This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Place Stupidity

I caught the thread titled “So… Whats your Handicap” Sadly it is locked, I have two stories that are humorous on this subject. (NOT FRACKING!!)

The first Involves two buddies of mine one is missing one of his legs just below the knee cap (we will call him Stump) and the other has a large leg brace and shoulder brace on due to taking rounds in the First Gulf war. (We will call him Doc)
    So Stump and Doc decided to go to Wally World and pick up some brews. Doc had to use his wife’s car as she had parked behind him in the driveway. So they motor on up the road about a 3 min drive and park in a Handicap spot. No Doc doesn’t think anything about it as he has handicap plates on HIS car. Well up pulls some 600+ pound bubba in his F150 Monster truck that is exceeding its weight capacity, rolls down the window and starts yelling at Stump and Doc for taking his space. So Stump reaches down pulls off his prostatic leg and throws it at the guys truck, Doc comes walking around his car and now Bubba can get a good look at the cyborg looking arm and leg brace he has on. By this time Stump has hopped around the car picked up his leg and is BEATING it on the guys truck demanding to know if this is handicapped enough for him.. Needless to say Bubba floored it out of the parking lot, Stump and Doc got some brews and the day was saved.

My Personal story happened this last Monday. I and the GF were driving back from our Vacation, we got hungry and she needed to use the ladies room so we pulled in to a gas and gulp. Well I parked in the handicap space and hung the GF handicap placard. A motorcyclist and his GF parked next to us and were giving me dirty looks. They went inside, a few minutes later I wheeled the GF inside in her wheelchair the looks on their faces were priceless. See the GF fell off a 12 foot ladder last Dec and landed on her Right knee. She now has perm nerve damage and a screwed up knee. I just smiled and kept on going. We got our food and some water for the dog and left. (yes he got half my burger lol)

Side Note: The Dog was in the shade with the windows down. I offer free window smash to people that leave their dogs in hot cars. My Bros wife thinks I treat my dog better than she treats her kid... then again I may just agree with that she treats her kid badly.

Many of the players on the Philadelphia Eagles live in South Jersey - a few years ago one of them got in trouble for parking his SUV land boat illegally in a handicapped space. There's a local woman who takes photos of people who do that - park without any handicapped placard/license plate in handicapped spaces. It was just blind luck (bad for the Eagle) that she happened to get him.

I don't think the team disciplined him, but I think he had to go to court for it.

Yep - found it... it was two of them, actually:

http://articles.philly.com/2006-03-0...g-spaces-fines

Comment

Ouch, my sympathies for the screwed-up knee! I have just a little damage (probably built-in and aggravated through decades of abuse) and that was more than unpleasant enough for me!

I have absolutely no compunction about using Mom's handicapped placard to get good parking spaces when I am driving her around. Though last weekend it didn't do me any good, all of the handicapped spaces were already taken! I lucked out with a regular spot a block away (parking in SF can be challenging!!).

Mom has Parkinson's, and wobbles pretty badly. It often makes her look like she's completely blotto, which has caused some stink-eye from others. The funny thing is, when she has a couple of drinks, very often the wobbles damp out! So the more sober she looks, the drunker she probably is!
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

My mom still drives with hand controls at age 81, and sometimes is driven by me, in her car. And sometimes, esp if say we are outlet shopping, or something similar, I'll go back to the car to put stuff in, leaving her, and then go back to do some more shopping. I am just waiting for someone to say something to me about how I don't look like I need that spot. And they're right, I don't, BUT when my mom wheels over in her chair, and gets into the driver's seat, yes, its clear the car belongs there.

Comment

Sounds like the time I was yelled at for taking a guy's "spot" - by parking in a regular space with handicapped plates and not in the handicapped area. Yeah, it's my dad's car and I'm not entitled to use the privilege, so go find somewhere else, dumbass.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            Sounds like the time I was yelled at for taking a guy's "spot" - by parking in a regular space with handicapped plates and not in the handicapped area. Yeah, it's my dad's car and I'm not entitled to use the privilege, so go find somewhere else, dumbass.
            I once had to go to the mall for a last minute gift on December 23rd. Please don't hate me, it was my sweetie's fault. I followed a car with handicapped plates into the parking lot and parked in the south 40. The car with the handicapped plates drove past several open handicapped spots and also parked in the south 40. A young lady hopped out and walked into the mall ahead of me through the snow and mush.

We ended up in the same store, buying the same "must have" item and in the same line.

I took the time to compliment her because she hadn't used the open handicapped spot close to the mall and she looked at me with big eyes and said that she was using her grandmother's car and knew that if her grandmother learned that she had been abusing the plate, her grandmother would have had a heart attack while trying to beat her to death with a walker.

Comment

When my mom got her new hip she had temp a handicapped hang tag... Almost immediately after the surgery she could walk super well. Though the tag was good for a year, she stopped using really quickly. A friend of hers was quite surprised that my mom didn't just keep using it, even though she didn't need it. Because... hey, why not? It was hers, she wouldn't be breaking any laws by using it. But my mom knew she didn't need it, and that was that.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
              X