This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain makes roads slippery!

I live in a desert, so I guess it's not really unexpected that people have no freakin clue how to drive on wet roads out here.

Went into town early this evening, and it rained a bit. Just enough to get the roads wet and as slick as possible. I'm headed home and on one side is a car making a left into the middle turn lane to go the same direction I'm heading. On the other side is a truck pulling out of a business driveway into the other lane going my way. I really didn't want to be directly between the two vehicles as they were making their turns, 'cause ya know, people are stupid, so I hit my brakes to slow down just a bit and see the truck on my right fishtailing because he tried to pull out too quick on the wet road. If I hadn't slowed down just a bit, he'd likely have hit me before his back end quit sliding all over the road. Sheesh.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

We had a kid in our area die yesterday, at 17 years old, because he was up on a fun semi-rural road, and lost traction and drove his 2015 Audi into a tree.... Closed the road for 4 hours both directions while they pulled the car back on the road and onto a flatbed, and got him out and on his way to the morgue. Don't know how fast he was going, but I KNOW it was well over the posted limit.

Comment

The one time I really got into trouble when I was driving the little red car with bald summer tires, it was in rain, not ice and snow. I blame the crappy tires.

Comment

Trust me on this one -- People who live in areas where it rains more or less every day a certain times of the year don't know how to drive on wet roads, either x.x
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Trust me on this one -- People who live in areas where it rains more or less every day a certain times of the year don't know how to drive on wet roads, either x.x
          I was just coming to post this. We don't tend to get the heavy downpours that other areas do, but the roads are wet pretty often. Mist, fog, drizzle. It is bad when it rains after being dry for a while, some people don't understand that.

Other than that I don't think it's too bad when it's just a bit damp, but people SUCK when there's standing water or harder rain. I remember years ago I was driving through Seattle at night. It was a very cold rain, almost snow. Pitch black, heavy rain. I'm in the slow lane going like 35 in a 55, in a nice safe line of cars. Then, in the fast lane, are the idiots going at least 60. I could barely see the tail lights of the person in front of me, even going 35 felt unsafe.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

A lot of people don't realize that a little rain can actually be more slippery than a lot of rain.

Why that is is that when it's just a little bit of rain it's just enough to make things wet, not actually wash any of the road grime away. That road grime is made up of dust, exhaust, leaked oil, etc, and reduces friction. How much reduction? That depends on the grime, amount of water, quality of tires, and a few other factors.

Comment

My dad, his sis and bro grew up in high dessert in AZ. They learned to drive in everything because high desserts are strange and have every kind of weather.

Comment

Working...
              X