This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got to use my new horn!

I was driving-up a road that starts-out at 4-lanes. The left and right hand turn lanes turn onto the highway north & south, so that leaves 2-lanes going straight. The right lane continues, but the left lane merges after several-hundred feet.

Going 40, I was following the car in front of me; we were all pretty-much one car length behind each-other and moving nicely, already having merged into the right lane. Then, some TWAT in a nice black car ZOOOOMS up beside me in the left lane. We're getting to where the left lane ends and this person obviously intended to shove his way into a space that didn't exist between me and the car in front of me. They pretty much bulled their way in, so I had to hit the brake and drop back. I laid on my horn for a good 10-seconds...

Did I mention I just bought a new horn? A 132 decibel horn? (Level between a pneumatic riveter and a jet take-off)

The driver jumped so high I think their head hit the roof.

Didn't keep them from cutting-off oncoming traffic to make a left-hand turn a couple blocks down the road though...

They're lucky I didn't spend the $40 for the truck air horn!
    Last edited by LillFilly; 05-03-2010, 02:54 AM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I always hope that that kind of person has a miserable life, for all of the bad karma s/he is racking up.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

I once met a car with a locomotive horn. Scared the # out of me, seeing as there were no tracks nearby.

Ever since, I've been tempted to try to get one, but 1) they're probably not legal, or at least finding one that isn't stolen would be too difficult, and 2) it would then be too tempting to blow the thing for any or no reason.
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I need a horn like that. Bleu's horn sounds like a rubber ducky getting squashed by a steamroller; probably why using it never works.

Comment

WICKED.

Hmmm......Claudia-Jeep needs new horns....*Plots*
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I made sure it's legal, it just depends how big a device will fit under the hood; it's kinda shaped like a disk; about the size of a CD. The airhorns of course are horn-shaped, maybe 6-inches long and need to be mounted differently. You also need to make sure the power it needs isn't too much.

It's a high-pitched kind of loud; I want something deeper, like a roar, or explosion, or a recordable voice yelling "HERE'S YOUR SIGN!"
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
              Ever since, I've been tempted to try to get one, but 1) they're probably not legal, or at least finding one that isn't stolen would be too difficult, and 2) it would then be too tempting to blow the thing for any or no reason.
              Not to mention, 3) They will drain a 100 gallon air tank in seconds. Those things use a lot of air.

I remember reading a posting in M.T.R.A from one locomotive engineer. He was idling out in the middle of nowhere, sitting in the cab eating his lunch, and saw someone sneeking up the ladder with a wrench in his hand, obviously thinking the locomotive was unoccupied. He waited until the erstwhile thief was right in front of the horn, and then he pulled the cord...

He's not joking about the hard-to-find part, either. The horn manufacturer won't sell to you if you're not a railroad, and the scrappers (Naporano, etc.) won't sell to you, period.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                or at least finding one that isn't stolen would be too difficult

nope just pricey

and a bit cheaper here

why yes I am amazingly bored-why do you ask?
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Thanks for those links.... I'll save them in case someday I have too much money and a desire to fill my trunk with an air tank
                  Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    nope just pricey
                    I tell you what, though, I spent some time just now reading through their forum, and some of those guys posting there are just plain @$$holes. Come on, they get their jollies sneaking up behind people and blasting them with 160+ dB, and then get all pissy when someone pulls a knife on them or tries to strangle them, and talk big about how if they were old enough to carry concealed they'd have shot the guy... There's one immature jerk who brags that he blows his horns every time he passes one construction site, and has been requested by the supervisor of that site to lay off, and his response is about what you'd expect from an immature jerk: "HORN ON!" Another one writes about how his buddy is being charged with assault because he blared his horns at a group of girl scouts and one of them had an asthma attack. I feel unclean having even read some of their rantings. I get the feeling we'll be reading about them in this forum sooner or later.

So if you do go about getting a train horn on your personal vehicle, please use it responsibly, OK? Horns are for warning other drivers or pedestrians of danger; they are not for pranking people, telling other drivers that they are idiots (which they likely are, but that doesn't matter), or, God forbid, as a substitute for a doorbell. Thanks...

Comment

I will say, the guys that made these videos are complete and total assholes.

But I still cracked up.

http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php

Comment

Working...
                      X