Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one to add. Those idiots who wait until they're in the middle of a turn to use the blinker. Bonus points if they gave no hint that they were going to turn (slowing down, getting close to the side of the road) and you had to wait on them thinking they were going straight.
    Last edited by Eevie; 03-20-2013, 06:08 AM.
    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
      numbnuts wanting a wheelie will be hanging out of their car window demanding the rider 'drop a mono, maaaate!' Obligatory cigarette and stubby in hand.
      lol! Nice imagery! And thanks for the language lesson, makes sense now.

Comment

speaking of hanging out the window, we saw that when we were leaving the dog park one day. car going down the road with some of the passengers standing up inside the car so they could stick their torsos out of the window and scream and yell to let everyone know how stupid they were.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          Oh and another peeve - People who tailgate and flash their lights like a madman to say "get out of my way!!!!!!" when you're clearly trying to pass someone already.
          How about people who, when you signal that you want to change lanes, flash their high beams as if to say "Don't you dare get into my way!". Of course, these people don't know (or don't care) that among a certain group of drivers, flashing your high beams at someone who's signaling to pull in front of you means "Go ahead, the space is clear". Of course, turning your low beams off and then on again is the preferred signal, but with DRLs that won't work on some vehicles. Did I mention that the group of drivers I'm referring to tend to drive rather large vehicles, so Mr. Flashy McAggressive is risking his signal being interpreted in the opposite fashion than what he's trying to say, with the chance of a collision that'll squash him like a bug? After all, when a car and an 18 wheeler try to occupy the same piece of pavement, the trucker walks away from the wreck.

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
          those who "have" to pull up into the crosswalk when at a red light, thus making it necessary for pedestrians to go into the street a bit to get around them.
          Actually, it's not necessary for pedestrians to go into the street to get around these asshats - you're forgetting about the third dimension. Sooner or later, one of these drivers will meet a pedestrian with the attitude "I'll walk wherever I damn well want", who'll use the crosswalk even if it means hopping up and walking across the hood. Hope they've got gravel caught in the treads of their shoes.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            How about people who, when you signal that you want to change lanes, flash their high beams as if to say "Don't you dare get into my way!". Of course, these people don't know (or don't care) that among a certain group of drivers, flashing your high beams at someone who's signaling to pull in front of you means "Go ahead, the space is clear".
            To be honest, I've only ever known a quick flash of the lights to be either, "All Clear, come on over" if your in front of them, or, "Thanks for letting me over" you're behind them. Never heard the "Get outta my way" bit until this board.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              -people who pull a u-turn in a no u-turn zone. News flash dumbasses, the sign is there for a reason! (Double fail if there is a lane further up or down the road and they don't use it)
              One particular intersection near where I used to live is really notorious for this -- Southbound, there's a 2-lane "left turn only and no-U-turn OR ELSE" setup, where pulling an illegal U-turn would get you to the interstate quite easily...while ramming into the people who are coming OFF of the sidestreet you're supposed to be turning left on to...naturally, a large number of people do just that. The cops would make plenty of money if they just had a unit sit there all day ~_~...

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Never heard the "Get outta my way" bit until this board.
              Same here.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                To be honest, I've only ever known a quick flash of the lights to be either, "All Clear, come on over" if your in front of them, or, "Thanks for letting me over" you're behind them. Never heard the "Get outta my way" bit until this board.
                That's what I thought the light flashing meant, not "Get outta my way."

Comment

I've seen the flash of lights used both ways. My thought on the "get out of my way," is unless it's got other emergency lights going (like the volunteer fire departments in our area have special red lights for their normal vehicles, volunteer deputies have blue and no they aren't allowed to pull anyone over), then they can suck my tailpipe. I am not going to "get over" on a two lane road with no shoulder, just so you can do 90 in a 35, because you feel you are a very special snowflake.

In fact, that's the only place I see the flashing of "get over." Farking two lane roads, low speed limits and plenty of one lane bridges.

I have also seen the flash of headlights saying there is a cop ahead. Usually, that's done by oncoming traffic.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                    I've seen the flash of lights used both ways. My thought on the "get out of my way," is unless it's got other emergency lights going (like the volunteer fire departments in our area have special red lights for their normal vehicles, volunteer deputies have blue and no they aren't allowed to pull anyone over), then they can suck my tailpipe. I am not going to "get over" on a two lane road with no shoulder, just so you can do 90 in a 35, because you feel you are a very special snowflake.

In fact, that's the only place I see the flashing of "get over." Farking two lane roads, low speed limits and plenty of one lane bridges.

I have also seen the flash of headlights saying there is a cop ahead. Usually, that's done by oncoming traffic.
                    Yeah, I've gotten the "you're going too slow, GTFO of my way" flash once or twice. My response has always been to keep cruising at the same speed, or slow down. Because fuck you, find your own way through traffic.

I've also seen the "cop ahead, look out" flash from oncoming lanes, too. Always appreciate it, and reciprocate where I can.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

They do the light flashing in Alaska but it usually means there is a moose in the road up ahead. Here, it's used for semis to tell them they are clear to get over. In my many miles driving I've had one person flash their lights to try and get me to move and that was driving in Cali, I had no place to go (already speeding/flow of traffic). If I'm not driving 35 in a 65 zone in the left lane then I'll get over when I can. I usually stick to the right lane anyway.

Comment

flashing your high beams at someone who's signaling to pull in front of you means "Go ahead, the space is clear".
                        That's what I use them for - letting truckers know it's clear to get in front of me. And for almost the same reason. I have DRL (tho I still run my headlights)*. But… I also have automatic headlights too; so sometimes even if I wanted to, I couldn't turn my lights off.

* as far as i care it's just another safety bonus for my insurance, cos the insurance company doesn't count "I always use my headlights" when they compute the premium.

Comment

I recently took a 4000 mile road trip from one corner of the contiguous United States to the opposite corner, with side trips to three cities that were only sort of on my way. I could write a novel about the idiot drivers I encountered. Some of the more memorable ones were:

-Southbound I-5, Tejon Pass. I was managing to cruise along a few mph above the speed limit, in the far left lane passing a wall of traffic. A huge pick up truck came barreling up behind me flashing his lights, like I was supposed to somehow push the other drivers out of my way to merge to the right. I couldn't speed up, as my car was already going as fast as it could (near the top of the pass), and there was simply no space large enough for me to move over. I moved over when I could, and he flipped me off for my effort.

-I-10 Eastbound in Louisiana; the chunk that's pretty much all elevated over the bayous. The speed limit is low and this was during night time hours. The moron who tailgated me for at least 50 miles with his high beams on. I was going the speed limit, and he could have passed me, but he chose to do that instead.

-I-20 eastbound through Alabama, near the Georgia border: It was raining pretty hard. Idiot was weaving in and out of traffic. Thank goodness that I and everybody else on the road were paying attention. He whipped out from behind me, passed me, cut off the car in front of me, then cut off another car in the left lane. Unfortunately, he didn't have enough space and both he and the car he cut off went into the median. Somehow or another (this was going by fast, so I can't quite figure out how it happened) the idiot driver managed to get airborne and smashed into the "uphill" part of the grassy median on the opposite side.

There were many, many others, but those are the three I remember the most.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

Actually, it's not necessary for pedestrians to go into the street to get around these asshats - you're forgetting about the third dimension. Sooner or later, one of these drivers will meet a pedestrian with the attitude "I'll walk wherever I damn well want", who'll use the crosswalk even if it means hopping up and walking across the hood. Hope they've got gravel caught in the treads of their shoes.
                            I have done this a few times when i used to work in the CBD. mostly taxis..
                            The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

I pretty much agree with all of these driving hatreds.

Dealt with one of my parking hatreds today. Idiot next to me parked so badly that I couldn't get into my driver-side door; I had to get in through the passenger door and slide over (at my age and lack of dexterity, was surprised that I was able to do so!). See attached pic for (lousy) illustration (my car's the blue rectangle, idiot's car is the green one).

Seriously, is it that farking difficult to park your car in between the clearly painted space divider lines?! I manage it every time, why couldn't they?
                              Attached Files
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                                Seriously, is it that farking difficult to park your car in between the clearly painted space divider lines?! I manage it every time, why couldn't they?
                                This is one of my pet peeves, too. There's a woman in my condo complex who seems to have a really hard time with this concept, although she's usually not angled like the car in your picture; she's usually parallel with the lines but not in one spot. (I was quite shocked today though when I saw her perfectly centered in her spot.) People who park like that are part of the reason I'm willing to park a little further back in parking lots so that I don't have to worry about people parking too close next to my driver's side. (I also do it to lessen the chances of having some huge SUV parked next to me so that I can't see if anything's coming when I go to back out and also because I figure that since I have two good legs, I should use them.)

Comment

Working...
                                X