Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had to give away stuff for free, and I'm ticked.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to give away stuff for free, and I'm ticked.

Some of the details are from my end of it, and some from what my coworkers told me.

I was watching the front lanes at the end of the night while awesome bosslady was grabbing drawers from all over the store. She happened to be at the pharmacy, which was right there, so when a guy came up asking if I was the lady to see about some baby clothes, and mentioned her name, I asked her what to do.

Background: we have lots of sets of baby clothes that are sets meant to be given as gifts. They are tagged together, but they do come apart sometimes. So the main item is tagged with a barcode and the rest of the items in the set can have tags with the item number, but no barcode, and a $0.00 so they don't get double-scanned or sold as one piece for the price of the set. It's meant to protect customers from getting overcharged.

Well, this guy, who said he'd worked retail [you should know better*, you scammer] wanted 4 sets of clothes for $0 because "as a consumer, that's what I see." (The main barcode tags had no printed price, as they were meant to be gifts. Whether that's smart of the company is beside the point. Any reasonable person would use a price scanner.) I had asked bosslady what to do and was confused when she had said to mark them to $0. I even asked if the computer would do that. I rang the first up and it was $18.00. She had come over and told me to mark them down. I had to, with a smile, but I'm sure he could see in my eyes how little I thought of him. When you say "as a consumer," I totally know better. And his wife was pregnant. What is he going to teach that kid?

On top of it, even though the MOD had gotten sick of the SC's arguing and quoting laws we weren't breaking, and had given in, the SC got mad when MOD removed the rest of the clothes so we could put prices on the tags. He accused MOD of being rude, and MOD told him, "I'm correcting our mistake." The guy got free stuff and he was still threatening to call corporate. Ugh. I see it as lost sales, which take hours away from me. I feel he's stolen from me.

* I heard the MOD had actually said this to the SC. I think he wishes he hadn't given in. We were discussing it and MOD said, "What I should've done was ripped it apart and handed the shirt with the $0.00 tag on it to the guy." I wish he had.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I'm sure your GM or whoever it is in charge there will just be thrilled with losing $72 to this fuckery. $72. I'm sorry, I don't care how much the guy was bitching or how tired of it your MOD got... that's a lot to lose in one transaction. I'd be ticked, too, if I were you. In fact, I'd almost ask for SC to be banned, if that were possible.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Just make sure you document it, stating clearly that you were *ordered* to sell the items for $0, when, and by whom. The "why" wouldn't hurt, either (the tagging situation). Somewhere down the line, somebody higher up has gotta get curious about this...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You can also simply tell him, the next time you see him enter the store, is that he is no longer welcome there, and you will be calling the authorities if he persists. Don't give him the chance to talk to a higher up.

Comment

I guess the silver lining is he didn't gather them ALL up? Honestly, I think the smug "I've worked retail" and "As a consumer" BS would have bothered me more than the seventy-two bucks.

[sarcasm]Yes, it's definitely rude to not allow SC to steal more![/sarcasm]

gggrrrrrrrr. Now I'm mad for ya, Food.
          Last edited by sms001; 07-27-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

sms, yeah--I'm more angry that he got away with it all pretend-polite.

Comment

My manager did something very similar for one of my customers the other day, and it pissed me off so badly.

To make a long story short, SC has had interest refunded from his credit card every month, for the past 8 months. He had been educated by multiple reps that if he continued to use the card for purchases, he would be charged interest. He chose to ignore that and then call us demanded refunds under the threat of closing his account.

After I told him no, I would not be refunding any more interest, he asked to speak to someone else. My manager caved and refunded not one, but two months worth of interest charges.
              Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

I would have told the guy that as a consumer, you surely must realize that no store is going to be giving things away for free, and by simply looking at the display of clothes (and the shelf tag, which probably used the word "set" somewhere), you could tell that these were sets that had come apart. He was a scammer, pure and simple. I don't think a store is obligated to give somebody something for free because of a thing like that.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  I don't think a store is obligated to give somebody something for free because of a thing like that.
                  A store would be obligated where I live; it's the law :/ which is why I don't remember ever seeing a $0.00 tag on other pieces of a set where the main item has no price. It just spells disaster like what happened to the OP.

SC kept pushing for it because he knew the store would cave in. I'm sorry for what happened!

Comment

I would say that there's a BIG difference between a "$0.00" price tag (which would be enforceable) and a tag with a barcode only and no reference to price (which should not be enforceable as "free," and really should say "must be purchased as part of a set" or something like that)
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

The problem is that it had both of those kind of tags.

Comment

Ick. Corporate stupidity getting enforced via Managerial incompetence, then. All the more reason to document everything just in case the fit hits the shan.

Comment

Where I live, if a company is showing something at one price, but it is actually higher, then it must be sold at the price on the ticket. However, you can also simply refuse to sell it at that price and withdraw it from sale for 24 hours. You only have to give them that price if you actually sell it to them.

Comment

Working...
                          X