Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in crappy conditions pop quiz!

So say that you are driving a silver-greyish coloured car. It is very foggy outside and also most likely raining.

Do you:

A: Turn your high beams/fog lights/other specialty lights to ensure that you can be clearly seen?
    B: Turn on your headlights with the occasional flickering of the high beam to check for other cars?
    C: fail to turn on ANY sort of light (headlight or high beam) causing my SO to almost ram into you?

If you answered C, congratulations, you're the dumbass my boyfriend encountered yesterday.

Also an added fail: WHY do people not understand that wet road=you need to brake earlier!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

For some reason, it seems like the people in the silver gray cars, which are hardest to see in that sort of weather, are the least likely to have any kind of lights on.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      For some reason, it seems like the people in the silver gray cars, which are hardest to see in that sort of weather, are the least likely to have any kind of lights on.
      This is one of the reasons why I am planning on never buying a silver car.

If I upgrade my current bomb, I am planning on either going white or something very different. I don't care if it's another $200 on top of the cost of a new car, at least I'm getting peace of mind. (My parents cars are black and a purple-black respectively. My sister's car is blue and mine is white)

I am tempted to go for the bright colours honestly

Comment

We have so many white cars here, which is stupid because it snows.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          We have so many white cars here, which is stupid because it snows.
          And should I ever decide to go on an exchange program to the US, I will avoid using a white car

(Seriously, there are options for teachers in most states to do exchanges with the US, UK, Germany and one or two other coutnries depending on state. Sadly Japan isn't on that list )

Comment

Although "A" isn't entirely correct either. IIRC high beams are bad in fog. But it's better than nothing still.

come to think of it though, i do have a silver/grey car. i don't really think about headlights in fog ... mainly because i turn my lights on every time I drive. there's only a few times where i've forgotten to turn my lights on. (although i do have daytime running lights & automatic headlights too)

Comment

I have a silver car and even in good weather it seems to be invisible. Within months of purchasing it I had someone just merge into my lane...while I was still in it. Had to have the entire driver's side body replaced under the other vehicle's insurance...and the other driver wasn't even on the insurance. He had borrowed the car. Almost had to put it on my full coverage until the other's liability went through at the last minute.

Comment

We got fogs here that sometimes don't lift all day in winter, and it's always the silver cars without any lights on.

When I bought my car I made a point of getting it in red - I figured if I got lost in the bush it would be easier to spot than the cream, beige, grey, white or green versions that Landrover seem to offer. However, even in bright daylight it is apparently still invisible. (Note to self - find that darn Klingon cloaking device and disable it ASAP!)

Comment

If you mean "invisible to other drivers" it's probably not the paint color. Your car could be painted in hi-vis yellow and some of the idiots on the road still wouldn't notice it.

Comment

One time I was going down the (thankfully, divided) interstate in the middle of one of those rainstorms that are so heavy that using windshield wipers seems to do little good at all...A driver coming from the other direction was driving a silver-grey car with no lights. I literally could not see him *at all* until he was within 5 car lengths of my own vehicle. Had we been on a non-divided street, that could have gotten ugly x.x
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's too bad that people in the 75 car pileup on I-77 in Virginia didn't take heed to being careful driving in the fog.

I am really careful on I-64 between Charlottesville and Staunton, VA. The fog is so bad there, they literally light up the lane markers. If that wasn't dangerous enough, I-64 is also prone to falling rocks. Heavy fog and falling rocks? Good luck!
                      This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        And should I ever decide to go on an exchange program to the US, I will avoid using a white car
                        That's not necessary everywhere in the US. We tend to lose cars, no matter what color they are, in the spring here in NM. And lights don't make a damn bit of difference either.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          That's not necessary everywhere in the US. We tend to lose cars, no matter what color they are, in the spring here in NM. And lights don't make a damn bit of difference either.
                          I've lost my car in the sea of white cars sometimes.

This is why I ended up putting geleez stickers on my car so I can walk past and identify it. (Basically they're these clear stickers that you paint, peel and stick anywhere. I've been using them on my car. They are legal as long as I can see out the back)

Comment

Whatever you do, try to avoid having a car with a black interior in the deep south of the US. One time, I grabbed a black steering wheel in the summer, and I received first-degree burns on my hands. Thankfully, it was more discomfort for the rest of the day than pain.

I wonder if this guy had been in that car.
                            This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

I've lost my car in the sea of white cars sometimes.

This is why I ended up putting geleez stickers on my car so I can walk past and identify it. (Basically they're these clear stickers that you paint, peel and stick anywhere. I've been using them on my car. They are legal as long as I can see out the back)
                              But you have to be able to see the car first. Which is somewhat difficult during a dust storm.

Quoth catcul View Post
                              Whatever you do, try to avoid having a car with a black interior in the deep south of the US. One time, I grabbed a black steering wheel in the summer, and I received first-degree burns on my hands. Thankfully, it was more discomfort for the rest of the day than pain.
                              And that's why I have a light-colored steering wheel cover and a sun shield.

New Mexico (daytime summer temps are upper 90s/low 100s), black interior, dark exterior color.
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X