Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid driver, Cop. Cop, stupid driver.

I am going down the highway in the right lane, cop in a marked car in front of me. As we are going by a entrance ramp SD comes flying on to highway, cuts off the cop and other motorists as they cross three lanes of traffic to get to inside lane. But it gets worse. SD had not cleaned the snow and ice off their car. As they go in front of the now stopped cop (to avoid accident) a huge sheet of show and ice comes flying off their roof and hit the cop car. Pieces even land on the trunk.

Most of the other motorists remain stopped/slow to allow the cop to go after the idiot. A few miles down the road SD is pulled over with a pissed off looking cop standing next to his car, ticked book in hand. SD is on the phone. I hope that car had a dash cam so if stupid driver takes it to court....

o dayum!

what an idiot! ... i hope that ice didn't break the cop's windows...but if it did, hell idiot driver is liable for the damage! hah!

Comment

Some friends came down from MA during one of the heaviest snows we've had in decades down here. The roads were clear, believe it or not. So we went to supper, my van packed out and the MA visitors following in their SUV.

Big sheet of snow and ice blew off my roof and exploded all over my friend's windsheild when we hit the highway.

We didn't know to clear it off, it never occured to us! It NEVER SNOWS LIKE THAT HERE!!

Thank God it was okay and they laughed about it. They were all in the SUV going "Idiot southerners! Don't know how to drive when it snows!!" and laughing at us.

Comment

yeah it's harder to see that on a van top... on my own car i try to clean the hood and roof off too, cos ... well it's a car, i can reach it with my scraper-broom...

and when i drive, if i don't clean it off... it'll likely blow back on to the windshield or back window and screw up my visibility. ... plus if i do what a lot of idiots do where my parent's live - they leave like 2 feet of snow on the roof on *cars*... then i'll just reduce my miles/gallon ratio and hey... i don't wanna have to buy more gas just to cart the snow around like bleh.

Comment

I must admit when it last snowed, I forgot about the snow on the roof.

Until I joined the local trunk road, and couldn't work out where the spray of snow was coming from!
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

There's talk here in MA about fines if car roofs are not cleaned off (or some sort of law, I don't remember the news story exactly).

My dad has had a few close calls in NM. Usually I take it upon myself to get up on the SUV and make sure any ice that could cause damage (basically anything large/solid/sitting high enough to not disintegrate when it leaves the car) is removed.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

hmmmm, maybe I'm suck on this one. I usually do a quick brush off my car but let the wind and the highways blow off whatever I don't knock off myself. I've never really thought it was a big deal. Also brings to mind my neighbour who has a pickup truck that fills with snow in the winter and NEVER empties the box out of the white stuff.
              Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

I blame drivers who follow too close. Ideally, one would be far enough away from the preceding car so as to be able to see and react to anything flying off...although if it's a chunk of ice, those will seem to make a beeline for the closest car and there's not always enough distance between cars to "let" it hit the ground first.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I drive a SUV and it can be a pain, er, next to impossible, to get all the snow off because of the roof rack. I figure as long as no big chunks of snow or ice are on the roof the little but i missed will just blow off.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                    I drive a SUV and it can be a pain, er, next to impossible, to get all the snow off because of the roof rack. I figure as long as no big chunks of snow or ice are on the roof the little but i missed will just blow off.
                    That's generally the approach I take too. I sweep around the roof rack, but anything in there is pretty well stuck thanks to the rack and would probably fly off worse if I tried to dislodge it at home.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Not for nothing but...

There is NO excuse for a car/SUV/flying carpet to not have all snow, etc., removed from it.

I'm 5ft ½ inch tall, and when I had my Explorer, I got all the snow off, even if it meant opening the doors and standing inside my truck to be able to reach.

...just sayin'...
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                        ...just sayin'...
                        Fair enough, Bella. Fair enough.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                          flying carpet
                          *pouting*

I wish *I* had a flying carpet.

Don't think it's very practical during WI winters, though.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                          X