X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25$ for THIS??

Wow.

That lady was full of moo moo nuggets.
    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
      25$ for THIS??

Wow.

She was. I sold one of the larger pieces for £650 before the end of the show and, now that my work is being picked up on by big galleries, soon it'll be going for a lot more than that.

Wanna bet that in x number of years when my work is selling for hopefully thousands, she'll rock up at a show, try to buy it, and screech "YOU SAID £250 FALSE ADVERTISING BAIT AND SWITCH RABBLE RABBLE!!!1!!1!!"

(And thanks! )
      "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

Comment

Bacon cookies?!?!?!
        ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post
          I'm an artist, and what I make looks really quick and easy (although I did explain to several whiners that it takes me easily a week to make the larger pieces.)
          Aye, I guess, but, as I once heard a painter tell a guy who was going the "I could paint that" way... "Well, why don't you?" I'm sure that, if they think that something is THAT easy to do but so nice that they would indeed pay some money to have it in their homes... they could just go ahead and copy/reproduce it?
          FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
            25$ for THIS??

Wow.

Excellent description.

Although for some reason, I thought of a different kind of Moo Moo nugget.

Namely these:

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Rock Lobster View Post
              Bacon cookies?!?!?!
              Don't mind if I do! *nom nom nom nom nom

(Also, your listed Location? I... may have misread it to mean... well, something it doesn't. But still, )

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
              Aye, I guess, but, as I once heard a painter tell a guy who was going the "I could paint that" way... "Well, why don't you?" I'm sure that, if they think that something is THAT easy to do but so nice that they would indeed pay some money to have it in their homes... they could just go ahead and copy/reproduce it?
              I usually point out that while, even if they are supposedly able to do it themselves, they didn't. I can copy and paste an entire script of a How I Met Your Mother episode, doesn't mean the writers' work is easy One thing people often don't understand is the simpler something appears to be, the more difficult it can be... it's like David Bailey's photography, or Ellsworth Kelly's pieces, or Tracey Emin's line drawings - yes, it looks very basic and simple, but EVERY. TINY. DETAIL. COUNTS. The less bumf there is to distract the eye, the less the artist can get away with.

(My work used to be a LOT more conceptual and basic-looking, and you would not believe the bullshit I had to put up with then.)

(Also, check me out at New Sensations! )
              "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

Comment

Bacon Cookies? Well if you insist

SC: Then we have a problem.
                Me: Ma'am, that may be true, but the difference between us is that my problem will go away when you do.
                SC:
                If you could frame this moment, I would gladly pay 250 for it, although I may have to use the age old currency of hi-fives. We could be there all day.

Also, I can't help but ask, was her name Hyacinth by any chance?

Comment

Quoth Cranky Cabbie View Post
                  Bacon Cookies? Well if you insist

If you could frame this moment, I would gladly pay 250 for it, although I may have to use the age old currency of hi-fives. We could be there all day.

Also, I can't help but ask, was her name Hyacinth by any chance?

Ahahaha oh Mrs Bucket... she was a staple of my weekend teatime TV when I was a kid. They showed it right before Evensong started But... no. Maybe she was a modern version - you know the type, bleached blonde hair that should have gone grey long ago that's all crispy, sucked-back face scary spike eyebrows so dark they look drawn-on, too-bright lipstick bleeding into the wrinkles around her lips you get from making catbutt faces all day long... and of course designer clothes, each item of which cost more than my rent

And hi-fives? Bring it. My only other plans today basically involve cats and Netflix. I got time, baby.

Comment

The picture of the Air Florida crash has special meaning for me. That was the day I interviewed for my last job. The plane crashed, the subway wrecked, and I got the job.

It would be interesting to see some historic crashes pictured using your technique, especially airship crashes.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                      One thing people often don't understand is the simpler something appears to be, the more difficult it can be... it's like David Bailey's photography, or Ellsworth Kelly's pieces, or Tracey Emin's line drawings - yes, it looks very basic and simple, but EVERY. TINY. DETAIL. COUNTS. The less bumf there is to distract the eye, the less the artist can get away with.
                      You just reminded me of something (I hadda look it up to get the exact story)

'There’s a story (true or false, I don’t know) about the famous artist, Pablo Picasso.

It seems a woman came up to him and asked him to sketch something on a piece of paper.
                      He sketched it, and gave it back to her saying: “That will cost you $10,000″.

She was astounded. “You took just five minutes to do the sketch,” she said. Isn’t $10,000 a lot for five minutes work?

“The sketch may have taken me five minutes, but the learning took me 30 years,” Picasso retorted.'

I think it applies here, along with the guy that said "It's just cardboard!" Kay dude, go home and cut that cardboard as nice and sleek and even. we'll wait.
                      Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        It would be interesting to see some historic crashes pictured using your technique, especially airship crashes.
                        Maybe the Hindenburg?

Then again, famous air crashes might fall under the "too soon" trope...
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

That's pretty much what I've done, every crash really happened and was one that marked a big turning point in aviation history.... I've done JAL 123, American Airlines 191, Lockerbie, Tenerife, the Uberlingen mid-air collision, the Charkhi Dadri mid-air collision, the Grand Canyon disaster, the Polish Air Force crash a couple years back, Air France 447, TWA 800... and many more...

Comment

I knew in passing some of the kids on TWA 800. Some of the kids from the Montoursville PA soccer team were on that flight. And to honest, they were the dirtiest bunch of bastards we ever played at high school level. Both kids and refs... every single time we played them at home.
                            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                            And it's not what I wanted to be
                            The weight on me
                            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Welcome to the site! Great first post, great stories, and damn impressive art!

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              And I agree with you about Powell's; it's the biggest and best bookstore I've ever seen. I could happily spend entire days there.
                              Quoth Marlowe View Post
                              POWELL'S! I think I could quite happily live in Powell's for EVER.
                              If you ever get to New York City, check out Strand's on Broadway. I've said for years that Strand's and Powell's were the two greatest bookstores I've ever been to.

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                              Wait... they Serve FOOD in New Orleans? I swear all I had to eat when I was there was beer.
                              New Orelans is one of the best food cities I've ever been to. You missed out, big time.

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                              I love that you were able to tell the woman off who was trying to shove the 25 at you; I suppose you have more leeway than many of us with being able to say things like that to SC's. Nice!
                              One advantage of being a bartender is I get to play that game, though I haven't had many challengers lately.

"How much is a Corona?"
                              Five dollars.
                              "How about I give you two bucks and we call it even?"
                              Sure, six dollars it is.
                              "No, I said TWO."
                              Seven dollars, no problem.
                              "Three dollars?"
                              Eight seems a bit steep, but sure, why not?
                              "Okay, okay! Five dollars! Here, take my money!"
                              Pleasure doing business with you!

Quoth Rock Lobster View Post
                              Bacon cookies?!?!?!
                              You had me at hello.

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                              That's pretty much what I've done, every crash really happened and was one that marked a big turning point in aviation history.... I've done JAL 123, American Airlines 191, Lockerbie, Tenerife, the Uberlingen mid-air collision, the Charkhi Dadri mid-air collision, the Grand Canyon disaster, the Polish Air Force crash a couple years back, Air France 447, TWA 800... and many more...
                              Question: have you tackled 9/11? If not, do you intend to? Or is that one you avoid because of how strongly emotions run with it? Just curious.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                                That's pretty much what I've done, every crash really happened
                                Ah. That's why no Oceanic Airlines Flight 815.

Comment

Working...
                                X