This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Observation on New England Drivers

So the family and I took our big New England vacation this past week. We set out early Tuesday morning heading up for Rhode Island, and finished up late Friday afternoon driving back down from Vermont. Overall not much suck to report, thank goodness, and the occasional spot of serendipity and awesome service, but I thought I'd comment here on my observations of New England drivers in general.

Boston traffic aside (because there's really nothing like competing with Boston traffic in New England), the worst drivers we encountered were on the roads of Vermont. However, they were not all Vermont drivers. Oh no.

Our trip through Vermont was mostly punctuated by slowpokes and speed demons. For every speedy Vermont driver we encountered, tailgating us in frustration until they could finally pass, we also encountered a Vermont-plated slowpoke out for a Sunday drive on a sunny Friday morning. The worst of the slowpokes was probably this one guy in a florist's car (ad decals in the window, vanity plates that corresponded to the business) who toddled along at a good ten miles below the posted speed limit. He kept just enough speed on when there were passing lanes that we didn't think we could safely pass him without breaking the speed limit a few times over, yet whenever there was a solid double yellow (no passing at all) and oncoming traffic, he drifted over a tiny bit toward the shoulder and slowed down as if inviting us to just pass him already. We finally escaped him when we needed to turn onto a different highway to head south while he was sticking to local roads.

But worse than that were the speed demons on 91 south through Vermont. There was one guy in a convertible from Massachusetts who seemed to think he was in a race or something, zipping past at almost 90mph when I was cruising along at 70 (5 over the limit, and right in line with surrounding traffic). That guy took the prize, but all the other crazy speeders? Right from our home state of Connecticut. Even the speedy Vermont cars didn't hold a candle to this trio of CT drivers that just had to zip past me and played all aggressive in a construction zone until things opened up enough for them to get by. Seems even on vacation, I can't get away from the crazies from our state.

I can't wait until we move in December and can trade in our CT plates for a NY set.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
    The worst of the slowpokes was probably this one guy...who toddled along at a good ten miles below the posted speed limit...He kept just enough speed on when there were passing lanes that we didn't think we could safely pass...
    This isn't just in Vermont. I live in MA, and I get this all the time, usually during my evening commute (20 miles leaves plenty of room for idiocy.)

I've never understood the mindset of 'Oh, they can pass me, better speed up!' Of course, here they don't slow down gently. As soon as the double yellow is back they slam on the brakes until they're back down to 'cruising' speed. I've been stuck behind people holding steady by as much as 25 mph below the speed limit.

Comment

Good grief, Gerrinson. Thank goodness I haven't run into that yet.

Just like speeding up when passing zones come up, I don't understand going slow but making like you're trying to encourage someone to pass when there's a double-yellow (not supposed to pass anyway) and clearly visible oncoming traffic. And then gesturing from the driver's seat or continuing said behavior like you can't possibly understand why they're not taking that oh-so-generous opening you're leaving.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

I have never understood the mentality of drivers who crawl along under the limit, but the minute the lanes become passing-capable, they lead foot it. Are they AFRAID of being passed or something?

That said - my fiance's ex-wife's Mother is from Mass, and I seriously do not know how the woman got her driver's license, as she can NOT back up! Honestly - she will actually go home instead of to the store she wants to shop at if she can't find a parking spot that she can just drive out of straight. If there's only spots available where she has to parallel park, or will have to back out of once she's parked, she leaves. When she went house-shopping, the only stipulation she gave to the realtor was that the driveway have a circular drive so she could just drive around in a circle and never have to back out of it.
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Wow, DeltaSierra. Just, wow.

Backing up was the very first item on the driving exam in NY when I got my license, mostly because the DMV had no spaces you could just drive out of without backing into them in the first place. So most people just drive into the space, then back out with the instructor when it's test time.

How can you never learn to back up?

Comment

Your mention of Boston brought back memories...

I went to a WorldCon there in 1989 (World Science Fiction con for those who might not know) and I quickly realized their attitude was "take no prisoners." Crossing the street was an adventure...you'd sure as hell better be up on the sidewalk when the light changed, because the second that green light came on, they were off like it was Nascar.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
              ... and played all aggressive in a construction zone until things opened up enough for them to get by.
              One thing I always love seeing on the few highways I have to deal with are the words "Construction Zone: Fines are DOUBLED when workers are present". Fortunately, that gets most of the people with insufficiently effective phallus replacements to slow the hell down, even when the workers aren't there. I guess it occurred to them that those places are perfect speed traps ^_^
              Last edited by EricKei; 07-30-2011, 12:26 AM. Reason: redundant department of redundancy department
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Your mention of Boston brought back memories... ...second that green light came on, they were off like it was Nascar.
                Looks like things haven't changed much since 1982. I was in 10th grade at the time, and we did a school trip to the Boston area (Brookline, to be exact). As we were proceeding along on one main street, we passed a flashing green light, which I'd never seen before, nor since.

I happened to be sitting next to the vice-principal in the bus, and I asked him, "I know that flashing red means stop and proceed when clear, and flashing yellow is proceed with caution, but what in the world is flashing green supposed to mean?"

He said, "Proceed with reckless abandon."

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                  I happened to be sitting next to the vice-principal in the bus, and I asked him, "I know that flashing red means stop and proceed when clear, and flashing yellow is proceed with caution, but what in the world is flashing green supposed to mean?"
                  What does flashing green mean?
                  In Toronto (and most places), it means "oncoming traffic has red light - left turners can go".
                  In Vancouver, it means "demand-operated pedestrian crossing".
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    What does flashing green mean?
                    Around here it means the green light is on the blink. Other than a failing green light, I have never encountered a flashing green light. I've seen flashing red or yellow, but not green.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      As we were proceeding along on one main street, we passed a flashing green light, which I'd never seen before, nor since.

Oh yeah, you reminded me. On our vacation, we saw flashing green lights in Salem, MA while driving down one main road. We couldn't figure out what they meant either.

So...does anyone from Massachusetts want to clue us in?

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        Around here it means the green light is on the blink.
                        You mean it isn't a pervert in a trench coat up there flashing everybody with his greenie?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Could just mean that the light is dying. Or that it's just otherwise not functioning properly. That's the only time I ever see it up here in Maine.
                          I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            You mean it isn't a pervert in a trench coat up there flashing everybody with his greenie?
                            A greenie is something I give my dog to chew on.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's similar to a flashing yellow really. It's used at places like a dedicated pedestrian crossings with a button-operated light or at fire stations where a flashing signal can turn into a regular red signal if a fire engine needs to pull out into traffic.

I think they're being phased out in favor of flashing yellows since they mean the same thing and more people are familiar with flashing yellows.
                              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X