Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The computer is down, we're doing the best we can.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The computer is down, we're doing the best we can.

This happened a number of years ago.

I worked for a very large, national bank in one of the back shop areas. Generally, things ran pretty well. Unfortunately, we had a rather large issue for a few days. That issue was that the entire mainframe had crashed. For four days. This is a bank that does billions of dollars in transactions every day, so this was not a small problem.

Now, everything runs through the mainframe. The branches have software to do their jobs, but the information still has to come from the mainframe. Of course the bank had offline procedures so that the customers could still access their money, pay their loans and so on and so forth, but these procedures rely on customers actually knowing their account numbers and tellers writing them down accurately and legibly. Things actually ran smoothly for the duration of the outage. The problems started when the mainframe was finally restored and those of us in the back shop areas started reconciling all of the offline transactions.

SC #1: "But my card went through, why is my account overdrawn?" The procedure that was in place was to freeze the card system at the pre-crash balance, so every time a debit transaction went through the system thought you had the same balance. Lets say you started off with $100 in your account and then spent $75. Normally, the system updates with the new balance, but during this time, no matter how much you spent, it still thought you had the original $100. If the customer then spent another $50, it would still go through. No matter how much a customer spent, the system thought they had that same $100. When the system came back up, many customers found themselves seriously overdrawn. We were nice and waived all overdraft fees, but the customer still had to bring their account back to the positive. I can't count the number of people that said "but you shouldn't have approved the transaction!". Um, no. You still have some responsibility to know how much money you have and keep track of what's left after purchases. We paid the debits, now you have to pay us back.

SC #2: "The ATM's are down!" Okay, I do feel a little sympathy for this one. It definitely makes life a lot less convenient. The lines in the branches were long because transactions were taking longer, but we approved thousands of hours of overtime all across the country so we could staff the branches at far higher levels than is normal. The tellers were instructed to simply trust the customer and process all withdrawals within the limits of the last posted balance before the crash. Cue the overdraft whining when the system came back up. Same deal. No overdraft fees, but you have to pay us back for the money we gave you that you didn't really have.

SC #3: "But I made that deposit 2 days ago!" The law still lets us hold check deposits. Refer back to the previous paragraph for cash deposits.

SC #4: "This didn't post correctly, fix it NOW". Again, I realize that this has been a mess. The computers were down for a very long time. I and my colleagues are working 12 hour days, in shifts, around the clock to get this mess sorted out. Please be patient with us. We are as upset about it as you are, especially considering that many of us bank here as well, and we were as affected as you are. Unfortunately, unlike you, we have certain rules about our own accounts that make it even more difficult to fix ours. We can't touch our own accounts or the accounts of people we know. Since we know pretty much everybody else in our department, who's going to fix our accounts? We get it. Trust us. We're working as fast as we can. Keeping us on the phone to yell at us is keeping us away from fixing your accounts!

I'm sure there's more, but those were the ones that came to mind.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

You know, if one writes a check for more than is in his account, it's called fraud. I feel it's the same with debit cards. I do understand people lose track and it's not intentional fraud, but come on--be an adult and be responsible for your account. It's not a magic money-dispensing hole.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      You know, if one writes a check for more than is in his account, it's called fraud. I feel it's the same with debit cards. I do understand people lose track and it's not intentional fraud, but come on--be an adult and be responsible for your account. It's not a magic money-dispensing hole.
      It is not necessarily fraud, people often do have overdrafts on their accounts, whether it is pre-arranged or unarranged, some banks willingly allow a limited overdraft as a courtesy gesture (for example my bank lets me overdraw up to $500, though if I do overdraw I get charged a fee of $10 at the end of the month.
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

SC #1: There is such a thing as a ledger. It's a piece of paper or a book like thing that is often included when you order checks. This is how you keep up with your balance. Then you check that against the bank. If you fail to do a ledger, then it is on your head, not the bank's.. even if the bank's system goes down. Mine is electronic and I back it up daily after I balance the book. (I suck at numbers.. dear deities, I suck at math!)

SC #2: Whatever did the old timers use before ATM's? Oh, right.. a check written to "cash," and done through the teller, of course. And again, mark it in your LEDGER. Money (or lack there of) is your responsibility.

SC #3: If you don't like the bank's policy, then pull your money and go to one that you will. My bank doesn't put holds on checks unless their are over $500. (Federal checks, like SSI, Tax Refunds, and such don't apply.)

SC #4: You call, politely ask them to fix the issue and wait patiently to fix it. Usually, if it's the bank's error, then any overdraft fees caused by the error are refunded. Do try to have the slip that you were handed on hand, however. It makes things go much smoother and faster. (I had an issue where I made a deposit, the bank had a mainframe hiccup and the deposit didn't post. I went into the branch that I made the deposit at, didn't have my slip, but by miracle of chance, remember the transaction number. It was fixed while I was standing there and the overdraft fee it caused was refunded. All because I was POLITE about it.)
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I bet it wasn't an IBM mainframe. Those never break cause IBM is magic.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
            So IBM stands for "It Be Magic"?
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              It does - at least according to the salescritters.

B
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                Is that from that new cartoon series, "My Little Banker: It Be Magic"?
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I worked in a bank in Northern Indiana back in 2000 where our computers crashed a bit. Our mainframe was upstairs. We had this guy who would come in every day right after we opened to check his balance. He lived just down the street and absolutely reeked of alcohol. He would lean in and ask, So I can't see my balance? right after I had told him that the system was down. He would usually do this a couple of times before he got it. I swear I felt slightly buzzed after he left.
                  "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                    *snicker* Actually, I have no idea who made the mainframe. I hesitate to share what we called it because that would be enough information to identify the name of the bank for anybody who's ever worked there, and since it's one of the "big boys", that would be quite a few people.

There's so much redundancy in that system though, it was quite a feat to have it crash so completely and for so long. There was only one time in my tenure there that it went down, but it was only for about 20 minutes in the middle of a Saturday night, so nobody was affected in any way. Well, those of us who were trying to input account corrections got an unexpected 20 minute break, but that was it.
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                    X