This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living anti-social

This happened to a co-worker but it really pissed me the fuck off!

First let me start by saying. If you're just walking in to pick up a pizza I don't necessarily expect you to tip. It's a nice, appreciated gesture but all I did was walk your pizza to the counter. If, on the other hand, you're dining in and people are waiting on you THEN my expectations go up just a little especially if you've left a big fucking mess.

A family of five comes in and orders for dine in. A large pizza, some cheesy bread sticks, a salad and some sodas. We get their order made, get it out to them. Everything seems fine.

About twenty minutes later, some lanky skinny dude comes up to the counter. My co-worker goes to assist him.

CW=Co-Worker
    SC=

CW: How was everything?
    SC: It was all right.
    CW: Looks like you're total will be $29.50

SC whips out a LivingSocial voucher. Pay $10 for $20 worth of food.

CW: All right looks like $9.50 then.

SC hands her a credit card.

CW: Be right back. Did you need your copy of the receipt?
    SC: Yeah

She runs the credit card, takes the card, receipt and pen back to the SC. He starts to fill out the receipt then looks up at her.

SC: I COULD tip you.
    CW: That's entirely up to you.
    SC (Slides the receipt back to her, a cocky grin on his face) Heh, heh!

She just looked at him, took the receipt, put it in the register, waited for them to leave then told us what just happened.

Wow.

Look, asshole, if you're not gonna tip, just DON'T tip! But don't stand there and act all coy about it especially when you got to feed your family a full on pizza dinner for a great price.

And, of course, they left a big fucking mess.

And that is why I DESPISE any kind of "daily deal" voucher bullshit. It always brings out the bottom feeding bargain hunters who would NEVER frequent your place if they had to pay anywhere NEAR full price.

Boss feels the same way. No more vouchers.
    I don't like your attitude!
    Yeah? Well you're not EATING my attitude!

Quoth zigcat View Post
    Awesome!

And I agree with both points. Although I'll use coupons/vouchers etc., especially to try someplace new, I treat it like any other dining out. And I tip on the full amount, not the total after discount. That said, people who "tease" or joke about tips are asshats. And all too often you do see one hit wonders that the coupon drags in, never to be seen again.

Comment

Ouch. That has to hurt, and is one of the reasons I refuse to even look at those coupon sites. The 2nd reason is I just know that entitlement whores are waiting to come out of the woodwork.

Quoth zigcat View Post
      And that is why I DESPISE any kind of "daily deal" voucher bullshit. It always brings out the bottom feeding bargain hunters who would NEVER frequent your place if they had to pay anywhere NEAR full price.
      Another reason I refuse to even look at those coupon sites is what they do to the businesses who advertise with them. I thought I'd give one a go for advertising my business, and was that shocked at whay they wanted me to offer that I just hung up on them.

They wanted me to offer $300 worth of work and materials, for a voucher price of $50, of which they would then take 50% of the voucher. So essentially, while I would be screaming my tits off with work, I'd be hemorrhaging money. I could have accepted $200 worth of work for a voucher price $100 and them taking 25%, as that would cover a majority of the cost to me, but they just flatout refused to budge.

Hence, I refuse to even visit those sites, and tell anyone who buys those vouchers they're essentially robbing that business, even if the business has agreed to the terms of the advertising.
      Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Now I feel bad for all the coupons I have bought...

Comment

Eep. o_O Same.

I figured they took a cut, but I didn't know it was anywhere NEAR that high. I assumed it was more like 10% ~_~ And why the hell do THEY get to decide the discount?? It makes much more sense for the restaurant (etc) to make that decision.

That being said, (a), I don't live in a town where the vouchers are usable anymore, and (b) the places I've used them at actually seemed really happy to have them.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
            Now I feel bad for all the coupons I have bought...
            Don't feel bad about buying coupons or vouchers. I use them as well. The bigger issue is that people have no clue how to tip. If I've got a $20 for $10 voucher (for instance), I'll tip on the $20, not the $10. That's how it's supposed to work.

You do get some bottom-feeders. You also get some people who otherwise might not have gone into your store to come in and see what you've got, and you then get a chance to earn repeat business.

Comment

That was me, I went on them looking for something new to go to. Hell three of my best dates with my ex came from those. But we always tipped on the pre discount price AND went back a second time cause the food was so yummy.

I found the ones who now take care of the cleaning of my car through them. I tip them too...but yea now I'm conflicted.

Comment

Quoth reimero View Post
                Don't feel bad about buying coupons or vouchers. I use them as well. The bigger issue is that people have no clue how to tip. If I've got a $20 for $10 voucher (for instance), I'll tip on the $20, not the $10. That's how it's supposed to work.

You do get some bottom-feeders. You also get some people who otherwise might not have gone into your store to come in and see what you've got, and you then get a chance to earn repeat business.
                I do the same. I've used coupons and deals but I always tip on the ACTUAL price, not the discounted amount. I like what one restaurant did; they brought the check with the full price, and also what we actually owed, using the Groupon. took the guesswork out of how much was it really, so we knew exactly how much to tip.

Comment

That one guy in the OP forgot Wheaton's Law. (essentially don't be a jerk)
                  Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM. Reason: typo
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Sorry guys, didn't mean to make any of you feel bad for using these coupons. I have a raging hatred of them simply because they wouldn't let me set my own amount of work value and discount level to manage the loss that would I actually take.

One of the primary purposes for them is as reimero says, trying to get repeat customers. Not to make the business a quick buck, though earning enough from the promotion to actually pay for it would be nice.

Aethian, you've obviously found some good places and given them repeat business through the coupons, which is great, as that is what these coupons are for.

It's just unfortunate that we're living in a society of 'the next big deal' which brings out the bottom-feeders who want everything essentially handed to them on a silver platter and have no intention of ever going back too that business again.
                    Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

The only time I will ever use those discount vouchers is when it is for a bigger corporate group, like one of the thermal hotpools a little out of town, they have been open for a long time and can pretty much afford to do specials like what they do (plus they sell THOUSANDS of vouchers when they do them)
                      Violets are blue,
                      Roses are red,
                      I bequeath to thee...
                      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                        I found the ones who now take care of the cleaning of my car through them. I tip them too...but yea now I'm conflicted.
                        It is the business' free choice whether or not to advertise through the voucher sites. If the business chooses to, then you have every right to take advantage of their choice.

The fact that you use those voucher sites to decide whether or not to give ongoing business to the place, and that you tip sensibly, makes you a not-jerk.

Using the voucher sites does not make you a jerk. Using them the way the OP's jerktomer did, does.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth zigcat View Post
                          And once again a complete twat ruins it for everyone else.

You see I love vouchers and coupons and the online gift cards. They allow me a parent with two kids in college to go out and have a nice sanity break with my wife once in awhile.

But when people like that come along, the places that take the voucher and and whatnot say "Fuck it! It's not worth the aggravation" and suddenly a night out with the wife turns into grabbing a burger at McDonalds because that's what we can afford.

And I'm a lazy tipper. I really have to be annoyed at a person to take the time to calculate a 15% tip. It's usually easier to figure out 10% (move the decimal over one place) and double it to 20%. And I tip based on the total amount of the bill and not what I paid. It's only fair. So I don't abuse the vouchers or go out of my way to be a jackass.

But damn it! Eventually it's going to get to the point where businesses are not going to be willing to do ANYTHING nice for a customer with the way these fuckers are acting.
                          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Not one person who redeemed a voucher at our store became a regular customer. That is why our store will no longer use them. However, that does not mean they SHOULD not be used if done so responsibly.

I've only ever ONCE used a voucher. It was for a Thai restaurant that I wanted to take a friend to for her birthday. First I read the terms and conditions. Second since her birthday was still a few months away, I made sure I knew the value expiration date.

When we went to dine, I presented the voucher up front. We placed our order and when we were done I tipped on the actual value NOT the purchase value. And I must say the food was very good and I would definitely go back and pay their full menu price.
                            I don't like your attitude!
                            Yeah? Well you're not EATING my attitude!

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                              businesses are not going to be willing to do ANYTHING nice for a customer with the way these fuckers are acting.
                              Or, sadly, the only ones who will get anything discounted/free/extra are the very ones who cause businesses to tighten up in the first place - the whiny little EWs.

Comment

Working...
                              X