This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Things;

A) Seen so many people traveling in the far right lane on a high-way, in heavy traffic, being larking turnips and refusing to let anyone into the lane. This is the lane that everyone entering or exiting the highway must pass through. They're traveling in it for no other reason than I suppose too lazy to switch out of the lane (and traveling pretty far in it, I don't mean their exit is up soon so they are preparing, I mean legit traveling.) Nice to see the farther left/faster lanes get held up because some poor schmuck is trying to not miss his exit and have to sit in traffic for another 10-15 minutes before the next exit is up.

B) SO MANY LARKING PEOPLE BLOCK THE BOX (or sit in the middle of the intersection when the light has changed, meaning traffic flowing perpendicular or just crossing the box can't go during their green light.)

I've been driving the van picking up doggies for play group for about two and a half weeks now. Man are these two things the most frustrating parts of driving around the city.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

B) is definitely one of those "Where are the cops when you NEED them?!" situations >_> that's supposedly one of the more egregious moving violations, and it can be downright dangerous.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

In regards to B, I don't know about other areas, but Pittsburgh has quite a few places that unless you do block the box...you'll *never* get to turn left! It's not so bad out in the 'burbs, but inside the city limits, left-turn arrows are in short supply for some reason. Even if there is one...it might only let one car through the intersection!
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
        In regards to B, I don't know about other areas, but Pittsburgh has quite a few places that unless you do block the box...you'll *never* get to turn left! It's not so bad out in the 'burbs, but inside the city limits, left-turn arrows are in short supply for some reason. Even if there is one...it might only let one car through the intersection!
        It's not blocking the box if both lights go red and you immediately turn left, getting out of the box fairly quickly.

I mean when people who are going straight go through the light and can't fit on the other side, so they just sit in the middle of the box for the entire light cycle. Which means people trying to travel in the other direction can't go. At all.
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
          I mean when people who are going straight go through the light and can't fit on the other side, so they just sit in the middle of the box for the entire light cycle. Which means people trying to travel in the other direction can't go. At all.
          Yup, this is what start's happening here in my area after Memorial Day. All the summer people show up and try to treat our nice little town like it's freaking Manhattan. Up to and including ignoring the bright high visibility green 'Pedestrians have the right of way' signs.

It really drives me nuts when I'm trying to make the ONE turn I need to get away from the insanity of the main street and I can't because one jackass had to block the whole intersection because waiting at the light would have been too difficult.

We have an intersection without a light, but it sits just above an intersection with a light. Often, the line stopped for the light backs up to and beyond the side street without a light. So many times I see people block the entrance to that street, even though they have absolutely no where to go, when there are people clearly waiting to make the turn.

Comment

In NH most of the interstate highways are only two lanes to begin with. The right lane is for travel and getting on/off the highway, the left lane is supposed to be for passing only (and TBH I'm not sure if that's in the law-books or just the way locals are taught to use the highway).

As far as B goes I have to admit there is one intersection near me where I am tempted (and I have seen other people do it on a daily basis). It's a four-way and everyone from multiple office/industrial parks is trying to go up one leg of the X. There is another light about 200 yards up the road. Because it is legal to take a right on red all the people that need to take a right to get on that leg simply fill the entire 200 yards between the lights. If you are going straight through the intersection or coming from the left where you need to take a left you either need a lucky timing coincidence where you get a green just as the line of cars filling the 200 yard stretch start to move from when the other light went green or you need to just drive into the intersection blocking or partly blocking the intersection until the line of cars start to move.

I've seen two or three light cycles where only one or two cars from the people going straight or taking a left can get through the intersection while people taking a right just breeze through. It's a really poor design; should be a no right on red sign for the people coming from the right so they don't get to monopolize the intersection (I swear, even if you have the green light the people taking right on red will try to wedge their cars in front of you).
            You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

In Ohio, the impetus for merging onto the highway is legally entirely on the person joining the highway. Now, it is considered good behavior to allow those coming up the on-ramp enough room to join the lane, but legally its on them to match speeds and find a space, or else yield.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
              X