This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double SC Rant

Back again not long after my last post! I had two SCs today and need to rant, my blood is still boiling... First off, I work in an aquarium. And as a side thing, we have a little scratch off question and answer thing. The kids (or adults) get their scratch offs and find questions around the attraction. Each question has three color coded answer choices; red, blue, and yellow. To pick the answer they want, they just scratch off the color answer they want, and there will be a check mark or an X telling if they got it right or wrong. At the end, the get a little plastic medal as a prize.

These medals.... I'm beginning to form a hatred for them as both of my SCs today were because of them...

SC The First

So we've all been there. Kids are messy. Especially so in a gift shop surrounded by toys. So yeah, part of my job is taking stray toys and putting them back where they belong. No big deal, I don't mind.

But I turn around for just a second to put a toy back on it's shelf and when I come back, there's a woman, hand in the medal jar with a good handful of them. Conversation as follows;

Eevie: "Ma'am, hold on! MA'AM!"

SC: *gasps, drops medals except for a few* "Sorry just helping ourselves to the medals!"

Eevie: "Ma'am, I'm sorry but did your family do the scratch-off challenge?"

SC: *instant condescending tone* "Yes, sweetie... I have the nice colorful pieces of paper on the soda fridge. You can even count them! See, 1... 2... 3 pieces of paper! Now see that I have 1... 2... 3 medals! Buh-bye!

Eevie:

I HATE that tone! I can't stand being treated like a child who doesn't know any better! I mean I know I'm 18 and young, but come on now!

SC the Second

*At the moment I'm passing out medals to a group of kids who've already turned in their sheets when SC spots it.*

SC: "Three medals, please."

Eevie: "Um, okay... Where are your scratch-off sheets?"

SC: "WHAT?! Nobody told me anything about a scratch off sheet!!!"

Eevie: "They were at the beginning of the aquarium, ma'am, where you got your tickets... They were free to take..."

And it when around like this for about 30 seconds until she went to the front and took the blank scratch-offs to turn into me... I just gave her the stupid medals. I'm not risking my job over a piece of plastic... Luckily my manager gave me the okay to just give them a medal if they ask about them. But good god! It's a piece of plastic and ribbon people! No need to get your panties in a wad. It's supposed to be fun!

I just need to rant. And I need kitty snuggles... Lots and lots of kitty snuggles...
    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

I hate the condescending attitude more than anything as well. That's when you know someone is just an asshole, and you can't excuse it any other way. Ugh, and it's even worse when it's parents acting that way. Way to model good behavior for the next generation of SCs.

Comment

It's like there's something in the air. "Must...get...free...stuff!!!" And all the idiots swarm up to any place that's giving away anything. I swear, you could put a huge steaming pile of crap out on the driveway with a sign reading "Free" and people would fall over each other fighting to get some.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        put a huge steaming pile of crap out on the driveway with a sign reading "Free" and people would fall over each other fighting to get some.
        And then be pissy at you 'cause it's not smelly enough, or won't fit in their trunk, or isn't the right kind for fertilizer, or........

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
          SC: *instant condescending tone* "Yes, sweetie... I have the nice colorful pieces of paper on the soda fridge. You can even count them! See, 1... 2... 3 pieces of paper! Now see that I have 1... 2... 3 medals! Buh-bye!
          "And I have one finger for you! You can even count it! See, ONE!"
          Quoth Eevie View Post
          Luckily my manager gave me the okay to just give them a medal if they ask about them. But good god! It's a piece of plastic and ribbon people! No need to get your panties in a wad. It's supposed to be fun!
          It wouldn't surprise me if they discontinued that after a while, for that exact reason. People do go loony over free things, and I'm sure the aquarium doesn't want anyone hurt over a stupid piece of plastic and ribbon.
          Quoth Eevie View Post
          I just need to rant. And I need kitty snuggles... Lots and lots of kitty snuggles...
          Kitty snuggles are the best antidote to SC poison.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            "And I have one finger for you! You can even count it! See, ONE!"
            Just one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6vx18BmHA

Colin, meanwhile, has two:

"Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
              I HATE that tone! I can't stand being treated like a child who doesn't know any better! I mean I know I'm 18 and young, but come on now!
              Unfortunately I don't think it's an age thing.

Wee story: some months ago I brought my family, visiting from Italy, to visit a castle. That castle had something like that: you could get a sheet of small activities at the entrance and at the end of your visit you'd get a small token (THE DUKE'S COIN!) from the gift shop.

We get to the gift shop, at the counter there is a lady in her 50s if not older.

Then a woman arrives. "LADY, GIVE ME THE COIN FOR MY DAUGHTER!" (really, "LADY"). "Yes, did she complete her activity sheet? Did she enjoy her visit?" "NOT DOING ANY STUPID ACTIVITIES, GIVE ME THE COIN!" (note that there was no daughter in sight).

I mean... really?

Mind, the plastic coins were cute.
              FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

I get SC's every once in a while who talk to me like I'm some stupid kid, and I'm 33 years old! It happens. It does piss me off because it makes me feel like they don't think I know how to do my job. More than likely, the confusion about whatever it is is because they're the one who is an idiot. They just don't realize it
                Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Im with melinda..age doesnt factor in on condescention....a jerk is a jerk. And those "ladies"were prime examples of that

Comment

I love getting people who swear up and down that there's no way I'm a quilter because I'm not an old granny, so clearly I'm just an overpriced reseller.

*offers her deaf kitty Stella for snuggles*
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

That's because people expect the craft-type things to be of the boomer generation. Gen-X and below are "suppose" to be the computer savvy know-it-alls. And heaven help you if you know how to cross stitch and build a comp! It's just not done, I tell yas!

Seriously, my 60 year old mom has been spoken to like she was a child. She decided to insult them by treating them like the dotty old folks, even though she thought they might be in their late 40s.
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                        Seriously, my 60 year old mom has been spoken to like she was a child. She decided to insult them by treating them like the dotty old folks, even though she thought they might be in their late 40s.
                        And of course you're going to relate some of these glorious stories to us...
                        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                          That's because people expect the craft-type things to be of the boomer generation. Gen-X and below are "suppose" to be the computer savvy know-it-alls. And heaven help you if you know how to cross stitch and build a comp! It's just not done, I tell yas!
                          Raises HIS hand. I can do both, though admittedly I'm out of practice in both. Haven't cross stitched since I got out of university, and other than installing a new hard drive in my new computer I haven't built a machine in ages. But I can do both (and I'd rather cross stitch than build computers. :P )

My junior high school had your standard Home Ec and Workshop courses that everyone could take. And I loved the cooking and sewing ones as much, if not more than the woodworking and metal working ones. (Not much of a tailor now, but I learned how to crossstitch in one of them and loved that).

Comment

Free stuff, how I hate thee. When I was a sales rep, we had booths at trade shows. People in three piece suits and grey hairs would quite literally claw each other to death to get free coat hangers or coffee cups. The year we had a popcorn machine was a nightmare for us booth jockeys.

Even now, I don't try the free stuff at Costco if there is more than three or four people in line. I'm not climbing over anybody's head to get a bite of chicken. And I don't want to get trampled by the chocolate-deprived.
                            It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Quoth Cecily View Post
                              People in three piece suits and grey hairs would quite literally claw each other to death to get free coat hangers or coffee cups. T
                              I hope you have pics....

Comment

Working...
                              X