X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost died today...

Yeah....

This is a self-sighting.

AdamAnt316 and I were heading back from Kentucky today (currently at a Motel 6 in Pennsylvania) and nearly got into a bad accident on I-68 eastbound that would have been entirely my fault. We were driving AdamAnt316's car, which is a 2 door civic. It's got a much bigger blind spot than my car does, and I went to switch lanes when an SUV appeared from the blind spot which I had obviously not adequately checked. Then I overcorrected and the car started fishtailing violently back and forth. We damn near spun out but after at least half a dozen swings back and forth I was able to get the car back under control without hitting any other cars (luckily there was a comfortable gap between us and the traffic behind us), the concrete wall, or spinning out or rolling over, but only just. I pulled off at the next exit for a little breather after that.

Yeah.....that was by far my worst near miss in over a decade of driving experience.

And it wasn't even the only close-call this trip. The first day driving TO kentucky, we were behind a Pepsi truck that didnt look quite right. It had two roll up doors on the back that looked uneven. Just as we were trying to figure out why, we discovered why: the left door had not been latched and was resting on a wooden pallet, which abruptly slid out of the truck and landed on the road right in front of us. I had to execute a rapid lane change to avoid it (luckily no one was on the left lane at the time).

Then, the second day, on an unfamiliar interstate (I think it was 68 again) there was an abrupt lane drop that nearly resulted in us getting flattened by a garbage truck.

One more day of driving left....hopefully incident free.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

People ask me why I avoid Interstates at all costs if I can. I'm sorry, but they scare the bejeebus out of me, for reasons that you just told about in your post!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
    X