X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor pet peeves

not strong enough to be psychotic hatreds

The left lane is not a passing lane on regular / country roads
    These roads have left hand turns. And there's no signs stating "slower traffic keep right". So yes there will be cars driving the speed limit in the left lane. Why? Because they're trying to make left hand turns.

When the "right of way" road turns but the real road goes straight

Kinda like this: ______|______|

The first | is the turn to the "big chain". If you go straight back instead it ends at second | for a "smaller chain" store.

The big chain is so big... the turn to their lot has the right of way. So traffic leaving the smaller chain, even though they're going straight, has to wait for the traffic to clear from the other turn.

I know it makes sense cos "big chain" has more traffic than "small chain" but it still is weird to me.

Actually, it would make more sense for the smaller store to get right of way. Their traffic would clear the junction quickly, interrupting the large one only briefly.

Comment

yeah but that's not how they do it. the smaller store gets the stop sign while everyone making the turn to the left gets the right of way.

i don't like it but that's how the road is.

Comment

Minor peeve? Two lane county highway. 55mph (89kph) speed limit. When there's unobstructed sight and a broken yellow line, the convention is to pull into the opposite lane to make a left turn so that those behind you don't have to slow down. Once or twice a week (we "commute" daily to our farm), despite having seen three or four cars in front of them do this, someone will turn from the lane we're traveling in. Invariably they drop to 10mph to do it too. Perfectly legal, and probably safer, but irksome none-the-less.

Comment

i've never heard of that one myself to be honest.

Comment

Roundabouts. They put the damn things in on truck routes, but the turn radius is small enough that I'm scrubbing my right steer tire on the curb at the same time I'm dragging my left trailer tires onto the island in the middle.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Pepper - that's why it's a 'minor' peeve. Still, the principle is the same as pulling onto the shoulder to turn right, and many have seen it done ahead of them, so...

wolfie - the first ten feet or so of our latest roundabout's island is as flat as the street and has a very shallow "curb" for just that reason. Good thinking on the engineers' part.

Comment

oh and another minor pet peeve... the lady with the red ford taurus here cannot fucking park straight.

i mean at least she's not parking with the car's giant nose covering up the sidewalk anymore, but I can't say her new antics are much better, since she can't seem to stay between the lines.

Sometimes when I feel like being a bitch, I park next to her favorite spot when she's not there, meaning that she actually has to pay attention to how she pulls in. But it only corrects her for a few days and then she's back to just pulling in and leaving the car wherever she feels like the lines should be.

And ... even when I do park there, sometimes she still parks like an idiot.

oh and i didn't mean to say it wasn't a peeve, it was just a practice i've never heard of before that's all.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  oh and another minor pet peeve... the lady with the red ford taurus here cannot fucking park straight.
                  Sounds like a lady at my condo, especially the part about parking wherever she feels like the lines should be. Sometimes she parks just fine, but usually she's crossed over the line (and usually at an angle), or she's straddling two spots.

Comment

oh and i didn't mean to say it wasn't a peeve, it was just a practice i've never heard of before that's all.
                    Yeah, we're on the same page; I knew that's what you meant. I should have said that's why it's just a peeve, not a psychotic hatred: can't really expect everyone driving to be that aware.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      wolfie - the first ten feet or so of our latest roundabout's island is as flat as the street and has a very shallow "curb" for just that reason. Good thinking on the engineers' part.
                      Some are like that. Others, when I got to my next stop, I've pulled bits of shrubbery out of the bogie.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                        Sounds like a lady at my condo, especially the part about parking wherever she feels like the lines should be. Sometimes she parks just fine, but usually she's crossed over the line (and usually at an angle), or she's straddling two spots.
                        I've always owned small cars (I rarely have more than me in it, so a big car is a waste of money/fuel) so when someone parks like that in a crowded car-park I love backing into the space so that my passenger-side door is within a centimetre of touching their driver's door. Only when it means I'm still legally within my space, of course

My one exception to this is when they've got a disabled badge in the window; the local agreement is that if a disabled driver can't find an empty disabled space, they can park straddling the line between 2 spaces and put their badge in the window so that they have room to open the doors.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

i mean at least she's not parking with the car's giant nose covering up the sidewalk anymore, but I can't say her new antics are much better, since she can't seem to stay between the lines.
                          I spoke too soon. Apparently she CAN park straight. Sometimes.
                          But apparently those times also coincide with the times she covers the sidewalk with the car's nose.

Comment

I spoke too soon. Apparently she CAN park straight. Sometimes.
                            But apparently those times also coincide with the times she covers the sidewalk with the car's nose.
                            There's a place near by here (a train station, none the less) that has signs up stating, "If you're car's nose is over the sidewalk, you will be towed."

I have been waiting for a train/bus and saw someone actually get towed for having the entire front end of their car (and it was a boat) hanging over the sidewalk.

It made my day.
                            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

i'm debating whether or not to complain to the AM about it. there's enough parking for all, so really it's just a pet peeve. although i'm tempted to park next to her on purpose.

i just don't want to be like my former neighbor "mr. north" who bitched and bitched - even took photos of bad parking - when he himself (and especially his wife) were just as bad as those they complained about.

cos i know my parking isn't always good either. sometimes i park a little cockeyed - although i keep it between the lines at least and try not to do that. other times i park too close to the sidewalk myself.

and that's pretty much the reason why i haven't bitched about the fucked up red taurus parking... cos although hers is worse than mine, mine isn't perfect either.

it just annoys me that she gets out of the car and somehow thinks it's OK to park across lines. but... as i said it's a pet peeve and... isn't really hurting anyone yet. if we get more people moving in (I think there's an empty apartment or 2 on her side) then it'll be a problem, but one that will probably quickly be fixed. and i don't want to be under a microscope either of course

Comment

Working...
                              X