X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing Tidbits, Late July Edition

When They Cause you to Lose it.

Walked into the office at the tail end of this. There was a lady standing at the front counter, apparently in the process of filling out paperwork to get her car back. Wasn't paying attention, since she wasn't causing a scene. Nearby, a couple other employees were talking. I think it was one of the service techs who was relating a story to another tech. Only caught the end of that conversation too.... went something like

Tech: *blah* *blah* needed the whole thing replaced, now that's just plain embarrassing.

Well, that must have been Pee Wee's secret word for the day, because the lady at the counter promptly flips her s*it.

Lady: NO! What's embarrassing is being forced to pay one-hundred and fifty* to get my own car back when I was parked LEGALLY**! They*** said I could if I just turned on my flashers, and they were ON****! And now I have to pay to get my own car back for being parked there for just TWO minutes*****!!! THAT'S EMBARRASSING!!!! I'm absolutely LIVID! You should be ashamed!******

* - It's one hundred and fifteen, but a lot of people mishear this and go berserk with the wrong value filled in

** - Uh, no you weren't you didn't have a permit, as the sign on the wall you parked in front of spelled out in plain English, and, as it warned, you got towed

*** - Ah, the mysterious "They" , the same "They" that always seem to be one step ahead of us, giving permission for folks to do things they can't do, I really wish we could track "They" down someday and give them a good talking to about this nasty habit of theirs. I

**** - They were, but all that does is get our attention faster, you might as well have a big "COME GET ME, I DON'T BELONG" sign on the roof in neon when you do that.

***** - By adding the Borough mandated 15 min wait, and the time it took for the truck to get there, you were towed 18 minutes after being called in to us, and the hood of the car wasn't even warm, so you'd been there MUCH longer, but no angry tow victim rant would be complete without the "It was just 2 mintues!" lie would it?

****** - We should be a lot of things, according to the public at large. "Arrested", "sued", "shot" "out of business" "disemboweled" , but guess what? We aren't any of them either!!!

Do they even realize how badly they're lying as they do it? Or are they just so amped up on personal indignation that it doesn't matter once they're on a roll? Kinda like that scene in Animal House, "WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?!"

Permission Schermission, I got a Note!

I've seen plenty of hand written "don't tow me, I got a really good excuse!" notes, but never one that used this wording before.

"PARKING PERMISSION GIVEN"

That's all it said

Here's what I want to know, given by who? Your Mother? God? The spheres? Martians? Certainly NOT the property owner, since he would have given you a proper permit.... or called us and told us not to tow your car if we happened to see it.... oh, wait, I get it. You got permission from "They" again, didn't you? Sorry, that rascal is still on the loose, but we'll catch him someday.

Oh and your permission? It's just been *puts on sunglasses* denied...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Crabby Lady Thinks I'm Not All That

I hate to brag lady, but, tell me. Exactly how many multi-vehicle pileups have YOU cleaned up? I'm guessing I've done more. Yeah, your emotions may be a bit out of control in the immediate aftermath of a crash, adrenaline high and all, so you'll get SOME slack from me. But, I really don't appreciate you critique of my performance. You don't have to remind me that your car is front-wheel drive and I'm picking it up from the wrong end.... see... I CAN"T pick it up from the other end, since that's currently buried in the trunk of someone else's car, I have to pull these two apart first. And then, I'll put on the dolly wheels, I have done this before you know..... (The cop on scene did chuckle a bit, I kinda said that all under my breath instead of in my mind, and he heard it, even if you didn't)

Also, while I'm putting the dollies on, don't try and step OVER me to get INTO your car, whatever it is, it can wait, if I lose my grip on this iron bar, that ALL THE WEIGHT of this car is pushing against, it's going to fly out of the dolly and slug you and me both in the head like a mule kick, and it'll hurt like hell, believe me, I've done it before. Like having your wisdom teeth out, the swelling goes down after the third day.

Also, we can't leave just yet, I have to mop up this mess of plastic and put down some quick-dry to soak up the contents of your car's cooling system which has emptied into the middle of the road and is NOT something I can just leave there as it's slick and might precipitate another accident. As soon as I have that all swept up and garbage-bagged, THEN the cops can reopen the road and we can take care of where you're being towed to. That is the top priority right now.... clearing the road, the cops and my manager will back me ALL THE WAY on this.

You apparently don't like this, as the entire time I'm sweeping you're yelling at me, demanding my name/number because I'm "Rude" and "Think You're all that!!!"

You know what lady? I'm not going to GIVE you my name. See, I was supposed to be going HOME right now, but got yanked back in the door for the priority 911 call anyway.... I should be somewhere else, so I'm not in the mood. And, good luck guessing it, as you can see, since I was heading home, I'm not wearing my uniform..... unless you think this Hawaiian shirt is company-standard (well, the lime green reflective vest over top is, talk about color clash, I'm such a fashion disaster)

And, for your information, I've re-righted cars that were on their roofs when I found em. I've towed in cars that have gone over CLIFFS. I've towed in cars that have been UP TREES. So yes, I AM all of that, and a bag of chips!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
    When They Cause you to Lose it.

Do they even realize how badly they're lying as they do it? Or are they just so amped up on personal indignation that it doesn't matter once they're on a roll? Kinda like that scene in Animal House, "WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?!"
    No, of course, they don't realize they're lying. Because they never lie, guh-doyyy. They are Always, Always Right. If, in fact, they are Wrong, then it's just a case of Reality being inconveniently Absent of the Proper Facts.

Permission Schermission, I got a Note!

"PARKING PERMISSION GIVEN"
    How I wish you could have stuck a sign where their car had been, that simply said "NOPE."

I hate to brag lady, but, tell me. Exactly how many multi-vehicle pileups have YOU cleaned up?

And, for your information, I've re-righted cars that were on their roofs when I found em. I've towed in cars that have gone over CLIFFS. I've towed in cars that have been UP TREES. So yes, I AM all of that, and a bag of chips!
    Game. Set. Match. To Sir Arga of Barga!
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Really, all you'd need to do to counter this is point out that she failed to navigate a slightly less than straight line in the presence of other motorists, something that literally millions of motorists accomplish every day.

Literally. Right there. Tons of people manage just fine in that exact spot. Sometimes they go through it more than once a day. So what happened to you? Was it the concept of not occupying the same space as the car in front of you, or the whole 'keeping inside the lines' thing?

(I know there are extenuating circumstances, but honestly, aside from a boulder falling onto the road, a car crash is caused by at least ONE party doing something stupid, and I'm pretty sure putting my chips on 'bitch' is a safe bet)
      Check out my webcomic!

Comment

I've towed in cars that have been UP TREES. So yes, I AM all of that, and a bag of chips!
        Um, up trees?? How did that happen?
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          On one side of the road, there was MOUNTAIN!
          On the other side of the road, there was... nuthin'

You gotta sing this song with enthusiasm, like you just squashed a cop.
          [/Arlo]
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

[B][SIZE="5"]Here's what I want to know, given by who? Your Mother? God? The spheres? Martians? .... oh, wait, I get it. You got permission from "They" again, didn't you?
            Either that or the voice in his head.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

You don't have to remind me that your car is front-wheel drive and I'm picking it up from the wrong end.... see... I CAN"T pick it up from the other end, since that's currently buried in the trunk of someone else's car, I have to pull these two apart first.
              I feel like the possible issues her car may encounter from being towed by the wrong end are the least of her worries, there.

Comment

I just ate a bag of chips in your honor.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  I really want to hear that one. Wonder if it'll be as good as that story I wrote years ago about the time Brenda landed her Lambo in the top of a tree in Central Park?
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Drunk came up on a "Y" intersection at 2 am where he had to go either left or right.

He decided he didn't like any of those options and instead went straight ahead

He chose...... poorly.

Car hopped the curb, knocked down a street sign which fell against an 80+ year old tree that was fairly large in diameter and was NOT budging. So the sign simply ended up propped against the tree at a 45 degree angle, and the car drove UP the sign and UP into the tree.

By the time I got there, gravity had kinda reasserted itself, and the car had fallen out of the tree and landed on it's side. But, it was still resting against the trunk with no wheels on the ground. I counted it as "in the tree"

He's lucky he hit that sign, had he gone straight into the tree, it wouldn't have been a cop car picking him up from the scene, it woulda been the meatwagon.
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I've seen close. a car on its rear wheels and front wheels up the trunk. admittedly that was caused by a flash flood. The flash flood washed the car down the driveway, which had a sharp curve in it. The car continued down the hill until it hit a tree (with some force I'd imagine to get into that position)

Comment

But making the road safe for OTHER people isn't HER problem! Why should SHE have to wait?

<end 'trying to get into crazy lady's head'>

Arg: thanks for taking the time to respond to an emergency call when it was home time.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

On the subject of trees - I knew an EMT who once took crap from an ER doc when he brought a guy in on a back board and his head wasn't secured as nicely as might have been (was secure, but the job looked like hell). EMT told the doc that if the doc wanted to come along and climb into the tree to help him do it better next time, then the doc was more than welcome...
                          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

So yes, I AM all of that, and a bag of chips!
                            I haven't come out of lurking previously to say it before but it was too good a line. You, Argabarga, are definitely my favourite poster at this site. I look forward to new threads by you with great enjoyment. So yes, yes you are all that.

And the bag the chips too.

Comment

I put a car up a tree once, or really it was down onto a tree as I just went off a 90 foot embankment avoiding the guy coming head on to me at around 100 MPH. I may not have chosen wisely, but it was much more survivable that a head on between a car doing 60 and one doing 100. Well plus I had no idea the embankment was 90 feet, but at that point in time I really didn't give a shit.

Did you know that you can bend the trunk of a 1973 Chrysler New Yorker inwards 5 feet without it getting into the passenger compartment? Of course the luggage is trashed, but that is just fine with me!
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X