X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Car Has A Cloaking Device, Apparently

This happened two days ago.

Incident One
    I was stepping out to get some lunch and then hit up the grocery store to get the makings for dinner for the next day. So I leave the house, and head toward the Nawlins Chicken that I've been going to for the past decade. I'm in the right lane as I approach a traffic light-- this intersection does not have a dedicated right turn lane, so things can get slowed up a bit if you're in the right lane.

Car in front of me makes a right turn, so I'm essentially stopped waiting for them to finish. As they do, I start moving again-- and have to stop because BOTH the oncoming left-turn lane AND the right-turn lane from the other flow of traffic, have cars trying to make their turns, seemingly assuming that I was also turning at the light.

I slow down, but am still entering the intersection-- and I see that Left Turn is still trying to make the turn, albeit slowly, expecting me to stop and let them go through. I do not, as I have the right of way.

I head onward, shaking my head and muttering about the stupidity.

Incident Two
    So I hit up Nawlins Chicken, which is in a little shopping center. I park in the lot of the center so I can enjoy my lunch, and then prepare to head back out. I'm moving up the service lane in the center toward a street exit, most of the traffic of which turns right to come to a stop light. As I'm approaching, there's a car at the street exit, preparing to turn right.

There is also another car preparing to leave a parking area, waiting at a stop line to make a left turn to go to the street exit. It's this car which starts to move forward as the car at the exit departs-- and then has to stop abruptly when it suddenly notices that I'm there, and I'm still in motion.

I stop at the street exit, then make my turn, and mutter a bit more aggravatedly about it happening twice in one day.

Incident Three
    I'm now heading more or less back the way I came, as the grocery store I prefer is in the opposite direction from Nawlins Chicken. I pass the traffic light from Incident One, and then past a bigger traffic light intersection. At this time, I'm in the left lane.

After I move through the intersection, at a decent (but not excessive) clip, I see an SUV at a side street ahead decide to make its left turn. And it's moving quickly enough that I know it's not going to stop at the break in the median to wait for an opening, and also that if I don't do something, I'm going to plow into them.

So I quickly move over to the right lane, honking on the way, as-- sure enough-- they reach the lane to which they'd been turning about the same time as I would have reached that same point.

SUV driver does not acknowledge it, and I end up cussing up a storm in my car as I finish the drive to the grocery store.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

"I need to commute in a Sherman!"
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

While a Sherman tank would be just a little hard to *NOT* notice, I wouldn't count on it being seen. I've driven some ...rather large things about, and :facepalm: "How could you NOT see me?"
      ...although the tank would have some rather nice ways to get a point across. While the *obvious* one would be several kinds of illegal (and likely get your ride removed from you), a set of treads can do wonderful things.

Comment

The Sherman has the advantage of not likely losing in the encounter.

"What do you mean I ran over a Kia?"
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          The Sherman has the advantage of not likely losing in the encounter.

"What do you mean I ran over a Kia?"
          Reminds me of a bit on The Grand Tour's Conversation Street segment. Clarkson related a news story about a motorcyclist accidentally running into a tank. He relates the relatively minor injuries the motorcyclist sustained, and then points out the unnecessary line in the story: "The driver of the tank was uninjured."

He adds, "You can just see him getting back to the base and going, 'I hit a WHAT?'"
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
            I've driven some ...rather large things about, and :facepalm: "How could you NOT see me?"
            I once saw a description of such an incident where the apparently cloaked vehicle was 8 feet wide, 9 or so feet tall, dozens of feet long, painted fire engine red, and making a lot of noise.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
              I once saw a description of such an incident where the apparently cloaked vehicle was 8 feet wide, 9 or so feet tall, dozens of feet long, painted fire engine red, and making a lot of noise.
              On that one... okay buddy, carefully take your driver's license out of your wallet, set it down on the ground, and walk away.

Still, I'm used to having idiots trying to change lanes, INTO ME, even though my vehicle would completely occupy their vision.
              ...when I drove a Geo/Chevy Metro, I *really* wanted to put a big-truck airhorn under the hood. Pretty much, the same damn reason.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                On that one... okay buddy, carefully take your driver's license out of your wallet, set it down on the ground, and walk away.
                Also set down your car keys with it, just to make sure.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post

Still, I'm used to having idiots trying to change lanes, INTO ME, even though my vehicle would completely occupy their vision.
                  ...when I drove a Geo/Chevy Metro, I *really* wanted to put a big-truck airhorn under the hood. Pretty much, the same damn reason.
                  One of my cars makes a Geo look overweight... I fortunately have a huge amount of room under the hood, I just need to get around to workin out how to mount the compressor
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                    One of my cars makes a Geo look overweight... I fortunately have a huge amount of room under the hood, I just need to get around to workin out how to mount the compressor
                    A scuba diving tank would likely work well, unless you're a *****blankety****, always on the horn.
                    <edit> ...or a paintball tank.
                    Last edited by dalesys; 09-03-2021, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Oh there's a thought. Nice!
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                        ... I *really* wanted to put a big-truck airhorn under the hood. Pretty much, the same damn reason.
                        Cue the cavemen from B.C. when the dinosaur speaks... *GRONK!*

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                        Oh there's a thought. Nice!
                        There'd need to be some kind of regulator/limiter, as 3,000 psi directly connected would produce a very short sharp bleat... and a very good emulation of a grenade under your hood.
                        Last edited by EricKei; 09-03-2021, 11:53 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Small compressor, on a pressure switch, to keep the tank topped up. If you've got a LOT of room, there's always a 5 trumpet set instead of just 1-2. 1-2 is big truck (up to 80,000 pounds), 5 is a TRAIN (HOLY SHEEPDIP! pounds)

Comment

Don't need much pressure.
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                              Been there, done that... I've driven a 1991 and a 1995 Metro. Plus a Chevy Aveo5 that was bright red. Still nearly had an SUV drive into me.
                              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Working...
                              X