• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know Thine Enemy, PARKING GARAGE!

Parking Garages

Oh how I hate ye...

I loathe ye!

I desire the earth to be torn asunder beneath thy fowl foundations and thy fall into the fiery pits below for eternity!

Ye confusing masses of steel and concrete!

Ye brutal collections of inter-connecting ramps and slopes that would confuse and bewilder even M.C. Escher should he fall into your diabolical pit?

Thou evil rising jumbles that theoretically have both an entrance and an exit. Yet I enter your soulless bowels always wondering if they are truly connected and I shall emerge from those artificial intestines victorious once again to tow another day, or be subsumed by architectural chaos, drug down into another dimension, and leave behind only a faded "Friendly Neighborhood Towing" ballcap and the whiff of diesel to forever haunt your grease and rubber tainted hallways like the Flying Dutchman?

Thy possessor of evil 90 degree angle turns that maw at the tires of my dolly wheels, snap at my rear view mirrors, and hunger for the paint of my bumper corners, to say nothing of my customer's car! Thou, the inventor of the improbable 6' 5'' overhead clearance that snags my radio antennae at every fifth pace and salivates at the chance to devour that very expensive light bar assembly atop my roof were it not able to flip down and hide beneath the roll-over bar like a frightened child!

Thy exit gates, sharper than a serpent's tooth! They lure me forth as they open, only to mercilessly attempt to close onto my customer's car as I pass... so that I must call forth aide from the Municipal Parking Department Priest who has the magical key to force you to open and stay open until he bids you to close!

What sadistic fiend's drawing board did thou jump from and into a living nightmare?! Why must you be so?!

But worst of worst are the evil trolls that patrol your insides, this barbarous collection of half-shaven apes that call themselves "Security" but are only one evolutionary rung removed from the lichen and fungi that spawned them!

Oh, I know in my heart of hearts that security guards fill this great land who are both brave and bold and committed to doing their jobs with the utmost professionalism. Cast me not upon fratching! I wish you only safety and hospitality, brave men and women! But, parking garage, why must thou always be populated by security "guards" who have obviously flunked the muster call for the job? By those who's disposition towards the world at large could best be described as "dyspeptic"? By those who's physical condition is very less than stellar? Who's girth and stature are such that if they were to fall to the ground I doubt they would be able to rise again under their own feeble muscle power? That they would probably roll all the way down to the bottom of your apparatus and tumble out the gate like a gumball leaving it's machine?

And pray tell security guard, why must thou read me the Riot Act when I am forced to block traffic for a whole FOUR MINUTES to load a disabled car? From thy words and inflection, you seem to think this is an affront to your masculinity! That I have committed an offense as grave as Regicide upon your kingdom!

"THOUST ART BLOCKING TRAFFIC!" you bluster.

And how exactly am I to remove this young maiden's VW from your hellhole without turning and backing into it?

"PUT THE KEY IN AND BACK IT OUT INTO THE AISLE, THEN LOAD IT!" you demand.

Ah, but good Sir, therein lies the problem. Young maiden's magical key to start her VW has broken, snapped in two betwixt it's head and shaft in the door, thus this mechanical steed cannot be entered, started nor even coaxed into neutral to roll to a more suitable place.

"WELL YOU'RE HOLDING UP EVERYONE!" you declare

True, but the people who must wait as I load or service a car inside never seem to mind the wait. I have never been called a name nor subjected to honking and angry horns on their part! They can see that I am doing my best to remove this wad of arterial plaque from the great circulatory system of the parking garage, and doing so is worth their patience! In fact, that line of cars before us now has grown from 3 to 8 and will continue to grow the longer you insist on dressing me down instead of leaving me to work, and yet, not a single horn has sounded!

"MAKE IT QUICK!" you demand

I get back to work now, and in response, you scribe some nasty remarks on your clipboard and waddle off to your cave, as both I and my young maiden customer are quite befuddled at your open hostility. So I drop to my knees and with my hands extended to the heavens I can only rage

PAAAAAAAAARRRRRRKING GARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEE!!!!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Sir Arga of Barga, you get more creative in your descriptions with each entry. Bravo.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

*golf clap*

Indeed, Sir, one of your very finest. Huzzah!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Wow.

Rarely does job frustration get to the level of Epic Poetry that would rival Beowulf.

I raise my glass to you, sir, and wish you a better rest of the week!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Was it just me, or did anyone else hear Shatner's voice at the very end?
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have a funny feeling that designing parking lots and parking garages is not the height that Top Civil Engineers and Architects aspire to; you end up in that job when it is discovered you are unqualified for anything more interesting.

One local mall had to repaint the lines THREE TIMES before they found an arrangement that was not an aisle-clogging nightmare. And of course they sandblasted the old markings in such a way that while they have no paint, they reflect light to look as if painted.

And there is a special place in hell for whomever Target gets to design their parking lots; the side exit can NEVER be used without cutting across aisles of spaces.

Comment

I'd never really thought about that aspect of your job before, Arga, but I can certainly see now how awful or tedious it could be. And seriously, I wouldn't even acknowledge the security guard after a certain point ---that's gotta be drainin' IQ points right outta ya.

Comment

well done, good sir, well done. You do the ancients like Chaucer and Shakespeare proud!
                Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

Apparently robotic car parks are all the rage in Japan. I imagine they're much more convenient for drivers at least, and in principle if a tow was needed from one you would find the car in question in a relatively spacious, level bay.

I do have to wonder what happens to the cars when the mechanism is damaged by an earthquake, though. There are a lot of those in Japan.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    Was it just me, or did anyone else hear Shatner's voice at the very end?
                    Damn you, woman(?) because now I can't read that without hearing Shatner throughout the whole thing.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      Parking Garages
                      PAAAAAAAAARRRRRRKING GARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEE!!!!
                      Now we know why the last four letters in "parking garage" spell "rage."
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        But worst of worst are the evil trolls that patrol your insides, this barbarous collection of half-shaven apes that call themselves "Security" but are only one evolutionary rung removed from the lichen and fungi that spawned them!
                        Please don't insult half-shaven apes with this comparison. Also, lichen and fungi are likely to be offended by your statement that they're only 1 rung more evolved than parking garage security personnel.

As an aside, do parking garages have the same problem with unauthorized parkers that other lots do? If so, is there any possibility of "cartel action" where NO towing company will bid on the impound job for a garage whose design risks damage to the tow truck?
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I suspect that most parking garages have better entry controls than surface lots do, so they have less of an issue with unauthorized parkers (those parkers are caught by the garage attendents, as some of the posters here have told us about. ).

So I doubt most garages would have a tow company on call, and instead, you get like this story (and the other story recently told) where someone's car breaks down in the garage of despair and needs to be towed out. Something that can't be easily cartelled against.

Comment

Fellow Trekkie- hallelujah!

Although I must say I'm more of a Nimoy fan...

Comment

....Dude.

I....I love you. That was awesome! I just about died laughing reading this, and I needed it after almost getting punched in the face at work by some irate jerk.

Comment

Working...
                              X