Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, my advice would be to slow down *without* using your brakes. You can do that by simply getting off all of your pedals and coasting, on a level road. He controls the distance, you control the speed - so you can, eventually, set the safe speed for his chosen following distance, even if that turns out to be a crawl. "Only a fool breaks the two-second rule."

Also, don't be afraid to use your brakes if a hazard ahead - traffic lights, speed limit, steep downhill, traffic queue, whatever - warrants it. If the tailgater runs into the back of you, it'll be a low-relative-speed collision *and* it'll be his fault. It's much better than running into the hazard yourself at high speed. If you're concerned about whiplash, you can protect yourself by leaning back against your headrest. The further ahead you spot the hazard, the more gently you can use your brakes - which is part of general defensive driving, so practice it anyway.

Another useful trick applies if he's dazzling you with headlights. Usually the dazzle will come in via your mirrors. Simply redirect the mirror to shine back at him. It's an old trick but an effective one. Don't forget to put your mirrors back to normal when he's gone.

Finally, if he continues to tailgate and refuses to overtake, keep moving at a steady pace (to ensure that he can't get out and walk up to you) and call the police. This is one of very few situations where it is allowed to break the mobile-phone laws. You don't need his plate number, just keep them informed of where *you* are. There's a fairly good chance that he'll back off when he sees you on the phone, in which case do what you safely can to get his plate number and report that. Don't forget to keep watching where you're going.

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
      Tapping your brakes is... bad. Not a good idea. It's far safer to slow down gradually. Eventually their impatience gets the best of them and they'll zoom on by.
      This is what I do, as I've always been a bit afraid to try the "tap the brake pedal" method ... yeah, it would probably count as his fault if he hit me, but really, do I need the aggravation? So I slow down ... and slow down ... and slow down ... it's even more fun if there's a steady line of oncoming traffic and the tailgater can't get past you. (I don't do this, of course, if there are others behind the tailgater ... no point in aggravating a whole lot of other presumably innocent drivers.)

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      *snip*

Also, don't be afraid to use your brakes if a hazard ahead - traffic lights, speed limit, steep downhill, traffic queue, whatever - warrants it. If the tailgater runs into the back of you, it'll be a low-relative-speed collision *and* it'll be his fault. It's much better than running into the hazard yourself at high speed. *snip*
      Second this. Definitely don't make the accident your fault!

Another useful trick applies if he's dazzling you with headlights. Usually the dazzle will come in via your mirrors. Simply redirect the mirror to shine back at him. It's an old trick but an effective one. Don't forget to put your mirrors back to normal when he's gone.
      I've wanted to do that soooo badly a few times in the past, but I'm never sure of the angle needed for the mirror ... my attempts haven't seemed to work. What I usually do is flip to the "darkened" mirror ... and slow down. It doesn't always work, but then again, what does?

Finally, if he continues to tailgate and refuses to overtake, keep moving at a steady pace (to ensure that he can't get out and walk up to you) and call the police. This is one of very few situations where it is allowed to break the mobile-phone laws. You don't need his plate number, just keep them informed of where *you* are. There's a fairly good chance that he'll back off when he sees you on the phone, in which case do what you safely can to get his plate number and report that. Don't forget to keep watching where you're going.
      Also a good idea. In the pre-cellphone days, my mother and a friend were driving home after hosting one of those Tupperware-like parties when they realized they were being followed. The neighbour was getting a little panicky, but mom kept driving calmly ... until she could pull into the parking lot of a local police station. Apparently the guy actually started to turn in after her ... when the light bulb over his head went on and he realized where she'd led him, at which point he vanished into the night at about the speed of sound.

Comment

Working...
      X