This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "They're just kids.."

one of Lupo's threads made me think of this that happened a while ago.

We were going to one of the big stores out of town and hubby was reversing the car into a tight space on the end of the row. This happened when he was about halfway in the space.

Its just spitting with rain and a mother and about three young kids have come out of the store, they sprint down in-between the side of a hubby's car and the car next to us whilst the mother is too busy squealing "its raining... aggh!" to actually watch where they are going.

At this point one of the kids, without even looking, steps back from the side of their car, into the space we are reversing into and opens the rear door of the car! They can't be more than about 6 inches from the bumper of hubby's car and I scream at him "STOP!" (by which time it actually leaves my mouth of course he's already slammed on the breaks but I am a terrible back-seat driver in those sorts of situations).

I think we were less than a finger width from hitting the kid.

When we've actually fully parked hubby puts down his window and says "please be careful, I barely avoided him!" (which is very polite for him, he doesn't do too well with idiots)

The mother turns round and says "But its raining! He could have got wet!!"

I usually stay out of such discussions (and usually try to avoid him having them to be honest since he doesn't stay particularly calm!) but I couldn't let that be and ended up saying "Yes, and if hubby didn't have lightning reactions he could have been dead!"

She still turns round and says "So! Its raining! They're just kids!"

It certainly felt like it had been less than a few seconds from them appearing in the door of the shop to being nearly underneath hubby's bumper!
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

A little water never hurt anyone. (usually). At least rain wouldn't in any case.

A little car bumper on the other hand.... *sigh*

Comment

And now the news: Rain won't make you melt! Scientists are stunned. More at eleven.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
        And now the news: Rain won't make you melt! Scientists are stunned. More at eleven.

Sure?

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
          The mother turns round and says "But its raining! He could have got wet!!"
          I sincerely hope this is a coincidence, but this is not the first time I've heard that phrase (or something disturbingly similar to it). Is a little rain really that dreadful? Are we allergic to any non-bottled water now? Are our clothes so expensive that they must be dry-cleaned only and never have any contact with regular H2O? Is it because of hair dye? Tanning lotion? Some weird diet rule?

I just don't get it. It's WATER, not hydrofluoric acid!

My kid (18 months old) likes the rain, which is great since we live in Oregon. He'll stand on the sidewalk, stare up at the clouds, and grin at the falling rain. If a toddler can survive THAT, an older kid should be able to make it from the store to the car without suffering some unnamed hydrological trauma.

I think that mother needs to reevaluate her priorities. "Avoid Moving Vehicle" should take precedence over "Avoid Tiny Drops of Water."
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
            Clearly you don't understand the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post

You know, I said this EXACT PHRASE to my kid yesterday.

I'm wondering how "they could have gotten wet" is even a relevant comment to make in such a situation. Tell you want else could have gotten them wet: blood.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                "So! Its raining! They're just kids!"
                Sooo...they're expendable? It's okay that they go squishy under tires, lest you become slightly damp? I suppose you can always make more, but still....*sigh* Priorities, lady, priorities.

Comment

"Lady, he's ALREADY wet! Do you want him wet-alive or wet-dead is the only real question here!"
                  I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    I love that site.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      Great site!! When my Integrated Lab Studies instructor was teaching us about Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS,) she threw us a curve ball by including a MSDS about "Dihydrogen Monoxide" in an assignment we had to do
                      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X