Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can see me, I can't see you, what should you do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can see me, I can't see you, what should you do?

Okay, sooo...

Leaving the grocery store today, I find that a big ol' pedo truck is parked next to me. (You know the type, huge, no windows, white, the typical kind used to portray child abductors who tell kids they have puppies or candy.)

I can't see a darn thing down the aisle from that side, so I decide to very slowly start backing up. Very slowly. So that anyone coming up the aisle has a myriad of choices;

A) slow down and stop to let me come out, I would be eternally grateful
    or
    B) honk so that I stop and they can pass by.

I literally can not see a thing coming from that side until I'm almost all the way out of the parking spot anyway.

So, halfway out of the parking spot (still blind on that side), still going slow, I spot a big white car go flying by me, nearly taking out the read end of my car. I jam my brakes (yay for going really slow!) and proceed to swear at my rear view mirror as I go back to slowly pulling out again.

Yes. I understand the people in the lane have the right of way, but I CAN'T SEE THEM to yield the right of way to them. They can see my car, they know I can not see them, decide to not give me any warning (a honk) and just nearly take my back end (where all my groceries were!) out.

Ugh.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

I usually just stop and let the person back out, even if I'm not taking the spot. I mean, I have 2 minutes, you know?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

(You know the type, huge, no windows, white, the typical kind used to portray child abductors who tell kids they have puppies or candy.)
      OT, but this brings back memories. My parents use to drive one of those - but it was black. They said the cops would check it out in parking lots sometimes cos it looked like a drug-running van. (the other use you mentioned never occurred to them).

Comment

Haha, PepperElf, that's because the pedo ones are only white. Drug runners use black. They agreed to this color scheme in order to make sure people watching movies or TV shows know exactly what the truck is really for.
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Got the same thing Saturday. Was backing very slowly out of a stall when some bubble-headed bleach blonde bimbo in a big-ass SUV comes roaring down the aisle, slams on her brakes, and lays on the horn.

I understand that I'm to give people in the aisle the right of way as I'm backing out. That's why I was going slow. Take a fucking Xanax.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
            They agreed to this color scheme in order to make sure people watching movies or TV shows know exactly what the truck is really for.
            And let's not forget the windows tinted so dark that they can block out the light of an atomic bomb...Because a dark vehicle with illegal tint doesn't make the cops suspicious at all ~_~
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Got the same thing Saturday. Was backing very slowly out of a stall when some bubble-headed bleach blonde bimbo in a big-ass SUV comes roaring down the aisle, slams on her brakes, and lays on the horn.

I understand that I'm to give people in the aisle the right of way as I'm backing out. That's why I was going slow. Take a fucking Xanax.
              I'm pretty sure she shops at my store.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I'm sure it's actually in the UK's Highway Code that you're supposed to give way to anyone already maneuvering in the road; you wouldn't think so to see the people around here blasting past through shrinking gaps while others are trying to turn in the road or in car parks.

I was trying to shuffle my way into a parking space the other day & someone ran straight for the gap I needed to use to do my shuffling... (tiny sidelot, spaces only on one side, barely room to drive past unless everyone's parked properly - you know the score.)

Despite the fact I was still in the car, engine running, in the process of trying to move, they glared at me with such ferocity that I actually felt a wave of guilt for holding them up - until they finally moved past & demonstrated just why they were in such a hurry; they wanted to turn around & park facing the other way in the access lane, blocking the rest of the car park while they waited for a friend.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Haha, PepperElf, that's because the pedo ones are only white. Drug runners use black. They agreed to this color scheme in order to make sure people watching movies or TV shows know exactly what the truck is really for.
                  Unless its Black with a red stripe and Spoiler.

Then its the A-Team.
                  "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                  Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                    Unless its Black with a red stripe and Spoiler.

Then its the A-Team.
                    Now where is that darn like button?!?!?!?!
                    ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

(You know the type, huge, no windows, white, the typical kind used to portray child abductors who tell kids they have puppies or candy.)
                      As quickly as this thread went to "What are they thinking when they drive a van that fits that stereotype?" I thought of this immediately. Took it on my way home from work a while ago. I have to wonder if the hassle of being pulled over constantly is worth the "joke."
                      Last edited by sms001; 08-17-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Not all drug runners had a black van . . . The A-Team had one.

Now if you see an older green Chevy van, they're usually used by junk dealers around here. They used to be used by maintenance for the local City School District (before they merged w/the county in the mid 90's.)
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          But that one has a red stripe and a spoiler.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Hey, they sold stuff out of that van, too.

Granted, what they sold was ass-whuppin' and lead, but my point still stands!
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I had a similar situation a few years back but I have a small coupe and I had giant SUV's on both sides of me. I'm backing out at a snails pace and whipping my head back and forth trying to see past both cars at the same time as more of the lot is revealed. Then just as I look right there is a bang. I stop and look left to see a twenty something couple directly behind my car; the woman was holding a pizza, the guy had just slammed his hand down on my trunk to get my attention and they were both glaring at me.

I felt really, really bad and guilty...for about two minutes. Then I realized these two self entitled assholes had deliberately walked behind a car that was backing up even though it was clear the driver couldn't see them and acted like "I" was the one with the problem. At that point all I wanted to do was go find them and ACTUALLY run them over (and take their pizza too!).
                              You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Working...
                              X