This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Work A Seatbelt

I work as a shuttle driver at a major hotel chain for my second job. This particular week we had a big convention in town.. a bunch of middle aged, rich, entitled housewives gather to learn how to sell these oil (snake oils) that claim all sorts of miracles; it will help you lose weight, this one can cure cancer.. but wait there's more! This one can cure autism! Act now!

There's 930 pick up for two people on the schedule at the convention center where these people have their little classes and seminars. I arrive at 9:32. I sit there for about 10 minutes, having no way to know what the people I'm picking up look like.. the best thing is usually to just wait in the shuttle and keep your eyes open..

Finally, two women who have been standing outside the whole time but didn't bother to look in my direction and read a big red sign that says the name of the hotel on the side of the van approach me. I figure it must be them so I get out and start helping them with their bags and stuff, open the sliding shuttle doors..

ME: Hello! How are you ladies doing? I have a 930 pick up for (SC2)?
    SC1: You're late!
    I hold open the door for them and then close it once they get in, load the bags in back and then walk around the driver side and check my mirrors, make sure the coast is clear so I can pull away from the curb, and then I gently pull away. The whole time these two women are doing nothing but gabbing about their stupid snake oil.. I try to be friendly, but I don't want to intrude on their conversation so I mind my own business..

SC1: Excuse me! I don't have my seat belt on! You have to make sure everyone has their seat belt on before you can pull away!

They've had ample time to put their seat belt on.. I even tried to make some polite small talk before but they just kept on gabbing and ignored me. She keeps bitching and bitching about the seat belt, and I am starting to lose my patience..

SC: This is really unprofessional and dangerous. What if we get in an accident.! God!! I cant get my seat belt on with you driving like a maniac!

At this point I am slowly creeping to a stop at a red light about to make a right turn (and not at all driving like a maniac, especially since because of the convention there are crowds of people everywhere, on the side walks in the middle of the road.. these people have no regard for the cars on the road.) I stop the car and throw it into park in the most over-exaggerated, passive aggressive way possible and I turn to the bitchy lady, smiling sarcastically the whole time.

ME: I'm sorry you can't figure out how to use your seat belt. I'll tell you what.. why don't just sit here until you can figure it out how to get it fastened.

Traffic is starting build up behind us and this "lady's" face turns beat red. The rest of the trip she is dead silent. I can tell that SC2 is embarrassed for her friend and the bitchy manner she has been acting.

Finally when we get back to the hotel.. she gets out of the shuttle and walks right up to me puts her arm on my shoulder and starts to say..

SC1: A little word of advice.. You need to make sure all passengers have their seat belt on before you pull away...

I interrupt her...

ME: Take your hand off my shoulder, please (I move her hand and step away). I never gave you permission to start touching me.
    SC1: I'm trying to give you some advice so you can do your job better.
    ME: Fair enough, now please go away. I've had just about enough of you for tonight..

She scoffs and walks away..
    She lodged a complaint with my coworker the next morning.. A person who would have taken less shit from her than I ever would have, who I have known since the 6th grade. He told me about the complaint and we both just laughed. I get the impression this particular lady is used to having her way a lot.. I'm sure she's used to barking commands at her husband and him bending to her every will.. sorry lady.. you don't get to be rude to me in my own shuttle (which is a free amenity that over the course of your week stay probably saved you hundreds of dollars in cab fare) and then just start putting your hands allover me and man handling me like I'm your property. You may be a guest here, but it doesn't mean you get to treat the employees like anything less than human beings.
    Last edited by Nordel; 08-14-2013, 11:21 PM.

Not like I've ridden in hundreds of shuttles, but I've ridden my fair share over the years. I don't recall one every saying "Does everyone have their seatbelt on?"

I think those drivers, and you, trust that adults know they should put their belts on. . . .

Comment

Exactly.. We are all adults here, I think we can all manage our own seat belts. Now, if it's a child or perhaps an old lady, then I'll be happy to help them all day.

I have never once gotten into a cab or shuttle and had the driver say "Is everyone's seat belt on! Does any body need help with theirs?"

It's a seat belt. You take the thing and click it into the other thing.. it's easy...unless your a drunk old crotchety old bitch.. trying to cure diabetes with lavender oil.. in other words a moron.

Oh... I understand, now.

Comment

"ME: I'm sorry you can't figure out how to use your seat belt. I'll tell you what.. why don't just sit here until you can figure it out how to get it fastened."

On behalf of everybody everywhere who wishes we could say this, may I take my hat off to you? And/or offer cookies in homage?

And the only times I've held a seatbelt-check is when I was driving my sister or brother and their friends around, back when they were little.

Comment

Quoth Nordel View Post
          It's a seat belt. You take the thing and click it into the other thing.. it's easy...unless ...
          You're in a '68 Toadrotor Landjuicer painted Hunter Orange like my dad had...

It took three minutes minimum to get the belt snugged up in your lap... and 30 seconds for it to slacken down to your ankles.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Don't customers like this just "drive" you up the wall?
            But seriously, I am sorry you had to put up with that. Anyone I don't know lays a hand on me, you'd better goddamn well get it off within a count of 3. Nowhere in any employee handbook does it say we have to allow customers to touch us in any way, shape, or form. Now a simple friendly touch on the shoulder, that I do not mind.
            Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 08-15-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              It took three minutes minimum to get the belt snugged up in your lap... and 30 seconds for it to slacken down to your ankles.
              Dalesys, are you sure you aren't confusing it with knicker elastic?

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                Dalesys, are you sure you aren't confusing it with knicker elastic?
                A friend of mine managed to drop her drawers in Edinburgh's Cathedral Square...

In the days before elastic waistbands, a good girl wore two pair, just in case...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Customers and seat belts, hooo boy.

I'm just amazed that she was making a big deal about NOT having hers on. Normally I like to ensure that people in my taxi are wearing theirs because the car screams blue murder till they're on, and also because if the cops pull us over, it's an instant fine to the passenger. I swear people around here are allergic to seat belts, in the same way a slug is allergic to salt.

Comment

I actually figured out how to make the beeping stop. Involved something weird like pumping the breaks 19 times and then honking the horn or something!

Quoth Ashaela View Post
                    "ME: I'm sorry you can't figure out how to use your seat belt. I'll tell you what.. why don't just sit here until you can figure it out how to get it fastened."

On behalf of everybody everywhere who wishes we could say this, may I take my hat off to you? And/or offer cookies in homage?

And the only times I've held a seatbelt-check is when I was driving my sister or brother and their friends around, back when they were little.

Driving a shuttle for just over minimum wage doesn't even begin to cover the amount it would take for me to put up with this kind of nonsense

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      A friend of mine managed to drop her drawers in Edinburgh's Cathedral Square...

In the days before elastic waistbands, a good girl wore two pair, just in case...
                      Was she carrying Celery?

P*S

Comment

Working...
                      X