X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different take: Cars make sharp turns

Dear Stirling Moss Jr/Lewis Hamilton's cousin/Dale Earnhardt's step-nephew,
    I get it. You've got an econobox with delusions of grandeur thanks to eBay and some knock-off M/R/AMG/turbo badges, and you've watched every episode of Top Gear as if it really was the factual show it claims to be/6 seasons of Nascar/all the Fast & Furious movies. In short, you think your car should be driven hard, and you think you know just how to do that.

The problem (as far as you're concerned) is that you're on urban streets built to follow centuries-old donkey tracks, rather than the closed-to-the-public wide flat US 10-lane interstates your heroes get to use. This means that you're unlikely to get your speed into double digits, let alone fast enough to use the handbrake around every turn.

The problem (as far as I'm concerned) is that you're making up for this by trying to follow the "racing line," going far over to one side before turning the other way - which wouldn't be so much of an issue if you weren't blocking other lanes in the process.

Here's the thing: you will never need to do a Scandinavian Flick in city traffic. If you're turning across approaching traffic, the road's already plenty wide enough for you to make the turn at normal speeds & be straightened up on entry to the other road without you positioning the nearside of your vehicle halfway across my Ahead Only lane. This goes double if you've had to stop to wait for a gap in traffic in order to make the turn.

Yours about to scrape all the paint off one side of your car,
    RU
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
    Dear Stirling Moss Jr/Lewis Hamilton's cousin/Dale Earnhardt's step-nephew,
    Isn't this a rather Petty complaint?

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
    I get it. You've got an econobox with delusions of grandeur thanks to eBay and some knock-off M/R/AMG/turbo badges
    Even if the badges were for real, that doesn't imply "hot" performance. My 2-seater with a monster engine is turbocharged, and it doesn't "haul ass" worth a damn (it can, however, haul 60,000 pounds on the 5th wheel).
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Well yeah, it's a turbo *diesel*.

But I'll see your 30 tons trailing load and raise you 320 tons trailing (plus 150 tons for the tractive units) with test-run speeds recorded in excess of 140 mph. As they say, there's no replacement for displacement - and there are two turbochargers involved as well.

Comment

Working...
      X