This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I'm on a pension!

I get that being on a pension means being on a budget. I also get that it's not easy to pay for things. I will also accept being asked if I will give a discount for pensioners.

What I won't accept is once being told that we don't provide discounts, being told I'm being one of the following: unfair, asshole, rip-off.

I got that in one sentence today.

SC: "I'm on a pension, do you do any discounts for that?"
    Me: "Sorry, but I keep the prices as low as I can so everyone benefits. It's not feasible for me to further discount my work."
    SC: "That is such bullshit. It's so unfair that you would be such an asshole and rip me off like that!"

At that point, I then went in to mental "uh-huh" mode. Basically, that's repeat what I stated and try to get payment.

Don't get me wrong, if it was a large value job, then I would possibly consider discounting, if they were generally nice throughout the time I was there. But hell if I am discounting a $100 job and losing money, especially when this particular customer took pride in following me EVERYWHERE and watching everything, including what I was doing out in my vehicle.
    Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

i understand. i remember reading a PFB letter about that recently - about "you should have senior discounts" etc.

and it got me thinking about the retail jobs I've had. Of all of them... only ONE place offered a senior discount. On Tuesdays, seniors could get a free hotdog. I don't remember many people lining up for that.

cos sure... places can offer discounts, but it doesn't mean that the discounts are worth having. in the case of that job... I think that was only so they could claim "senior discounts" to draw people in.

Comment

I think my store used to have senior discount days, but it was done away with quietly some time before I signed on. I can see why; a lot of said population here is entitled, rude and will do anything they can to get something for free.

I don't quite understand senior discounts by grocery stores; the profit margin is already pretty thin. Maybe that's why it was quashed; the original idea was thought up as a draw, then someone with a brain found out it was costing the company more than it brought in.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

we still do one, but we make sure it's on non sale stuff only. and then our sneaky marketing guys put the most popular products for seniors on sale at a higher price than their discount would have been. but, it draws them in in droves so i guess it works.
        Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

I get a little tired of people claiming they're "on a fixed income!" SO AM I. Haven't had a raise in, what, four years now? Five? I lost track. That's life.

But it's really kind of funny when they ask about senior discounts over the phone. Most of the time you can't tell from the person's voice that they're elderly, so how would they prove it to me?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When you think about it, everybody's on a fixed income.

So that argument is a pile of poopie.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Yup, the non-senior version of the rant is the old "You're ripping me off!" or "I'm a poor college student!" if you're between 18 and 22.... it doesn't work then either.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Unless you work a commissioned sales job or a tip based job.

But for the most part, you're right, everyone is on a relatively fixed income. Yes, I could go out and get a better paying job (and if the economy would kindly stop doing it's best impression of the Titanic, that would be very easy for me to do), but until such time, my income is not only fixed, but limited... hell, even if I got that better paying job, my income is both still fixed and limited... even Bill Gates and Warren Buffet live on limited income... it is not possible to have an income that isn't limited. It's all about budgeting and prioritizing what you have.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

then someone with a brain found out it was costing the company more than it brought in.
                  That's possible. The company I mentioned with the "free hotdog" stuff? They had already filed Chapter 11 when I started working there. The wiki claims they "recovered" in 93 but then they were taken over 3 years later.

Comment

I'm on a fixed income. It's fixed towards shoes.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      I get a little tired of people claiming they're "on a fixed income!"
                      That was my biggest peeve. I so wished I could get away with the response of:

That's nice. I have to work for my income

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                        I'm on a fixed income. It's fixed towards shoes.
                        Just so you have a firm understanding with your sole supports.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I know it's my own problem. Ramen understands.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

The company I work for took away our yearly bonuses to pay for "family and friend" day (everyn so often it happens) and "senior day" (once a month). Only one I truly don't mind doing is a veteran discount every Tuesday. Each discount is the same. Its our employee discount.

Comment

Currently my only source of income is "fixed" I'm not working, but I did have long term disability leave insurance from my employer, and I'm using it. It's pretty tough to budget on the reduced amount I get now. You know what that means? It means I do without things I used to be able to buy and enjoy (like coffee and salon hair products). And I do so without demanding that merchants cater to me because my income is suddenly reduced. Sure it stinks, but that's life.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X