phase), and on the ones that DID start, they'd run extremely slowly and stall out when you tried to cut metal (because a 3-phase motor running on 2 phases isn't going to work properly, dipshits).

In the food business situation you mentioned, the "1/3 of lights on each phase" would help - since if one phase goes out, it would be noticed due to 1/3 of the lights going dark.

As for naming the political parties after animals, be careful - the Rhinoceros Party was the actual name of a (fringe) party in Canada some years back, and there are 2 animals that are, for all intents and purposes, the mascots of the 2 major parties in the U.S.
                  Last edited by wolfie; 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                    I live in Eastleigh and we have a by-election going on - for the last three weeks it's been nothing but candidates, candidates, candidates.
                    <grins> Oh, how unlucky I am to have been out of the country for the last 3 1/2 weeks... I've missed all the fun (I live a little ways up the road - Bishops Waltham).

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                      Kookaburra Party
                      In the future, could you PLEASE not name the party after a creature that has an annoying children's song tied to it. I now have an earworm, and it does not make me happy.

SC
                      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh, Kookaburra,
                        Gay your life must be!
                        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
                          <grins> Oh, how unlucky I am to have been out of the country for the last 3 1/2 weeks... I've missed all the fun (I live a little ways up the road - Bishops Waltham).
                          HI NEIGHBOUR!!

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                          In the future, could you PLEASE not name the party after a creature that has an annoying children's song tied to it. I now have an earworm, and it does not make me happy.

SC
                          O.o

Sorry

I must find this song now.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kookaburra_(song)

For your earworm pleasure.

SC
                            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Ahh, I feel sorry for you. Eastleigh must be a nightmare at the moment. As I also live in the "Meridian" area, I've heard a lot about it on Meridian News lately.

Although, I am sure an actual platypus would do a far better job than your previous MP Or most MPs for that matter

Comment

Working...
                              X