This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures on the Train

These aren't rants as much as some what I hope are humorous observations on my trip on the train. As I write this I'm on a northbound Amtrak train heading up to visit Mom and Brother.

Keep yer pants on!

I paid for a business class ticket this time for the longest leg of my trip. It only added $28 to the trip, and I have to say it is MUCH nicer than coach. I advise any of you who are thinking about trying the train to pay a little extra for more legroom. Plus, they serve free non-alcoholic drinks on the long legs.

Anyway, when I boarded, I had to board a coach car initially. It was crowded. As I'm walking down the aisle to find a seat (planned to speak to the conductor when he check my ticket), this woman suddenly stands up in front of me. Her britches are so far down her butt, I get a nice view of her crack. Her tube top also slid up, giving every one a great sighting of her muffin top.

Gah! My eyes, my eyes!

Seriously people. Haven't you ever heard of belts? Or better yet: wearing clothing that actually fits you???

Outlawed!

Anyway, I finally get to my seat and settle down for the trip to my connecting city (I have to change trains in DC). I like the train; it's comfortable, the rocking doesn't bother me (soothing actually), and there are standard power outlets so I can keep my laptop charged, and wifi so I can stay online (I'm taking a break from grading the massive amount of papers I'm behind on grading).

We approach Selma, and the conductor announces there will not be a long enough stop for a smoke break as scheduled because the train is running behind schedule.

"We're sorry about not being able to stop but remember they are outlawing smoking."

He goes on to explain how smoking is no longer allowed on trains, which has been true for some time. But the way he said it made it pretty clear where he stood on the issue (please no Fratching)

Delayed

Which really sucks for the smokers because we ran into a delay in Petersburg, hence my post. We've been stuck here for awhile so a southbound train could pass, and because of heavy freight congestion in the railyard (freight traffic has priority over commercial travelers). It makes sense, Amtrak and CMS are upgrading rail infrastructure after decades of neglect, but it reduces the number of available lines and increases congestion, especially after a series of major storms in the area.

The conductor was updating us on the delay and said, "We just talked to Train 89 and told them we were waiting to pass through the rail yard and they told us 'good luck with that!."

I gotta love this guy; very frank

We just started moving again after about a 20 minute delay. I do feel for the smokers, they must be going nuts, but at least they have a smoke break coming in Petersburg.

I think.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Do the trains serve nicotine patches and gums on board? If so, that could help the smokers ride it out.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Twenty minutes? They'd have absolutely loved being on a train I took a few years ago, which was delayed by over three hours. The reason was that gales had torn down the overhead wires in many places, so not only was the train diesel-hauled, but it had to stop before and crawl past many areas where repairs were underway.

Fortunately it was an evening train that I had caught for an early-morning flight, and I had already resolved to spend the night in the terminal. The delay simply meant that I spent more time in a comfortable (and relatively interesting) train seat instead of a boring and rock-hard concourse seat, and I got a free taxi to the airport instead of having to negotiate the Tube.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        I advise any of you who are thinking about trying the train to pay a little extra for more legroom. Plus, they serve free non-alcoholic drinks on the long legs.
        I totally second this. Over here, upgrade to First Class seats on trains is only a USD 8 extra on the ticket no matter what the destination is, and you get a complimentary bag of nuts, raisins and carrots + all the coffee/tea you can drink (also complimentary breakfast if you're travelling in the morning hours) + free access to newspapers. Free WiFi is only avaiable on certain routes, but applies to First Class as well as coach.

Since we found out how low the price for a First Class upgrade was, the Zel household has used this option every time we have to take a longer trip by train.
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

The legroom in coach on the train is not bad though. Even better on the distance trains.

Were you on the Acela or the Northeast Regional?

And I wouldn't advise trying to smoke on the train...generally that gets you removed at the train at the next stop. Which would be fun on the Empire Builder or Southwest Chief.

Comment

Hope you waved to Fres-yes while going through, if I am correct in guessing your route.

Comment

Selma, NC? You didn't miss much. In fact, probably safer to not stop over there for overly long . It's the armpit of it's neighboring city.
              But the paint on me is beginning to dry
              And it's not what I wanted to be
              The weight on me
              Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                Were you on the Acela or the Northeast Regional?

And I wouldn't advise trying to smoke on the train...generally that gets you removed at the train at the next stop. Which would be fun on the Empire Builder or Southwest Chief.
                Northeast Regional.

And yeah, it's not like a plane where they'd have to land to kick you off. And arrest you, probably.

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                Hope you waved to Fres-yes while going through, if I am correct in guessing your route.
                Sorry, but thanks for playing

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                Selma, NC? You didn't miss much. In fact, probably safer to not stop over there for overly long . It's the armpit of it's neighboring city.
                I so agree with that.

Update:

There was a little bit of Customer Suck at the tail end of the trip.

I have to change trains in DC (Union Station). It was a short layover because we were an hour late getting in, which didn't bother me since I'd have to kill the time anyway.

The lineup for the train to BWI (which goes on to NYC) was loooooooonnng.

Since I have a business class ticket, I can cut to the head of the line and did so. Another gentleman, very well dressed and obviously a business traveler did the same, actually cut ahead of me. One of the coach class riders didn't like it and gave the business class rider a hard time about line jumping. The business class rider tried to explain (and was very polite about it), but the SC didn't want to hear it and they argued halfway down the platform until the SC finally got into a car, ending it.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It's about (depending on seat sales) about twice as much for business/first class on the train here.

Pro:

Hot meal (VERY good)
                  ALL drinks included
                  Extra lounge depending on the station.

Con:

No more extra room - I've been across Canada in coach and I can almost stretch out in the seat.
                  Twice as expensive for food and drinks.

That said, the train is still the best way to go.

B

Says he with about 100,000 miles riding trains around North America.
                  "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                  I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I much prefer the train to the bus (out west can't beat flying though... yeah, you're in a flying sardine can, but you are in it for 2 hours instead of an entire day).
                    The only really bad train experience I had was my freshman year of college, I was taking the train back from Reno to Salt Lake... oh boy, first we were an hour late out of Reno because of weather delays over Donner... then as we approached the railyards in Sparks we had to slow to a crawl because the electric de-icers had failed on the switches, and every time we came to a switch we had to stop, have the crew get out and break up the ice, and throw the switch manually. When we got about half way across the state we got stuck behind a freight train that had derailed (not a major derail, just one bogey came off the track, but that was still enough that it took several hours for a rescue crane to get out and take care of it). And finally about 50 miles outside of Salt Lake we had to stop again for a downed power line (even diesel trains have to stop for a downed power line, especially when said power line is 1) currently being worked on and 2) is shorting out the nearby signal). Oh the smokers loved that experience.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

All three of my train experiences have been... okay.

First two were when I went up to Boston to visit my girlfriend for the first time. Trip up was uneventful. Trip back was... moreso. A blizzard hit the East Coast that weekend, requiring me to cancel the original trip back and get a ticket for the next day instead. It was standing room only on much of the train until we passed New York City, when it emptied out. I'd been fortunate enough to find a seat and STAYED in it until I was certain no one would steal it. The real adventure came when I got back to DC and had to procure transportation back home through the snow (at least two feet of it), but I've already written about that.

The third came five years later, when I went up to visit the girlfriend again for Valentine's Day. Ice and snow were hitting already when I left, delaying my flight up. The ice and snow didn't let up the whole weekend, and caused so many delays and cancellations at the airport that my flight wasn't even on the board. I ended up just cancelling my flight and getting a train ticket the next day. That trip was pretty uneventful, apart from noisy kids in what was supposed to be the 'quiet car.'
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                      X