This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot tailgater gets schooled

So I'm taking my kid to her dance lessons Monday afternoon and I'm going through this narrow section of road that curves under an ancient concrete railroad bridge and winds through an overgrown swampy area where there is a creek. Chick on my ass is not exactly tailgating per se, but she is waaay too close.

I was speeding just a tad...and when I say speeding I mean I was going between thirty and thirty five...the speed limit under the bridge is 25, and in all honestly, I was slowing down a tad (it is a tight squeeze through the concrete support and I drive a van). Well, Ass Chick decided how dare I slow down and decides to hit her accelerator just as I rounded the corner and an old guy with a fishing pole over his shoulder steps right the fuck out in front of my van.

Saint Christopher his own damn self was on the road Monday, okay? Somehow, I managed not to hit the old guy. I hit the brakes and came to a very rapid stop, fully expecting to get rear ended. Old guy gets an "oh shit" look on his face and jumps out of the way, and the chick behind me somehow, someway, managed to not hit me. She came to within an inch of my bumper, but she didn't hit me. Girlfriend left most of her tires and her brake shoes all over that road.

And I'm not entirely sure she didn't scream. I saw her face in the rear view and if she didn't crap her upholstery, I'm Marlene Dietrich.

She was behind me for another half a mile or so, and guess what? She was well adn truly off my bumper for the entire time, let me tell you. A semi would have had no trouble getting between us at that point.

Maybe it will make her think a bit for a week. Maybe.

Tell you what, next time I go through that squeeze, I will be putting along at twenty five. No doubt there. And I bet from now on, Pops remembers to look before crossing.
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 05-20-2010, 03:14 AM.

I can't remember the exact quote, nor who gets the credit, but it goes something like this:

"When people see a truly horrific car accident, it makes them slow down and become safe and responsible drivers... for about 4 or 5 blocks."
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I know, on one hand, it could have been very bad and I would hope we all learned a valuable lesson here. On the other hand, I don't think the chick was all that smart to begin with. Deliberately speeding up when the van in front of you is slowing down on a blind curve sort of constitutes "not very smart" to me.

People who tailgate are not very smart. If they were, they wouldn't do it.

I'm just really glad that I was not going fast. I was able to stop without skidding or anything like that. If she had hit me, she probably would not have hurt us much, like I said I drive a big van and we were no faster than thirty five at the very most. But had I hit the old guy, it would have been terrible.

Comment

Something like that happened to me once. Coming off the highway onto a main street (speed limit 55), I see chick in a Mercedes gaining on my ass. I'm going about 60, and I really should learn not to on this street, because there's a blind hill that drops right into an intersection. A bit my fault for this one. Anyway, I go over the hill and come face-to-ass with a car making a left on that intersection, and I slam on the brakes. Mercedes chick does too, nearly ramming me. I look back and her tires are smoking, the cell phone once on the side of her head gone, probably dropped in the process of grabbing the wheel.
        "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

There are some areas where I've learned to slow down when I am approaching them.

Comment

I got to see some asshole in a big SUV nearly get pwned *several* times tonight. For those who don't know...West Liberty Avenue sucks ass. Seriously, it's supposed to be two lanes each direction during the afternoon rush. But, because of idiots who can't read, plus the people who love to turn left every intersection, you either hit every red light, or have to swap lanes every few blocks. Trust me, it's annoying.

Tonight though, some asshole in a dark green Chevy Suburban, was driving like an ass. He was literally attempting to force other vehicles (up to, and including a bus ) out of his way. Surprisingly, quite a few people didn't put up with that. They either cut him off, or sped up so he couldn't jump ahead of them. I took great delight watching that go on, and also that I could get ahead of him...simply because I drive that road many times at night...and know where things tend to slow down, and can find ways ahead of them.

I'm sure he was pissed because he was all over the place, yet I'd either end up behind him, or in *front* of him at the next light! I'm sure he had great fun in downtown Mt. Lebanon...with all the traffic lights (10 in less than 6 blocks ), the signs with the radar guns, the idiots trying to parallel park, etc. All of which I avoided, by turning off, heading down Bower Hill, Cedar Blvd. Longer, but less stupidity to deal with
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've seen this happen on more than one occasion. I have noticed that most people do NOT tailgate, and a very large sector of other drivers will actually do what you just described. And they will slow way down, as I do, when they get a tailgater (although I did not do this in the story that spawned this post, I was honestly slowing down because I didn't want to hit that squeeze going in the low thirties. You can't lay a playing card shortways between the road and the bridge support there).

But yeah, the idiot will swerve, tailgate, cut people off, drive like a complete jackass for miles and end up behind everyone and totally frustrated at all the assholes on the road.

They never seem to catch on that their own behavior is what is causing all the unhappiness.

Note to douchbags out there: If EVERYONE on the road is an asshole...It probably ain't them that is the asshole. Just sayin'.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                But yeah, the idiot will swerve, tailgate, cut people off, drive like a complete jackass for miles and end up behind everyone and totally frustrated at all the assholes on the road.

They never seem to catch on that their own behavior is what is causing all the unhappiness.
                Even better, are the ones on Route 51. They all try to weave in and out of traffic in an effort to get ahead of everyone else. But, considering I've been riding along that road 30+ years, I know where all the slow spots occur--Maytide & 88, the light at the top of the hill near Baldwin, and the other light at Streets Run. As such, I know when to change lanes, and usually where the traffic stacks up.

Never surprises me with the antics of some people. Usually, it's some douche in a high-powered sports car, a big SUV, etc. They all think that they can 'power' their way around slow traffic, and will attempt to use their cars to intimidate people. I'm sure it annoys the hell out of them that even with all their speeding and lane-changing...I can usually get ahead of them, or even pull up next to them at the light. Yet, has my speed changed? Most of the time, it doesn't. I mean, I'm not doing twice the limit, but I can adapt to changing traffic conditions. Usually, if I see one of those fools, I'll slow down. I don't know about you, but if they're going to do something stupid...I want to give myself plenty of room to avoid any possible carnage.

Also interesting, are some of the idiots on the parkway. I've had people literally blow past me...only to see them end up in the mess around I-279, or the traffic light at 31st Street on 28. Seriously?
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                  I can't remember the exact quote, nor who gets the credit, but it goes something like this:

"When people see a truly horrific car accident, it makes them slow down and become safe and responsible drivers... for about 4 or 5 blocks."
                  No it makes them all slow down and rubberneck so that even though the wreck is on the opposite side of the freeway, the other side gets blocked as well. These a**holes have just spent half an hour of their life that they will never get back, they still nearly come to a halt to look at a wrecked car. If you are really that interested in bent metal, go spend an afternoon at the wreckers yard and see lots of them all together.

Comment

It is always nice driving in Southern states when going to see my relative in FL when we live in OH, this is because my dad was speeding along and noticed an unmarked police car on the interstate ahead of us, my dad's a cop so the 3 antennas were a dead give away and he somehow noticed the deck lights from a distance, guess you just have to know what to look for

Then I asked my dad how long he figured till the guy who started tailgating the cop realized his mistake, the answer. The amount of time it took for said cop to let Idiot pass him and then turn on his lights.
                    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth jodevizes View Post
                      If you are really that interested in bent metal, go spend an afternoon at the wreckers yard and see lots of them all together.
                      Ah, but the thrill of maybe, just maybe being able to catch a glimpse at some red liqid oozing from the wreck, the exhiliaration of severed body parts... you won't see many of these at the wrecker's yard.
                      I still miss my ex.
                      But my aim is getting better.

Comment

Back when I was working in the old building, I had to drive this narrow twisty road to get there. One morning when I was going to work, it was raining, which made the road conditions that much worse.

Some jackass in a pickup truck was riding my ass. Just when I was really starting to get annoyed, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him sliding sideways. Unfortunately, he was able to recover from it. At least he learned, for a little while. He stayed off my tail until I got to my destination.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                        X