This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I made a boo-boo

I'm still not sure if I did anything wrong here since the situation was a little weird, but here goes...

I had to take my mother to work this morning...no road work was happening on the main road that goes through town. On my way back home, I was on that road again about 10 minutes later. I pass a long line of dump trucks and water trucks and I see a regular car with its hazards blinking on the other side of the road. No accident or anything - looked like someone just had to stop and maybe use a phone or something. No opposing traffic driving slowly in my lane. No pretty orange signs alerting me to road work. No similarly pretty cones in the road. No flaggers.

Oh, but wait! A wild flagger appears! But not where I think he'd be - rather than be in the middle of the road, he's on the very edge of the road in the other lane with his sign kinda down at his side rather than in front of him where drivers could really see it, and right beside him is a road work sign (also on the other side of the road).

I did not see this guy until I was already halfway past him, and I feared if I slammed on my breaks (since the "stop" side of his sign was facing my way), someone would rear-end me. No flagger a few yards before this guy on my side of the road telling me to stop either.

I've just never seen a work zone with so little notice of its presence. I worry either my mother or I will get pulled over (since we share a car) and ticketed because I did this. Did I do wrong here when I honestly did not even see this guy because my view of him was obstructed by a fleet of bloody trucks? I think I have to call myself out as a sucky driver in any case.

You did nothing wrong. The fault is with the construction crew that failed to post proper signage and failed to have properly posted signal people..
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

It almost sounds as if they were just starting to get set up and weren't actually starting to flag people yet.

Anyways, since there wasn't any kind of sign, you really can't get in trouble for it.

Comment

I figured they'd just arrived once I started thinking a bit more rationally, but I feel better knowing I didn't do anything I shouldn't have.

Comment

Quoth Hawaiian Eskimo View Post
          It almost sounds as if they were just starting to get set up and weren't actually starting to flag people yet.

Anyways, since there wasn't any kind of sign, you really can't get in trouble for it.
          This. You're probably good. Most flaggers are good about doing what they're supposed to since their coworkers' lives are on the line in this case. If the sign's up and the flagger's readily visible, you'd have to stop, but you'd have warning. If there were no signs, and if the trucks and everything were all lined up neatly, they were probably just barely setting up.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Dammit, I almost did it again today - there was a flagger on the edge of the road near my house. I did actually see him and had to hit the brakes a little harder than I'd have liked, but there were no signs whatsoever alerting me to his presence. They may have been a bit further up the road, but still...this is not the shit I need when I got two hours of sleep.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
              ...this is not the shit I need when I got two hours of sleep.
              In all seriousness, you shouldn't have been behind the wheel. Recent studies have proved that being sleep deprived affects your reflexes & decision making in much the same way as being over the legal alcohol limit.

If it happens again, call in sick or take public transport. You're not just putting your own life at risk.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
              X