This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Driving Suck

I was reminded of this hellish story of my own driving this morning.

<bg> Until I bought my car, I was borrowing my dad's SUV. It was great little gas guzzling pos. It hadn't had a tire change in five years, it had a giant crack in the windshield and two years ago (when this story happened), the four wheel drive went out on it, but it was a vehicle! </bg>

Two years ago in Nutmeg land, we were having a really, really bad winter. It snowing regularly and it was hell for me, because I came from PA where we got snow...occasionaly.

This particular day, I'm driving home from work and the snow had piled up about six inches and counting. I'm at a dead stop at a red light. The light turns green and I'm turning left. Remember the part about the SUV having bad tires and no four wheel drive? I drifted right as I was turning left. I almost made friends with a light pole. I'm totally calm, because, honestly, this was not the first time that I'd drifted in that car (don't get me started on handling it in the rain). I felt bad for the lady at the red light watching me with this look of horror .

I got home and pitched a bit of a fit. Sadly, my father just thought I was being dramatic.

I didn't hit anything, thank goodness, but man oh man was I terrified to drive that SUV again.

So did you get the tires changed?

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure what happened to the SUV. When I got my car, dad put it in storage. I would have been pleased to put tires on it myself, but, at the time, I was working part time, minimum wage and I was in college.

Comment

Rrrgh. Hubby and I got into a minor fender bender once because we borrowed his parents' car (hubby's car at the time would not have survived the three-hour drive to my mother's house). We were on a snowy highway and slowed down behind an eighteen-wheeler, and spun out. Turned out the car didn't have snow tires on. I think that's still the only time I've been really, really angry at my inlaws.

If we'd been in hubby's little junker, we may not have made it very far, but we would have made it there safely, dammit.

I think Quebec is the only province where it's illegal to not have snow tires on in the winter. Correct me if I'm wrong. I wish we had that law here.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
          I think Quebec is the only province where it's illegal to not have snow tires on in the winter. Correct me if I'm wrong. I wish we had that law here.
          Some areas of BC as well. In Vancouver, you're OK, but when you get into the mountains (i.e. on your way east to Alberta), you have to have them.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I think they're working on it here in Newfoundland. Too many people don't bother to put snow tires on until after the first storm. I almost got run over one day because of that. I was walking home from work, on the side of the road instead of the sidewalk since you couldn't walk on the sidewalk. I looked up, saw a SUV sliding towards me and stepped 2 steps to the left to avoid getting hit. They didn't even hit their horn. Just after it passed me it read ended a car waiting at the light. Yep I bet they regret not having their winter tires on yet at that moment.

Comment

Some areas of the US it is snow tires or chains. I have a nice set of chains, and we do all season tires though we have a set of snow tires for the jetta.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                Some areas of the US it is snow tires or chains. I have a nice set of chains, and we do all season tires though we have a set of snow tires for the jetta.
                I don't think we're required, but I've only been in CT for three years.

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                  I think they're working on it here in Newfoundland. Too many people don't bother to put snow tires on until after the first storm. I almost got run over one day because of that. I was walking home from work, on the side of the road instead of the sidewalk since you couldn't walk on the sidewalk. I looked up, saw a SUV sliding towards me and stepped 2 steps to the left to avoid getting hit. They didn't even hit their horn. Just after it passed me it read ended a car waiting at the light. Yep I bet they regret not having their winter tires on yet at that moment.
                  Convenient for the driver they hit that there was a witness on the scene.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
                    I don't think we're required, but I've only been in CT for three years.
                    No, but we travel pretty much anywhere by vehicle - if we go to that convention in Texas next year I will be driving there and Rob will be flying, he has limited vacation time and I am unemployed scum

I have to admit, I was croggled by the beautiful sunny day and green environs of Donner Pass this past Feb ... last time I drove to California back in 1989 it had at least snowed there over the winter.

[I come from the Buffalo snow belt, I have kept chains in my car since I was 16, along with segments of grating, an entrenching tool and a bag of sand.]
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I have never changed to snow tires here in Iowa. I will say, though, there is a prevalence of four wheel drive vehicles here. I just wish people realized four wheel drive does not equal four wheel stop!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Just out of curiosity, Wooden, what reminded you of this? You folks haven't had snow already over there have you?!

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        I have kept chains in my car since I was 16, along with segments of grating, an entrenching tool and a bag of sand.]
                        Ditto on all, but we just got a set of traction ramps last year and they are TOTALLY the bomb. Ours are big massive steel things, but I think they make heavy duty plastic ones too.

Comment

No, thank goodness! It's barely getting cool up here.

This is going to sound really weird, but I was driving to work in my own car, turning a corner and the memory just popped up. It could be because they FINALLY got us lights on that road. Who knows?

Comment

i hope they don't make it mandatory for snow tires in ontario. i've driven on all-seasons exlusivly and havent been in any accidents or close calls.
                            be it all seasons or winter tires, i find (in my area) people just drive too damn fast for the weather. if the road is slush stop going 70 in a 50. *sighs*
                            Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Quoth siead_lietrathua View Post
                              be it all seasons or winter tires, i find (in my area) people just drive too damn fast for the weather. if the road is slush stop going 70 in a 50. *sighs*
                              I find the opposite to be true in my area. First hint of any kind of troublesome weather and the roads deadlock. Worse during the rain than snow. You would think it's raining cute puppies with leukemia with the way people tread. It's my understanding that it is possible to go more than five miles per hour when it's raining. But maybe I'm wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X