This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Killed Me, and My Cat!

I have been a licensed driver for almost 30 years, and yesterday I had the most terrifying experience I have ever had while driving.

I left work early to pick up one of my cats from the vet. He had a surgical procedure, nothing life threatning, but still it was surgery, so he was not feeling his best. This is one reason why this experience was even worse for me than it would have been otherwise. Mess with me, that's bad enough, but mess with my 4-legged baby, and I will lose my shit.

On the way home, I'm driving on the interstate and come to a part where two lanes kind of fork to the right, and three lanes go straight into the downtown part of my city. I'm in the left lane of the right fork, when all of a sudden a car directly to my left in one of the going straight lanes decides to change over into my lane, right on top of me. I see him coming, and in a panic, lay on my horn. Usually when this happens, the other driver realizes their error and immediately corrects back into their lane. Not this guy, he just keeps coming over. Fortunately, no one was in the lane to my right so I immediately get over trying to get away from the idiot.

I am angry, needless to say, but still willing to chalk it up to an error in judgment by the other driver. Then, the next thing I know, here he comes into my lane AGAIN! Of course I'm blowing my horn like crazy, but it doesn't matter, he still just comes over, literally forcing me off the road onto the shoulder/emergency breakdown lane. Thank goodness there wasn't a broken down car or debris in this section, because I had to drive on the shoulder for several seconds (though it seemed like so much longer) until I could get on the road again. At this point the other driver is behind me. I am really convinced that there was no way the second time was an accident and they forced me off the road on purpose because you know, how DARE I blow at them for trying to get in my lane the first time.

At this point, I decide to call the police so I slow way down to get the other car to go around me so I can get their license plate #. As they come up beside me in the middle lane, I see the passenger window is down. I'm not proud of this part, but I rolled my window down and as they drew up alongside of me, I see that it's two middle-aged looking men and they are actually looking over and SMIRKING at me! I competely and totally lose my mind to the rage and screamed some words at them that I won't repeat here. They change lanes again and get back in front of me, and I grab my cell phone to call the police. Well, surprise surprise...they don't have a regular license tag, it's a paper dealer tag so here they are driving around like lunatics in a brand new car.

At this point there is an exit ramp, which they conveniently get off on. I don't know if that's where they were going to get off anyway or if they saw me with my cell phone and thought I might be calling the cops. For a moment, I considered following them, not to confront them, but to at least get the make and model of the car to make a report. The ONLY reason I didn't is because I figured my cat had already been through enough that day and needed to get home.

I got home and called my husband immediately, I was pretty much in hysterics. I wish I had waited to calm down before I called him because he was infuriated and wanted to find and kill them. Needless to say it took a while and several alcoholic beverages for me to calm down last night!

you know... sometimes i wonder if perhaps those dash cams might not be a bad idea.
    cos if worse comes to worse you can always turn the video in to the police and they have a good image of the other driver's license plate - vs having to remember it etc.

Comment

I'm glad you came out alright. WTF is with people?! That could have ended so much worse, and I'm glad it didn't.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      you know... sometimes i wonder if perhaps those dash cams might not be a bad idea.
      cos if worse comes to worse you can always turn the video in to the police and they have a good image of the other driver's license plate - vs having to remember it etc.
      Ditto that. Since my wreck, I've been thinking it may be nice to have one just in case.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        Thats pretty much why theyre so popular in Russia, so many bad drivers and insurance scams over there that its practicaly a necessity.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

As a cat daddy myself (beautiful blond 9 1/2 month boy named Jaimee) I hope your little BFF made sure to comfort you later that day, as cats often do when they sense mommy or daddy is not in the best of moods *hugs*

Comment

Oh gosh, I SO wish I had a dashcam! The way people drive in my neck of the woods, it might not be a bad idea for the future!

Thanks Estil, you are right about how comforting our pets can be when we are upset. I actually have four cats and I'm taking care of my parents dog right now too, so I had plenty of four-legged comfort that night!

Comment

Let's just say prior to my wife getting our first cat Tweetie a few years ago (who sadly passed away last year to a severe flea infestation; needless to say we make very sure our current cat gets Frontline/Advantage/whatever every month), the only kind of Cats I liked were the kind that play basketball! But believe me, she has very much turned me into a "crazy cat lady"

Comment

Disclaimer: I'm deaf. I wouldn't hear you if you honked at me. HOWEVER, I'm also very careful (almost the point of neurotic tic) to check all my mirrors frequently and do a complete over-the-shoulder check before I do any lane changes, turns, or reversals - basically anything that requires me to know where cars are. The one and only accident I have ever been in was when another car was speeding and pulled out of a side street after I'd checked and began to cross the intersection.

However, the fact that they were looking at you and smirking, yeah, the second lane change was probably a reaction to the first (and your honking) - but please tell me you did call the cops anyway?

Comment

If it's any consolation, that jackass will eventually pull his stunt on the wrong person (this time with a Cat under the hood instead of in the passenger compartment), they WON'T move over, and he'll scratch their chrome in the process of killing himself.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

There are no words for how much this TICKS ME OFF. To have so little concern for human life. I mean, who knows? The force of your pulling over could've flipped your car or they could've hit you, causing a fatal accident. VEHICLES ARE NOT TOYS!! ahem.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

No, sevendaysky, I didn't call the cops and I have regretted that decision immensely since this happened last week. I could have followed them for just a few minutes and at least gotten the make and model of their car and the direction they were going in. Nothing probably would have happened to them but I would have felt better.

The exit they got off on is near my office, and I have been on the lookout for them. I don't know what I would do though if by some miracle I were to see them again.

Comment

Dash cams rock. But regarding paper dealer tags -- did it have a temporary license number on it, or just the dealer name? Either way it would at least narrow things down for the cops.

Comment

Working...
                        X