This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merica

So I haven't posted here in roadkill for a while but I still see people who seem to have left their brains at home where they drive. Why my fellow mericans? Why?

Brainless 1: This was back on July 4th. I saw this guy with a HUGE Merican flag on his truck. I mean his truck was big but the flag was bigger. He sped past me, flag waving in the air, and while I appreciated his patriotism and what not, all I could think of was that it was going to fly off and hit someone at the speed he was going. Right on the windshield, and they'd swerve into me. Or I'm going to be the one hit. Fortunately, this didn't happen. I saw him a few miles down, pulled over and fixing his flag that had fell. Hmm.

Brainless 2: There's this part of the city with a new plaza/outside mall, and I call it the Cesspool because people do not follow/read the signs. There's a 4 way stop intersection. I roll over, stop. I see a guy coming fro my left. I assume that he was going to stop...NOPE. He sees me, assumes that my stopping means I'm letting him thru, then speeds right at me just as I'm going. I brake and he throws his hands up and punches the wheel with his fists while I dirty look him. In the end, he speeds off, shooting my dirty looks while I get flashbacks from my accident from 10 years ago (a long time but ptsd sucks.) Learn to read, moron.

Brainless 3: Why oh why do people do this. 3 point turn right at me. So were driving with him right in front at 40 mph. All the sudden he swings around, backs up right in front of me. I beep. Then he swings some more to do a U turn with a BIG GRIN. I'm pretty sure that's illegal in the middle of a two way street. Becoming disturbingly common.

Brainless 4: Stop blocking traffic. There's a guy that begs for money at a busy intersection. The other day the light turns green and someone was holding up the line to give him money, just blew my mind. I don't care if someone wants to give money away, but just to regard the ones behind you, rude! I wonder if this happens in other countries?
    Last edited by HotelMinion; 08-01-2017, 09:29 AM.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Not unusual to have most of this happen here in My Hometown ... which is definitely not in Merica (look north ).

People stop to let somebody make a left turn ... even though there is nobody behind the stopped party, and of course if the stopped party starts up again and there's a collision, the left-turner will get the blame. Just GO, already!

As for reading signs ... Yep. I mean, nope.

And today I saw several idiots do crazed slaloms across two or three lanes because they suddenly decided their turn was RIGHT HERE!!! And heaven forbid they go a bit further and do a civilized turnaround and then go back a block or two, ya know?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
      Brainless 1: This was back on July 4th. I saw this guy with a HUGE Merican flag on his truck. I mean his truck was big but the flag was bigger. He sped past me, flag waving in the air, and while I appreciated his patriotism and what not, all I could think of was that it was going to fly off and hit someone at the speed he was going.
      I've seen an awful lot of vehicles with these flags, and I wonder the same thing, if they're fastened down solidly enough or if they're going to fly off and smash up the next vehicle. Not to mention, those flags get tattered pretty quickly. If I wanted a flag on my car, I'd get a sticker. Much safer.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Lately I've been going through two roundabouts each way to work and back... Good grief people, you are so stupid, no amount of schooling will fix it. One roundabout is right before the community college, and idiots just fly straight into the two lane roundabout without a care in the world. Well, if one of them does hit me, my dash cam will show them not even looking or touching their breaks. So far I've been able to anticipate and not get hit, but eventually these drivers are determined to hit *something.*

Also, sometimes people will defend bad roundabout habits by saying that they're "new" and not everyone knows how to drive in them. I remember when they actually WERE new, but it's been years and years at this point. Plus, even when they were new it's really not that hard. And you know what? There's always one rule, regardless of how new an intersection is. What is that rule? Oh yeah, it's "look around you and try not to run into anything." Pretty simple I think.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          Pretty simple I think.
          Last year was the first time I've been in a round-about in over twenty years. Had no clue who had the right away while inside the circles in Washington state since the last ones I drove in were in Louisiana and Texas. The Louisiana one I was stuck in for five to ten minutes before I was able to nudge my way out. I find traffic circles to be creepy.
          Last edited by EricKei; 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM. Reason: We just read it, thanks! :)
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

The traffic circles out here have both standing signs and road marks. Our newly built junction has 3 circles for people to traverse to go to 3 different parts of the state is really confusing.

When I see someone who is confused and going around the whole thing again, I just wait for them to get out of the circle without the added distraction of another car.

Comment

In my town these are the most common larger roundabout signs,

It's pretty simple. The drivers I'm complaining about basically just shut their eyes and hit the gas as they enter. I haven't noticed license plates from other states, except Canada. So if these people are all from out of town... Well, I still don't have pity because they aren't using their eyes, they're actively trying to ram into the side of my car.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I bet they'd lose their s**t over this one:

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

The small town that my brother is a cop for, when they installed their first round-about, he had sit on it, most of the time, for the first couple weeks. He didn't give out many tickets, really just pulled people over to educate on how to use it. That was a couple years go, not sure now, I think it more depends on the case.
                  Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

I encountered my first traffic circle when I was 24? - downtown Edmonton rush hour, rental car. At the time (1975) the one and only traffic circle in Salt Lake metro (and probably the entire state) was in the middle of a subdivision in Glendale.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      I bet they'd lose their s**t over this one:
                      Ah, the good old magic roundabout. The reason Brits start giggling hysterically when Americans start moaning about simple little one-lane roundabouts being too complicated.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Ya know, Nunavut Pants, that looks very well planned out and I bet it works very well to keep traffic moving...up until the first time a noob got in there.

Comment

We first ran across those when my husband and I were both in the AF and were stationed just north of London in the early 70's. Actually, weren't that difficult to figure out (at least, for us). They have been working on widening sections of I-85 near where we live in NC and have put several roundabouts on some of the overpasses. People have been going out of their minds!
                          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I know we Have roundabouts/traffic circles back in Luuuuziana, but the only one I have been through is the one that's suspended a storey or two above ground -- one highway dips below it (East-West), while the other goes above it (North-South). (Not visible : the fact that Airline Dr dips down a good bit below that overpass, so it serves as a major drainage spot -- not that this stops a few dumbasses from trying to drive THROUGH water that can easily be above a car's roof)
                            Last edited by EricKei; 08-08-2017, 09:46 PM.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X