This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Light Camera Violation? Really?

I just received an email that claimed that a traffic camera caught me doing 57 mph in a 35 mph zone. I found a few problems with this:

1. It was sent to my brand new email address. The & changed my email address post merger.

2. Greensboro has stopped using traffic cameras since 2005.
    3. I drive a red car, and the picture provided doesn't show a red car.
    4. I didn't leave my apartment on the day in question.
    5. It doesn't give the location of said violation, just the Traffic Camera ID.
    6. The picture has a style of red lights that are not used often in NC.

Do you think this is a scam?

Yes, I did report it.

A vehicle registered to was observed by a stationary traffic camera traveling: 57 mph (miles per hour) in a: 35 mph (miles per hour) zone. This has resulted in a traffic citation.
    Basic information about this citation:

Date of Citation: Saturday, January 18, 2020
    Fine Amount: $275.00
    License Points charged: 1
    Traffic Camera ID: A93820014BS

To see more details about this citation, a photo of your vehicle, and information about paying the fine or requesting an appeal, please see the attachment.

Please note: If the full amount of this traffic citation is paid on or before Wednesday, February 12, 2020, no points will be charged to your license. If the full amount of this traffic citation is not paid on or before the above date, a late penalty of 10% will be added to the original amount for each day after this date.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Question: did the picture show a clear license plate?? and if it did was it yours??? if it was yours I would highly suspect a photoshop scam
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Was the attachment a PDF? I'd be paranoid over any suspicious (hell just about any unexpected) emails with attachments. If it was sent to a work email I'd automatically forward it to your local IT or Security group to check out.

If it was personal email address, I'd probably still not open the attachment unless I trusted who it was from, even to 'peek' and see what they were trying to scam you with.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        Question: did the picture show a clear license plate?? and if it did was it yours??? if it was yours I would highly suspect a photoshop scam
        I didn't see a license plate in the picture. It showed a white 1970's era Buick running a red light. I couldn't find a license plate.

Quoth Jetfire View Post
        Was the attachment a PDF? I'd be paranoid over any suspicious (hell just about any unexpected) emails with attachments. If it was sent to a work email I'd automatically forward it to your local IT or Security group to check out.

If it was personal email address, I'd probably still not open the attachment unless I trusted who it was from, even to 'peek' and see what they were trying to scam you with.
        I did report it to the phishing team. I think it was a new ploy by the Nigerian prince.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Interesting that a Red Light camera caught you speeding.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
            Do you think this is a scam?

Yes, I did report it.
            "Please note: If the full amount of this traffic citation is paid on or before Wednesday, February 12, 2020, no points will be charged to your license. If the full amount of this traffic citation is not paid on or before the above date, a late penalty of 10% will be added to the original amount for each day after this date. "
            It's absolutely a scam. Traffic violations resulting from a photographic monitor are actual citations sent to your physical address. That 'no points if paid by xx date' is pretty much a dead giveaway, too.

Comment

Working...
            X