X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Tales: "I Don't Listen" Edition

First a good one:

Had a lady come to the desk, she was clearly exhausted and asked for our rates, I quoted her the regular rate, which she had no problem with. I asked for ID and form of payment, and she handed me ID, but held on to her CC and started using her phone (I was pretty sure it was to check the balance, and that was confirmed a few minutes later).

So, she asks me if I can split the bill, do a partial CC charge at take the rest in cash. I tell her that's no problem. I try to put the card through a few times, gradually dropping the amount each time, and it doesn't go through. The lady is very understanding that this is a problem with the card, and not me.

So she pays cash, and then gets on the phone with the Pre-Pay CC company trying to find out why the transactions wouldn't go through. She then asks me if I would talk to the CC rep, and when I do, they say sometimes you need to enter the CC manually and enter the CVV (three digit number on the back of CCs).

Problem: I have absolutely NO way to enter the CVV, there is no where to enter this info in my computer. I tell the rep that I can try it again, entering CC No and Exp manually but if they require that the CVV be entered, it is not going to go through. Lo and behold, it doesn't go through again.

The CC rep then tells the lady that she can just withdraw the remaining balance at an ATM. I give the lady directions to some nearby ATMs, and she goes to her room for the night.

The next day, she is actually looking for me (she comes down to breakfast just before I leave for the day) and thanks me profusely for my help the night before and introduces me to her husband and children.

Just a really over all nice family.

Now, the "bad" one:

The guy himself wasn't that bad, it's just he didn't want to listen/was pretty drunk.

He came to the desk at quarter of one in the morning (still Sat. night for the hotel) and asked what our rates were. I quoted him a rate. He asked if I could do better,and I told him about the AAA discount. He then insisted on checking online to make sure that I quoted him the best rate. I informed him that any rates he pulled up now would be for Sun. Night as it was after midnight. He says he knows, that he's a tech guy, he just wants to check. I try to explain it again, but he again brushes me off.

He eventually pulls up a lower rate, and I, again, inform him that it is for Sun. Night but as far as the hotel is concerned it is still Sat. Night. He continues to brush these comments aside with his, "I know" and "I am a tech guy". Anyway, eventually, this conversation happens:

SC: Are you sure that <rate I quoted> is the best you can do?
    ME: Yes.
    SC: Well, I just booked a room through <3rd party website> for <rate $20 less>
    ME: And what date is that for... <Looks at his phone screen> yes, see this is for coming in on Sun. Night.
    SC: Let me see. But it says for coming in on 5/5, and that's what the date is.
    ME: Yes, but while it is technically 5/5, as far as the hotel is concerned, it is 5/4.

He blew me off again, and walked away. Then he came back about an hour later with a lady, and asked about getting a room again. When he asked if I could cancel his reservation for Sun. Night, I told him no, that he would have to cancel with the 3rd party website he booked it through. They both walked off after that.

Half an hour after that, he comes back, checks into a room, and then asks me if I'm "sure I can't cancel the reservation". And I reiterate my previous statement, which he blows off, again, with the "I know that, I'm a tech".

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
    "I know that, I'm a tech".
    "LOOK, AN IDIOT!"

Point, then duck away when he looks.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
    X